BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2022, 10:08 PM   #1
GForce55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Dog hair prevention

Wasn't sure where to post this but I wanted to pick everyone's brain about an issue I will most likely come across in the cargo area of the X5 with all the carpet on the sides and back of the seats. Dog Hair! I have 2 shed heavy Aussies and I know with all the carpet lining in the cargo area that dog hair is bound to get embedded and never want to come out. I have a great liner for the base but was unable to find something similar to what my wife has in her blazer. She has a mat that also attached to the back of her back seats so even those are covered mostly. The sides of hers are plastic so she doesn't have to worry about dog hair as much. I want to be able to take my dogs in my new X5 but I don't want to have to worry about it always looking trashed with dog hair. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
DLam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

i got canvasback liner for the cargo area. Got the base that covers the back of the seats and sides as well. I had this for my durango and worked well.

https://www.canvasback.com/
      08-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Don Cannelloni
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMWX5 45e 2022, BMW330e 2023

I used to use a cover that protected the base and the sides but went back to using my BMW boot cover as hair from my German Shepherd (or German Shedder as he is referred to at home...) will find its way into the car no matter what you do. It usually comes in from peoples shoes into the footwells in front of all the seats. For this reason I regularly use a good handheld dustbuster, a good carpet brush for pet hair (small so that it gets into the awkward places) and take out and clean my bootliner after every trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
trailsquidx5
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

There's quite a few on the market so you have a TON of options. Tried a few over the years and there are some in hard plastic (weathertech, etc) and soft material as well.

Dogs prefer the soft material because it's easier to keep footing (non slip) and also lay on while you're driving. The two I've tried are:

1) Ruff Rugs
2) Canvasback

Both are around the same price range and have their differences. Ruff Rugs has nicer material, is padded for dogs, and I've found ships faster (they keep it in stock), Canvasback is made to order, less refined material but is made to order in case you want anything specific...holes to cut out.

Both are custom to the X5 and great companies so you can't go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 10:24 AM   #5
kvertdiego
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Have Ruff Rugs in my current and like the fit. Upgrading to the new and actually think it will fit the new model too.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
GForce55
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for your suggestions. As I mention in the original post, I have a liner/mat for the base already that I like. I really don't want to pay the full amount for the entire canvas cover and I only noticed that canvasback only sells the sides as a separate option. That is better than nothing but is there one that will sell the seat back covers and the side covers separately? I just don't want to spend that much when I wont even use the base.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
trailsquidx5
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Yes, I've ordered sides separately from both Canvas and Ruff Rugs. They attached with a double stick velcro
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
GForce55
Private First Class
Rep

I saw that I can order sides but don't see a way to order sear backs
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 12:04 AM   #9
jontron
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Love my dogs. Hate their constant shedding.

Even with a cargo liner I still get hair stuck in the carpet. But my liner also isn't a perfect fit.

This thing does a great job lifting hair out of the carpeting so it can be removed further.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0