BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: How would you spend $40k in this specific situation?
$40k very nice E90 M3 30 42.86%
$30k '08 higher mileage E90 M3 + $10k higher mileage S2000 7 10.00%
$10k reliable/safe/boring DD + $30k badass track/fun car (Elise, C6, etc.) and 21 30.00%
Other 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

10-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #23
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
tl;dr

buy something new that you can afford with a proper warranty. maybe a slower bmw.

if you need speed and only have $40k then there's always camaro ss, challenger r/t, and mustang gt.
      10-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #24
rcl
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

M cars are great for cars that serve for dual purpose DD and track car. But as strictly a track car, I think it's mediocre. It'll be very expensive to maintain, and perhaps most importantly the 'fun' aspect of driving a e9x on track is just ok, I had much more fun in the s2000's I've been in. Also it's pretty hard to make the e9x cars go much faster than it already is. The car's just so damn heavy. Guys in their late teens or low 20's with track ready miata's and e30's will be passing an e9x M all day, which sucks because you expect it to be faster.

I would get a DD no matter what, and get a dedicated weekend/track car. S2000 is a great car though.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #25
sweet6speed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6speed

Come to Canada 40k witch is around 52k
U can buy 2011 M3 and also last year do s2000 also u going to c Canada
Think about it )
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #26
sweet6speed
Private
Canada
Rep

And most important u going to try BC kush!! Worth it any penny
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #27
sweet6speed
Private
Canada
Rep

Come to Canada 40k=52k
52k=2011 M3 and last year production S2000
Also Canada = BC kush
Think about it

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:21 AM   #28
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

What the fuck is up with this dude?
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #29
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
What the fuck is up with this dude?
Don't you see clearly he was stoned and didn't realize he wrote the same thing multiple times... Lmao
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #30
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Don't you see clearly he was stoned and didn't realize he wrote the same thing multiple times... Lmao
That's what I was thinking!

I looked at Canadian cars but they're not really much cheaper if at all - not worth the hassle.

There's a place near me that rents an Elise for $349/day. I've been planning on doing that, which may answer some questions. But even if I like it, I'm thinking once we have a kid I'll have so little chance to enjoy it that I'll regret allocating most of my money to that.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #31
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
That's what I was thinking!

I looked at Canadian cars but they're not really much cheaper if at all - not worth the hassle.

There's a place near me that rents an Elise for $349/day. I've been planning on doing that, which may answer some questions. But even if I like it, I'm thinking once we have a kid I'll have so little chance to enjoy it that I'll regret allocating most of my money to that.
one of my great friends has a nB miata, an AP2 S2K and an 2006 elise, he tracks the elise and let me say that thing is phenomenal. He smokes all sorts of cars. It doesnt have a lot of power but man he drives the crap out of it. He also daily drives it 85% of the time, and uses the S2K in the rainm the miata just collects dust. LMAO

He is about 160 and 5'8" though so ingress/ egress is easier than my 200lb 6' ass.

On another note there is a guy in my neghborhood with and exige and I always see him and his like7-8 year old son drive it around, like to home depot an shit. I'm thinking WTF do you pick up at Home Depot and fit in that gokart...

Finally YOLO! I say sell the s2K pick up an elise and drive it for a year and by then you can figure out a dad mobile. If anything likely you will come out fairly even on the elise after taxes, his has held value remarkably well. And M3 will be cheaper in a year too, the elise consumables are less than M3 ( but greater than S2K)

But definitely dont compromise on enjoyment, especially before kids. I bought my 135i thinking it was a great compromise for a daily and a track car. What I found out is you gotta drop 10k (LSD, Suspension) in it to make it decent on the track... So after its said and done I could have just bought the M3 ( although im addicted to modding)

Good Luck and report back if you make a decision.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #32
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Dump your wife and upgrade the car!!!! Best of both worlds
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #33
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

FWIW I doubt you will find a decent Elise for $30k. Those things appreciated like crazy, I wish I could have held on to mine longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #34
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
one of my great friends has a nB miata, an AP2 S2K and an 2006 elise, he tracks the elise and let me say that thing is phenomenal. He smokes all sorts of cars. It doesnt have a lot of power but man he drives the crap out of it. He also daily drives it 85% of the time, and uses the S2K in the rainm the miata just collects dust. LMAO

He is about 160 and 5'8" though so ingress/ egress is easier than my 200lb 6' ass.

On another note there is a guy in my neghborhood with and exige and I always see him and his like7-8 year old son drive it around, like to home depot an shit. I'm thinking WTF do you pick up at Home Depot and fit in that gokart...

Finally YOLO! I say sell the s2K pick up an elise and drive it for a year and by then you can figure out a dad mobile. If anything likely you will come out fairly even on the elise after taxes, his has held value remarkably well. And M3 will be cheaper in a year too, the elise consumables are less than M3 ( but greater than S2K)

But definitely dont compromise on enjoyment, especially before kids. I bought my 135i thinking it was a great compromise for a daily and a track car. What I found out is you gotta drop 10k (LSD, Suspension) in it to make it decent on the track... So after its said and done I could have just bought the M3 ( although im addicted to modding)

Good Luck and report back if you make a decision.
Thanks for the advice! I definitely want to enjoy everything I can, but if anything I've learned recently that certain cars are only enjoyable in certain uses. Case in point: although I think the S2k may be the most fun car I've driven, I haven't fallen in love with it as much as my two past cars (M5 and Integra), and I think it's mainly because it's only good at a couple of things (bulletproof enjoyment on a fun road/track) but sucks at just about everything else. Although I like it, I don't love it like I loved my M5, which put a smile on my face everywhere and was great at so many things, although of course wasn't as sharp and fun on a challenging road.

So as much as going all-out on an Elise and then having something modest for a DD sounds badass, in reality I'm afraid it would only mean that for 95% of my driving I'm not having much fun - either bored in basic car or punished in the Elise (remember my commute is a 70mph cruise). I've heard an S2k is like a Lexus compared to an Elise. Someone on S2ki is selling their Elise because their S2k does 80-90% of the same thing but with a lot less compromise. But yeah, I want to try one soon to see what all the fuss is about. I also worry a bit about the clamshell costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
Dump your wife and upgrade the car!!!! Best of both worlds
Haha I just married her, and she is awesome. Although she doesn't love it when I go to the track (for safety reasons only), she is supportive of my hobby and wants me to get an M3 now instead of later. She tried really hard to talk me out of selling my M5 because she knew how much I loved it, so she's a keeper
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #35
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Thanks for the advice! I definitely want to enjoy everything I can, but if anything I've learned recently that certain cars are only enjoyable in certain uses. Case in point: although I think the S2k may be the most fun car I've driven, I haven't fallen in love with it as much as my two past cars (M5 and Integra), and I think it's mainly because it's only good at a couple of things (bulletproof enjoyment on a fun road/track) but sucks at just about everything else. Although I like it, I don't love it like I loved my M5, which put a smile on my face everywhere and was great at so many things, although of course wasn't as sharp and fun on a challenging road.

So as much as going all-out on an Elise and then having something modest for a DD sounds badass, in reality I'm afraid it would only mean that for 95% of my driving I'm not having much fun - either bored in basic car or punished in the Elise (remember my commute is a 70mph cruise). I've heard an S2k is like a Lexus compared to an Elise. Someone on S2ki is selling their Elise because their S2k does 80-90% of the same thing but with a lot less compromise. But yeah, I want to try one soon to see what all the fuss is about. I also worry a bit about the clamshell costs.

Haha I just married her, and she is awesome. Although she doesn't love it when I go to the track (for safety reasons only), she is supportive of my hobby and wants me to get an M3 now instead of later. She tried really hard to talk me out of selling my M5 because she knew how much I loved it, so she's a keeper
BTW I came from a tastefully modified 2006 6mt TSX ( i have owned 2 once the first hit 115K i sold it and bought my last one in '13, with 36k on it)
Let me tell you it may not be an M5 but I took it to multiple track days. And it was a wonderful car. I love Honda- had a ton of civics- swapped motors and stuff. The TSX would have been a very solid family car with just enough pleasure to drive all the time, and super comfortable. They are reasonable and definitely should be a consideration if you go the 2 car route.

If you do it i can give you some pointers, like the hondata ECU flash completely enhanced the car. I regret having sold mine but alas they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #36
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Voted for the nice E90M3. Buy a car you can enjoy every day.
      10-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #37
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Beater with lotus for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 02:12 AM   #38
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

1m?
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #39
Gle8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4Mc

Just get an STi.

I know, I know. But they are in your budget, check all the boxes, you can get one brand new with a full warranty, and they go like stink when you want them to.

I was just shopping for exactly what you are. Hadn't owned a Subaru since 2005, and since then I've had a bunch of vehicles, including a 996TT and a Z4Mc. I was looking for something with 4 doors (or at minimum a usable back seat), good power, fun to drive, and above all a warranty. I've dumped too much money into used sports cars to get them up to snuff.

At the end of the day, I was still on the fence. Then I saw that the used STi's on dealer lots (and ebay, etc) were all trading at or around the cost of a new one. I paid $36k for mine a few days ago (brand new 2016 with all options), and while I was walking around the lot there were multiple 2011-2014 used ones for sale in the 34-38k range. So if I want to move back to a Porsche or Aston in a year, I won't be underwater. Try that with a new Bimmer and see what happens....heh.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #40
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Save up another 20 grand and buy my 650 HP Pantera. It's set up for track use and daily driving as well. The perfect car!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #41
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BTW I came from a tastefully modified 2006 6mt TSX ( i have owned 2 once the first hit 115K i sold it and bought my last one in '13, with 36k on it)
Let me tell you it may not be an M5 but I took it to multiple track days. And it was a wonderful car. I love Honda- had a ton of civics- swapped motors and stuff. The TSX would have been a very solid family car with just enough pleasure to drive all the time, and super comfortable. They are reasonable and definitely should be a consideration if you go the 2 car route.

If you do it i can give you some pointers, like the hondata ECU flash completely enhanced the car. I regret having sold mine but alas they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive.
They're great cars, and I somewhat believe in the "slow car driven fast" ideology. I dunno if I can go back to FWD though. I'll definitely consider it as a slightly less exciting but definitely lower-maintenance alternative to a 328i or 330i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
1m?
Love them, but really need 4 doors and I like the M3 slightly better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
Just get an STi.
This had crossed my mind. Not a bad idea, but I'm a purist and don't love turbo + AWD as much as N/A V8 + RWD (especially living in CA where there's hardly any rain, let alone snow). I really wish Evos were cheaper and not as beat down on the used market.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #42
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
E90 M3.

drive it every day. don't need much else really....keep life simple; one car for everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #43
nmehta211
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

E90 m3. And go for the 08. Can save more than 10k to put towards future maintenance or hell the future track car. Depreciation will be less if you sell again and it won't drive any different.

I'm 37, married with a 1 week old baby. I'm loving every moment of the m3 sedan during my commute and am glad that I can still use it with the kid.

I too am saving for a 997.2 and am 15k ahead than if I had bought an 09 several years ago.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 05:00 AM   #44
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

A do everything car will also come with sacrifices. Even without a track accident, if you break something (BMW's aren't exactly reliable), what are you going to drive?

I still like the CTS-V solution. You can score one in the upper 20k range, let's call it 30k. Keep daily driving your S2K until it is paid off, then just buy the CTS-V.
Appreciate 0