BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

iDrive 8, iDrive 7 & Chip Shortages

Notice at the end of the article when they talk about the chip shortages, they say "BMW is “fighting for every single production day” but hasn’t lost one yet." They don't mention anything about deleting Options in order to not lose a production day.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/15/bm...rating-system/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Did anyone notice “ As for current cars with the iDrive 7, Weber noted that those cars will get some of the features from iDrive 8 that can be ported back to it — and iDrive 7 will continue to get updates as well.”

And Weber said. “All the things — and the good and interesting new things from iD8 that can be transferred to iD7, iD7 we’ll get those upgrades. But like a particular function on a phone, not all of them can be transferred back to the previous generation. So most of it can be transferred, but not all of them. But certainly, we will continue to work on updating the previous generation. We won’t stop that.”
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Notice at the end of the article when they talk about the chip shortages, they say "BMW is “fighting for every single production day” but hasn’t lost one yet." They don't mention anything about deleting Options in order to not lose a production day.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/03/15/bm...rating-system/
Arguably, deleting option choices for some cars temporarily is a better option than completely shutting down production and putting people out of work.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #4
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Great article, but a little disappointed BMW has decided to go with the iPAD on the dash design, I prefer having the cockpit instrument cluster view in front of me, I'm glad I invested in the G05.

To be fair, I sat in GLE400 a week ago - a mate of mine just bought one, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. The small section of the screen behind the steering (on the left for me, right for the guys in the U.S) wheel is actually not used (as far as I could tell), and the graphics and clarity of the display were really great - arguably better that the G05. The dash behind the screen actually comes up flush to the top of the screen, so there is no gap behind it. A well executed and clean design, but when I got back behind my G05 I still prefer it.

I'm glad to hear the iDrive 7 will continue getting upgraded, obviously it still has lots of potential and is a great system, however some of the graphics could be improved - and I like what I see from that iDrive 8 article.
Appreciate 0