03-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
gedm
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50d

M50d ceramic coated

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Had the car ceramic coated the other week. Full machine polish with a gtechniq coat on the paint, wheels, and calipers.

It came out really well, no more endless cleaning and waxing

Some pics from the detailer:
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Auricom4357.00
Seansta31.50
bmw136825.00
      03-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Nitromkv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Supra A91 MT, 23 Braptor

That looks amazing! wow, what wheels are those? I see they are INDV, your car is arctic grey over Ivory correct? any nice interior shots?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
Nitromkv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Supra A91 MT, 23 Braptor

also how do you have the adaptive cruise sensor up front but I don't see the controls on your wheel? In the U.S if you don't get DAP you have no sensor in that location
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
EasternLI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21%E2%80%99 X5 40i MSport

Car looks great and I wish the NA market had those wheels as an option, their great looking
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 12:16 AM   #5
sunnyxc
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X5 40i

looks great, but remember some test shows the coating is only lasting for 3-6 months.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:45 AM   #6
gedm
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys!

The coating has a 3 year guarantee, and it goes back to the detailer every 12 months for a correction and coat top-up.
They also had coats with 4 and 5 year guarantees, but that was with Angelwax, and I preferred the look of the gtechnic.

Adaptive cruise was one of the few options I didn't go for. It has regular cruise, auto braking, and lane correction, but I just don't have a use for the full Tesla like experience. Not sure what sensor you're looking at? The front camera perhaps?

Wheels are 22" Individual V-spoke 746, and interior is Merino Individual Ivory White.

Full list of options I went for is as follows:
  • Arctic Grey
  • Merino Individual Ivory White
  • 22" Individual 22" V-spoke 746
  • Sky Lounge roof
  • 3rd row seating
  • 2 axle air suspension
  • Integral active steering
  • Crafted clarity
  • Individual Piano black
  • Sun protection glass
  • Comfort Plus pack
    • Ambient Air
    • Rear Side Window Blinds
    • Four zone aircon
    • Heated / cooled cup holders
    • Heat comfort system
    • Front / rear heated seats
    • Soft close doors
    • Comfort access
    • Front comfort seats
    • Ventilated front seats
    • Front massage seats
  • Technology Plus pack (without Driving assistant Pro)*
    • Gesture control
    • Head-up display
    • Drive Recorder
    • Parking Assistant Plus
  • Visibility pack
    • Laserlights with high beam assistant
(excuse the list, I've never actually written this out before, so it's as much for me as anyone else)

Of the above, here are my most and least favorites:

Top options:
- 22" wheels. The ride is still silky smooth, I'd recommend 22"s to everyone
- Merino Individual seats. Get the best leather you can afford. Considering that's where you spend your time, it's worth every penny.
- Sky Lounge. I know some people don't really get it, but it opens up the cabin so much and just floods it with light. It's essential IMO, especially in the UK where it can get a bit gloomy in the winter months. The car feels enclosed if I ever close it.
- Air suspension. Being able to drop the car when accessing the rear, or just to make it look cool in sport mode is really useful.
- Head-up display. Obvious reasons, it's amazing. I rarely use the main dash now.
- Ventilated and massage seats. By no means essential, but great for long drives, if it weren't for the kids I could probably do 8 hours solid without feeling uncomfortable
- Laserlights. They're tremendous!
- Crafted clarity. It's a bit bling, but it really does make the cabin more special. Everyone who's been in the car has commented on the stick.

Bottom options:
- Gesture control. It's completely useless, I turned it off.
- Ambient air. Not sure I get it. Just spray some air freshener if you weirdly feel the need

Wishes:
- I forgot to get the towbar. I'm kicking myself now, it's really expensive to retrofit.
- Acoustic glass. It's quiet enough as it is, but I'm hearing really good things from people on the forum, kinda wish I'd have spec'ed it now.

*In case people were wondering how, I basically took the regular Tech pack and added Drive Recorder and Parking Assistant Plus.

Last edited by gedm; 03-31-2021 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 3
330dMSXD103.00
IFlyX5236.50
Seansta31.50
      04-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #7
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

Looks amazing!
      04-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #8
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

well done with the coating...looks super nice!

About options, I agree with you all major things except ACC - this is one of my top list options, I can´t live without it
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Looks great! I believe they were referring to the radar sensor in the centre just below the car plate in front. I believe it would be used for the emergency braking system, if not for other things too? Mine has adaptive cruise control but not the more autonomous highway driving capabilities, and has the radar sensor too.

I'm guessing yours was coated with Crystal Serum Light? Your detailer knows how to take photos much better than mine...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Could I ask if the third row seating is covered in Merino leather or is it Vernasca?

I heard somewhere that if you spec Merino and third row seating the third row is not covered with Merino but Vernasca.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
gedm
United Kingdom
Rep

hiki08 yeah it was the Crystal Serum Light that was used. Gtechniq actually gives it a 5 year guarantee, but my detailer lists and maintains it as a 3 year coating. Although with the yearly topups (around £70), I believe the guarantee is extended continually.

Gotcha about the radar sensor, that makes more sense. I'm not sure on the exact use when you have it without the full Driving Assistant Professional package?? I've just read through what the DAP offers, and the car definitely does some of it, including collision detection and auto braking, and lane drifting and auto correction.

I wonder if it has all the hardware necessary for full DAP, but is only switched on via software?

330dMSXD Oh that's an interesting question. I actually don't know, and haven't checked. I haven't had chance to use the 3rd row yet due to lockdown restrictions and not being able to have other people in the car. I'll check for you next I'm in the car (and the rear is empty enough to raise them)
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      04-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #12
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedm View Post
330dMSXD Oh that's an interesting question. I actually don't know, and haven't checked. I haven't had chance to use the 3rd row yet due to lockdown restrictions and not being able to have other people in the car. I'll check for you next I'm in the car (and the rear is empty enough to raise them)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #13
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedm View Post
hiki08 yeah it was the Crystal Serum Light that was used. Gtechniq actually gives it a 5 year guarantee, but my detailer lists and maintains it as a 3 year coating. Although with the yearly topups (around £70), I believe the guarantee is extended continually.

Gotcha about the radar sensor, that makes more sense. I'm not sure on the exact use when you have it without the full Driving Assistant Professional package?? I've just read through what the DAP offers, and the car definitely does some of it, including collision detection and auto braking, and lane drifting and auto correction.

I wonder if it has all the hardware necessary for full DAP, but is only switched on via software?

I believe with the full driver assist suite, you get two front-facing cameras up on the windscreen instead of 1 you see now. You also miss out on the infrared sensors on your dash behind the wheel which detects driver alertness (I think). So it's not only software limited.

The lane keeping assist with the basic assistance package works from 70km/hr upwards. You see a green icon lighting up on your dash when it's active. I've never found it to actually do anything to help me keen in lane though.

On the other hand, the auto collision avoiding/braking system is generally a delight. Have had it beep at me when I almost missed a car braking to a standstill very shortly after a green light with plenty of space in front of it as it decided to let a bus in the lane. I did the braking but I'm pretty sure it helped me apply more pressure quickly.

Anyway, these are great systems and one of the key reasons I decided to change over to a new car. How I wish I could have gotten the M50i! I know you're not in the US but the M50i there sells for the same price as the xDrive40i X Line here...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 05:07 AM   #14
gedm
United Kingdom
Rep

330dMSXD Apologies it took so long to get back to you on this, last weekend was the first time I stripped the rear seats and boot back to be able to pull the seats out (2 kids seats, 2 seat protectors, full boot and rear cabin covers)

Anyway, to my untrained eye, the leather looked virtually identical. The leather felt slightly harder, but that's possibly due to the seats being slimmer and never being sat in.

It's probably not the detailed answer you were looking for, but I honestly found it hard to tell the difference. Perhaps if I had some Vernasca leather to compare against it might've been more obvious.

hiki08 Yeah agree with everything you've said there. It's such good tech.
I also occasionally find myself wishing I'd have gone for the M50i (or X5M) too. I have a few road trips coming up with the kids this summer, so I'll be glad of the 50d then. I do also think the 50d is the better overall car, so I did make the right decision overall. But it's hard to shake that "what if" thought, and that want for a V8 soundtrack.
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      06-27-2021, 05:11 AM   #15
Seansta
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Wow man that is shinny and glassy hot.

How long will the ceramic coating realistically last? I’m weighing up doing it?
Appreciate 0