12-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #397
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
So let me see if I understand you. You feel sympathy for a guy having to pay but take pleasure in a woman having to pay regardless of the circumstances but purely based on gender. That's nice.
Yes I do and the circumstances are always the same regardless of gender. The courts have been very unfair to fathers so therefore party on

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #398
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

We should get rid of these shitty laws. Isn't everyone equal now?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #399
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Well what happened to you, as a female, up until about 10 years ago was extremely rare. Like unicorn sighting rare.

One thing that I see more frequently (I often have to review divorce decrees) is husbands winning full custody of the kids. I see that, by a wide margin, more often than wife having to pay alimony.
in colorado the wife has to dam near be a heroin addict that routinely kills people to not get custody.

recently a friend got divorced where the wife just up and left and wanted nothing to do with the kids. My friend still had to fight the court tooth and nail to get custody of them, and then fight to not have to pay her any alimony.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      12-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #400
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguywithanm3 View Post
We should get rid of these shitty laws. Isn't everyone equal now?
LOL no, women are privileged nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #401
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

My friend is currently getting a divorce. The wife wants a few million in cash plus 20k a month for life. Her attorney was convincing him that this is extremely fair offer and he should sign the docs. He said - that this is indeed a fair offer so he will take the cash and 20k a month and she can keep everything else... And the fair offer - stopped being so fair
Appreciate 4
      12-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #402
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Was it one of those single use ones?? Just because she can't take it off, doesn't mean you're still married!
Of course it was a crimp-on hose clamp. Couldn't go with a zebra clamp, because the tab hanging out of the worm screw would get snagged on clothes and stuff.....
      12-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #403
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #404
someguywithanm3
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
My friend is currently getting a divorce. The wife wants a few million in cash plus 20k a month for life. Her attorney was convincing him that this is extremely fair offer and he should sign the docs. He said - that this is indeed a fair offer so he will take the cash and 20k a month and she can keep everything else... And the fair offer - stopped being so fair
Too bad he can't just cash out his accounts and move overseas.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #405
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post
2 words...Pre...Nup...
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #406
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
2 words...Pre...Nup...
"It's something that you need to have, 'cause when she leaves your butt she's gonna leave with half."

K. West, Circa June 2005
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
      12-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #407
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
"It's something that you need to have, 'cause when she leaves your butt she's gonna leave with half."

K. West, Circa June 2005
i love you even more now that you've quoted kanye
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      12-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #408
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Wasn't around for the first part of the thread either. Sorry you got divorced.

Ive been engaged three times, bought rings three times but luckily, never went through with the marriage the first two times. There were warning signs and i luckily listened the first couple times. Married the third one, happy i did.

Speaking of the rings, each lady insisted their ring was better than the last lady. So i spent $12k, then $15k, then $22k. Even the $22k ring is less than 1 month salary but as a CPA i don't blow money frivolously.

For those thinking of buying a ring. Buy a nice ring that she will be proud of but don't be stupid with spending tons of money if you cant afford it. Financial problems are the number 1 reason for divorce. Be smart with money! If she wants a ring better than her friends ring even if she knows you cant really afford it, then she is not the right girl for you!
Just to emphasize, this guy casually mentions he makes minimum $275,000 as a CPA.

😂
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #409
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Wasn't around for the first part of the thread either. Sorry you got divorced.

Ive been engaged three times, bought rings three times but luckily, never went through with the marriage the first two times. There were warning signs and i luckily listened the first couple times. Married the third one, happy i did.

Speaking of the rings, each lady insisted their ring was better than the last lady. So i spent $12k, then $15k, then $22k. Even the $22k ring is less than 1 month salary but as a CPA i don't blow money frivolously.

For those thinking of buying a ring. Buy a nice ring that she will be proud of but don't be stupid with spending tons of money if you cant afford it. Financial problems are the number 1 reason for divorce. Be smart with money! If she wants a ring better than her friends ring even if she knows you cant really afford it, then she is not the right girl for you!
Just to emphasize, this guy casually mentions he makes minimum $275,000 as a CPA.

😂
I made over $15k this month in the stock market. Apple is killing it lately. That's in addition to my salary. So not sure how this rule applies to unearned income when calculating 2.5 times your salary for a ring.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #410
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
2 words...Pre...Nup...
I honestly don't know why this isn't super common. Most other countries, no one would ever consider marriage without one.

Wife and I did a pre-nup, super straight forward. It laid out what we each came into the marriage with and noted that in event of a divorce, we would each get what we came in with, and everything else would be split 50/50, no exceptions.

Seemed straight to me. Not sure why it's so hard.
bimmer4562938.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      12-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #411
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post

😂
Why is that odd? I'm a CPA. So is the wife. Our household income is about double that.

I have several CPA friends who make several million a year.

This is somewhat common.
      12-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #412
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Why is that odd? I'm a CPA. So is the wife. Our household income is about double that.

This is somewhat common.

Man if only I'd known/they told us in high school that a CPA could make this much money I would have for sure have worked to get in to the career. I've always been pretty good with numbers.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #413
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I honestly don't know why this isn't super common. Most other countries, no one would ever consider marriage without one.

Wife and I did a pre-nup, super straight forward. It laid out what we each came into the marriage with and noted that in event of a divorce, we would each get what we came in with, and everything else would be split 50/50, no exceptions.

Seemed straight to me. Not sure why it's so hard.
I agree pre-nups should be standard/required as it just eliminates the bull**** with..."Oh you don't love me...." or "You're not serious about this marriage if you're already thinking the worst with divorce...."

While it's not totally needed depending on the state you live in, it just cuts out a lot of the BS where the other party lays claim on pre-marital assets which they know is pre-marital.

In my case, a pre-nup would have been very helpful in cutting through all the crap and we could have focused on what is marital. Fortunately, the state laws where I am do have fairly rigid guidelines on what is pre-marital so my soon to be ex couldn't lay any claim on it. When going through a divorce, any semblance of what you think your spouse is/was goes out the window and you'll see the side of that person you've never even thought existed. Yes, there are amicable divorces and that's great. But those are few and far between. Most of the time, expect things to get real messy. My ex was going after a bunch of things which made absolutely no sense and were no marital. Some of the things I just gave up to look at the ultimate prize of just having closure so I can move on. Other things I stood my ground on and thank goodness I'm a pack rat. I had receipts for items she was attempting to lay claim on for items I purchased pre marriage many years ago.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      12-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #414
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post

Man if only I'd known/they told us in high school that a CPA could make this much money I would have for sure have worked to get in to the career. I've always been pretty good with numbers.
So go back to school? I did. I started out in the government intelligence sector. After being blown up, I got out of that line of work and went back to grad school.

Can make partner at a big four firm in about 12-15 years. Income will typically be high 6 figures to start, several million per year after some seniority.

CFO at last employer was a CPA, made about $750K/yr plus about another $1.2m/yr in deferred comp, total around $2m/yr total compensation.

He was 36.

12-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #415
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
After being blown up
thanks for taking one for the team
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
vreihen1614883.50
      12-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #416
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
thanks for taking one for the team
I took several. Fucking IED and I was a civilian at the time. Shoulda stayed in the Navy, lol - no IED's on subs.

MKSixer34171.50
DETRoadster11446.00
      12-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #417
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

This is somewhat common.
No it's not. You're talking about unicorns. Stop acting like rare incomes in your profession are "somewhat common."

My dad's a professor. He makes a little over $1 million a year ($400k base plus $1000 an hour consulting). It is by no means common to make that as a professor. It's incredibly rare. Most professors barely hit six figures and senior professors may make it up to $150,000/year.

He would never recommend that my brother and I become professors just because he makes a million a year. In fact he actively warned us against doing so.

It's the same story with CPAs. To suggest someone go to grad school and then cite some CFO/CPA that makes $2 million a year as an example is deceptive.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      12-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #418
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
No it's not. You're talking about unicorns. Stop acting like rare incomes in your profession are "somewhat common."

My dad's a professor. He makes a little over $1 million a year ($400k base plus $1000 an hour consulting). It is by no means common to make that as a professor. It's incredibly rare. Most professors barely hit six figures and senior professors may make it up to $150,000/year.

He would never recommend that my brother and I become professors just because he makes a million a year. In fact he actively warned us against doing so.

It's the same story with CPAs. To suggest someone go to grad school and then cite some CFO/CPA that makes $2 million a year as an example is deceptive.
Sorry man, you're wrong. Literally every single manager or above in accounting in a decent size company is making six figures. This would be about 4-6 years of experience.

There isn't a single big 4 accountant who is a manager or above making less than six figures. Just those four companies alone probably employee over a hundred thousand people.

If this is news to you, then I don't know what else I can say. I am a CPA - I don't have a single friend who is in the accounting field that I know who is making less than about 80k a year - and those making that are young kids. Anyone at mid level management or better is 100k plus.

In addition - I never said 2mil a year was 'common' - I said $200K a year was common - and it is.
RickFLM410879.00