BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Reset Tire Pressure Monitor?

I have a persisting Low Tire Pressure warning on my iDrive, despite all tires being properly inflated to the recommended pressure. They were indeed low, prompting me to refill, but ever since the message has persisted. When I click into the TPM menu, the proper pressures are shown and the tires are green, but the yellow warning indicator for low pressure still is present. I've tried resetting iDrive to no avail. There used to be a manual TPM Reset function in iDrive but I cannot locate it in any menu.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #2
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Are your tires set to the correct size and speed in the menu? Try changing it then changing it back to the correct settings.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
mrichione I also noticed the missing 'Reset' selection on ID7 (been driving bimmers since 2008). what we have to do now is go into TPMS menu and select "Tire settings" despite the manual stating OTW. kinda annoying…

when you back out of the menu, iDrive will tell you to drive off so it can read the new pressures. others may tell you the notification should simply disappear after topping up, but that's not what I've experienced.
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 09-30-2021 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Once you have inflated the tires to the proper levels, you MUST tell the system to run a TPMS reset. It uses that value obtained during the reset as the 'correct' base value, and will issue an error message when the pressure gets below that by a predetermined amount. So, if the pressure in the tires was higher when they were last reset (not uncommon when shipped from the factory), just lowering them to the proper value doesn't reset that baseline value, so the computer now thinks they are too soft. Now, if you have a slow leak, and then add some air back to the proper value, you should not need to reset that baseline pressure value again (but might want to look into why the pressure dropped!). Only when moving a tire, or swapping locations, or deciding to change the baseline pressure you want to monitor, do you have to reset the TPMS again.

It's not uncommon to get that error message if they're a little low, and then, after driving and heating the tire up, the pressure goes up, and the warning goes away.

The option to reset is in the last OTA update I got (3.21.xx), and needs to be there. Resetting iDrive does not reset the base value of the TPMS pressure.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
1) Once you have inflated the tires to the proper levels, you MUST tell the system to run a TPMS reset.
[…]
2) Only when moving a tire, or swapping locations, or deciding to change the baseline pressure you want to monitor, do you have to reset the TPMS again.
[…]
The option to reset is in the last OTA update I got (3.21.xx), and needs to be there.
this is confusing. which one is it? 1 or 2? (this topic has come up before, but answers aren't consistent.) the OP just topped them up, so according to #1, he needs to reset, and topping up didn't fit #2, but he still had to reset, so???

I'm on 03/2021.50 and there isn't a selection to reset. please show us a photo on yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If your TPMS says there is an error (which you indicated was true), and you have the proper pressure in them now, you MUST do a reset. If you move or substitute new, or decide you want a new 'normal' pressure, you must also then do a reset. So, for your situation is it both 1 and 2. Normally, only 2.

For whatever reason, the menu changed. When on the TPMS status page, AFTER you've got everything where you want it (right pressures and tire type), tell it to SAVE SETTINGS. If you then look at it, it will say resetting TPMS regardless of not changing any of the menu options. To get that done, you have to drive the vehicle some so it can reverify what TPMS are installed and where they are installed, and that takes a bit of time as they only broadcast about once every 30-seconds, and it's looking for changes in rotation rates to identify where each tire is located on the chassis (only one receiver, not one at each wheel). It's using the rotation rates and distance traveled from the ABS, and eventually figures out which wheel is where based on their different paths as you go around curves/corners where each tire takes a different path. It'll take a lot longer if the road is ruler straight. Circle a block and it should go faster.

FWIW, you have to do this while in the READY state.
Appreciate 0