BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-17-2023, 12:15 AM   #1
sarugby4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

High Flow Catted Downpipes - no CEL??

Any options for high flow catted primaries that will not cause a CEL?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 01:39 AM   #2
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

It's going to run you about 3K and they are out of stock according to the website and made to order. You will have to contact them. Ben from RgSport believes in the product and has tested them. He may have a connection. Hit him up via PM on here.

I have personally went non-cat and used a can-bus delete to eliminate the CEL.

https://store.activeautowerke.com/?g...hoCSu8QAvD_BwE
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

From all of my years on the forum even high flow catted downpipes will eventually throw a CEL unless you do extra measures to prevent it.
      05-17-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
sarugby4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBeemed View Post
It's going to run you about 3K and they are out of stock according to the website and made to order. You will have to contact them. Ben from RgSport believes in the product and has tested them. He may have a connection. Hit him up via PM on here.

I saw these - and they look pretty good! Will chat with Ben.
Appreciate 2
GotBeemed415.50
r33_RGSport13099.50
      05-17-2023, 10:32 AM   #5
sarugby4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBeemed View Post

I remember you talking about this. Did the can bus bypass clear customs? Is it installed? Video clip? It must sound amazing.
Appreciate 2
GotBeemed415.50
r33_RGSport13099.50
      05-17-2023, 05:40 PM   #6
GotBeemed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 911, F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarugby4life View Post
I remember you talking about this. Did the can bus bypass clear customs? Is it installed? Video clip? It must sound amazing.
Hey buddy. Yes, I plan on creating a very detailed thread about my experience with LEIB Engineering. I have been testing all the components involved so I can make a detailed, vetted review. I will also include other can bus delete modules out there for sale as well to provide options. I will probably have the thread and videos, photos uploaded within the next two weeks.

I will include the best sound clips and videos to the best of my ability.

Stay tuned brother
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #7
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
From all of my years on the forum even high flow catted downpipes will eventually throw a CEL unless you do extra measures to prevent it.
ran custom ones from AMS in chicago on my M6 2014 with no issues no CEL. was fantastic but a touch loud with lambo cats.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 06:36 PM   #8
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Good luck. I had 200 cell CATs (plus O2 sensor extensions) on my 2020 X5M comp for quite awhile and always got a CEL. Sometimes it would take weeks, sometimes days. Very inconsistent (just enough to get my inspection sticker lol) Oddly, certain gas stations gave me a light sooner than others…

YMMV but if I were to do it again, I’d just go full DPs or keep it stock. The 200 cell do keep the hydrocarbons down a bit but the smell
Is still very present. There’s also negligible power increase as opposed to going catless. Not worth the huge increase in price imho.

Sound improvement is amazing (as would full DPs), but startup is insanely loud. At least if you go catless you could eventuallly tune the cold start out and the start up would be much more tolerable. Just my 2 cents but it’s a crap shoot on whether you’ll get a CEL or not.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 08:58 AM   #9
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
Good luck. I had 200 cell CATs (plus O2 sensor extensions) on my 2020 X5M comp for quite awhile and always got a CEL. Sometimes it would take weeks, sometimes days. Very inconsistent (just enough to get my inspection sticker lol) Oddly, certain gas stations gave me a light sooner than others…

YMMV but if I were to do it again, I’d just go full DPs or keep it stock. The 200 cell do keep the hydrocarbons down a bit but the smell
Is still very present. There’s also negligible power increase as opposed to going catless. Not worth the huge increase in price imho.

Sound improvement is amazing (as would full DPs), but startup is insanely loud. At least if you go catless you could eventuallly tune the cold start out and the start up would be much more tolerable. Just my 2 cents but it’s a crap shoot on whether you’ll get a CEL or not.
Thanks for that feedback. I can’t deal with a CEL on this car. In that case, I might just delete the secondaries and leave the primaries stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:31 AM   #10
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
It’s not healthy for the car either so I’d stay away unless you plan to tune it.

It will sound very nice with the secondaries removed and you should be safe from a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:32 AM   #11
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I do have 200 cell cats and secondary’s for sale if you are interested in just the secondaries we could work something out
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 12:47 PM   #12
sarugby4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice! I have secondary cat delete and a full Akra system currently. But wanted it louder hence my questions!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:57 PM   #13
///MSD_MD
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M, 2023 BMW X7

Did you notice much improvement in sound with the catless secondaries + catback (versus the catback alone)?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 10:16 PM   #14
sarugby4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSD_MD View Post
Did you notice much improvement in sound with the catless secondaries + catback (versus the catback alone)?
I did them at the same time. But from what I have seen from others the catless secondaries definitely make more noise!
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 08:10 AM   #15
///MSD_MD
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M, 2023 BMW X7

Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 10:03 AM   #16
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I have secondary cat delete and a full Akra system currently. But wanted it louder hence my questions!
You must really like it LOUD lol.

I still have my factory downpipes and only changed out to the Dinan Xpipe with Akra rear section and its pretty stupid loud on cold starts now. Cruising volume is solid but once I put my foot down it screams like an exotic. Can't imagine with secondary cats removed....

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 05-24-2023 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 12:56 PM   #17
Warehouser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X5M TBlue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
You must really like it LOUD lol.

I still have my factory downpipes and only changed out to the Dinan Xpipe with Akra rear section and its pretty stupid loud on cold starts now. Cruising volume is solid but once I put my foot down it screams like an exotic. Can't imagine with secondary cats....

Alan
Same, but I have a full Akra system. Sound is perfect.
      05-24-2023, 07:42 PM   #18
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
It is VERY loud with the catted downpipes and secondary delete. Turbo whistle is very pronounced and exhaust note is much louder. To me it sounded quite good, especially when just cruising around you get a lot of turbo noise and overrun. Lots of attention by people.

I kept my factory exhaust on and it was crazy loud, particularly at cold start or wide open throttle. Secondary delete adds quite a bit of sound, I’d say more so than just an exhaust system. You really need to want a loud exhaust note if you start messing with downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 08:24 PM   #19
ipayincash
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 comp

Quote:
Any options for high flow catted primaries that will not cause a CEL?
I also have been searching for this setup (catted primary with no CEL) and found Redstar exhaust USA makes them, I called and Sean the owner answered, I explained I am mostly after the turbo spooling sounds and the no CEL, he walked me through everything and said to go with the "HJS HD 200cpsi 130mm" ($3,300 with heat shielding) and said it would not through the CEL. I now found a couple others that make them, Evolution Racewerks $1400, Racing Dynamics $2,250 (and AA but they don't count since they through CEL). Haven't decided who to pull the trigger with but probably going with Redstar since I spoke to the owner and he told me himself it won't through the CEL feels like a safer bet.... I'm really after the turbo spool sounds but literally almost nobody ever posts videos from the front where the turbos are to hear the increase in sound after upgrades even Dinan when promoting the CAI never posted videos so we could hear the difference. But everybody posts the rear and exhaust sounds only, if you could post a video of your turbos spooling that would be amazing as I'm really planning on going full akra and downpipes as well.... Or anybody without a tune that has upgrades and can hear the difference it would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 11:44 AM   #20
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
No matter what catted downpipes you install, you will more than likely get a CEL. Every manufacturer is going to advertise no CEL but the S63 motors are not downpipe friendly. Even guys running super sprint CATs got CELs quite often and those babies cost like 4-5k.

Maybe it doesn’t occur often but you will certainly get one. Don’t waste your money. Without a tune, installing a 200 cell cat is negatively impacting your fuel mixture and you will run more lean. Likely will cause other issues down the road. You may gain a tiny bit of power but nothing worth the price. The sound improvement is really nice but it is quite loud.

Take it from me, if you’re not tuning, just remove the secondary CATs and invest in an exhaust, or simply remove the mid pipe resonators on the OEM exhaust. I have some videos of inside the car, cold start up and racing if you want I can send them to you. PM your email.
Appreciate 1
matowi342.50
      05-28-2023, 05:07 PM   #21
ipayincash
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
No matter what catted downpipes you install, you will more than likely get a CEL. Every manufacturer is going to advertise no CEL but the S63 motors are not downpipe friendly. Even guys running super sprint CATs got CELs quite often and those babies cost like 4-5k.

Maybe it doesn’t occur often but you will certainly get one. Don’t waste your money. Without a tune, installing a 200 cell cat is negatively impacting your fuel mixture and you will run more lean. Likely will cause other issues down the road. You may gain a tiny bit of power but nothing worth the price. The sound improvement is really nice but it is quite loud.

Take it from me, if you’re not tuning, just remove the secondary CATs and invest in an exhaust, or simply remove the mid pipe resonators on the OEM exhaust. I have some videos of inside the car, cold start up and racing if you want I can send them to you. PM your email.
What about installing the secondary downpipes, intake and full akrapovic link & exhaust without a tune ? Does this also change the flow of the oem system enough to negatively impact the longevity and reliability ? I was planning on this build and I plan on keeping this car for several years def didn't want to have issues down the road, actually I was thinking it was making it better and last longer not worse
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 07:53 PM   #22
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
One thing to keep in mind is that the more flow of air you increase thru the engine, the more pressure you put on certain components, particularly those that BMW may have cut costs on by using plastic. I’ll give you an example from my own experience. After installing the catted downpipes, and piggyback tune for several months, I installed the dinan carbon intake. That intake brings air into the system in a much higher volume than stock. Immediately after install I got a drivetrain malfunction that took months to resolve. Ended up being that the plastic ends on the intercoolers cracked from the added pressure and I had to replace both intercoolers (on my dime because of mods - dealer good willed one for me). Not saying this would happen to you but it could and it was $2500 per intercooler installed.

After that experience, I decided to remove the mods altogether and drive the car in stock form until I ultimately traded it in. Car was a beast with the mods and sounded amazing, but it wasn’t worth the headaches, time in service and extra money to repair. I lost confidence to drive it hard and it drove me crazy to have a CEL randomly pop up in a $125k super truck.

But to your question, I’d say you are perfectly safe with secondary delete, intake and an Akra full system. Car would sound very nice and you wouldn’t be messing with Air/Fuel at all. Although the intake won’t do much for performance and you won’t hear that much sound in the cabin either so that may be one you can save your money on. It’s really once you start messing with downpipes that you’d need to be thoughtful on properly tuning to the set up for optimization and longevity
Appreciate 2