BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How would you spend $40k in this specific situation?
$40k very nice E90 M3 30 42.86%
$30k '08 higher mileage E90 M3 + $10k higher mileage S2000 7 10.00%
$10k reliable/safe/boring DD + $30k badass track/fun car (Elise, C6, etc.) and 21 30.00%
Other 12 17.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

10-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #45
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

keep the s2k and get an 09 E90M3 when you can afford to own both. Kind of an updated s2k/m5 combo.

When you're ready, sell what you have to and get a 997S. That becomes your new "s2k" and then you can add another car after that.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #46
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post
E90 m3. And go for the 08. Can save more than 10k to put towards future maintenance or hell the future track car. Depreciation will be less if you sell again and it won't drive any different.

I'm 37, married with a 1 week old baby. I'm loving every moment of the m3 sedan during my commute and am glad that I can still use it with the kid.

I too am saving for a 997.2 and am 15k ahead than if I had bought an 09 several years ago.
Congrats on the new addition to the family!

I saw an '08 AW/FR 6MT sedan pop up on Carmax with only 14k for $36k. I figure that + Carmax warranty would be the ticket, but it sold within 2 hours.

I guess by going '08, the chances are still low that I'll ever have a rod bearing failure, and the $10k saved will get me halfway there if it did happen w/o warranty. I would definitely keep an eye on regular Blackstone reports, however are those really predictive? Seems like failures have happened despite good oil analysis, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
A do everything car will also come with sacrifices. Even without a track accident, if you break something (BMW's aren't exactly reliable), what are you going to drive?

I still like the CTS-V solution. You can score one in the upper 20k range, let's call it 30k. Keep daily driving your S2K until it is paid off, then just buy the CTS-V.
Eh, rental cars are pretty cheap. But yeah, 2 cars does alleviate a lot of worries.

I only owe like $7k on the S2k now (and it's probably worth $1-2k more than I paid, so call it $5-6k to pay it off)... the payment is only $226/mo. And I have $24k in the bank from my M5 sale. However, I haven't seen any 2nd gen CTS-Vs in that price range - at least none that I would want. Ex: there are only 3 manual CTS-Vs within 500 miles of me on Autotrader, and the only one in that remote range is one with 72k on it for $36.5k.

I do see what seems like a ton of 2015 M3s hitting the market - I'm hoping those push E90 prices down in the next year. A lot of people want to snap up the N/A V8 version, but a lot are also upgrading to the new model.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #47
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

I'm 37, married with a 1 week old baby. I'm loving every moment of the m3 sedan during my commute and am glad that I can still use it with the kid.
congrats, man!!! we have a 3 month old. I drive him around in the 1M. it's perfect!

It gets better after a month it gets waaaaay better after 3 months! But every single second is amazing so enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #48
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
keep the s2k and get an 09 E90M3 when you can afford to own both. Kind of an updated s2k/m5 combo.

When you're ready, sell what you have to and get a 997S. That becomes your new "s2k" and then you can add another car after that.
Yeah, I test drove an M3 in maybe 2010-11 and knew that it would someday replace my E39.

I like your thinking, although I would probably either DD a 997S or get something lighter as the fun/track car. IMO although they drive fairly differently, the 997S and M3 are too alike to keep both - similar performance, both heavier and more luxurious than I'd like for the track (not to say the 997 isn't a great track car, I just like light, small, simple cars), and both with expensive consumables and potentially catastrophic engine flaws (on the 997.1). I'd rather go Elise/Exige + E90 M3 I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #49
MChat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 (en route)

Garage List
I've done the two car thing (currently daily drive what was supposed to be my wife's car: a 2013 Dodge Journey, and have a 400+ whp Neon SRT-4 for fun) and I've done the one car thing (same 400+ whp Neon SRT-4 when it was newer, had less mods and was more reliable).

Being that you won't have a garage to work on your car(s), I would definitely go the single car route. Also once you have a child or two, you're not going to have much time to work on them even if you did have a garage. Four times a year isn't a lot of track time, and once the kids come, as you indicated it'll drop even more (possibly to none as more family oriented activities will take precedence). I know the worry that racing your daily driver brings (been there), just don't push it as hard as you might if it were a dedicated track car -- you'll still have fun and that's what is important.

I used to take my car to the drag strip 4-6 times a month; as the car became more modified and the risk of having a major break down increased, a back-up daily driver was purchased (a Jeep Wrangler at the time). Now a few years down the road, I've gotten married (again) and the wife and I have a 4 year old and a 2 month old, the Jeep has been modified to the point of getting trailered to the 4-wheeling trails, a truck has been purchased to tow the Jeep (this was supposed to be "my" truck, but my wife likes to drive it more than the Journey), and I drive the Journey to my clients' offices and the SRT-4 sits in the garage, not having been driven, much less to the track in almost a year. (ok, it gets a short drive once a month, but I've put less than 1000 miles on it this year for sure, probably less than 500).

Do I miss driving at the track? A little (remember I used to go 1-2 times per WEEK), but with the Jeep I can take my whole family out (in another 2-4 months for the baby) 4-wheeling. In fact, we just bought a used motorhome so that we can go camping every other month or so, towing the Jeep along behind on the trailer. Meanwhile, since the Journey was my wife's car and since my business is growing we decided to get rid of both the SRT-4 and the Journey in favor of something that is nearly as quick as the SRT-4 is (and will be quicker with some minor modifications) and is something the owner of a Software Development business should drive: the 2016 M3 which on its way.

But that's my experience: your mileage may vary...

2016 BMW M3 (stock)
2005 Jeep LJ (slightly modified)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #50
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:

congrats, man!!! we have a 3 month old. I drive him around in the 1M. it's perfect!

It gets better after a month it gets waaaaay better after 3 months! But every single second is amazing so enjoy it!
Thank you-looking forward to it!!

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #51
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Am I the only one who dares suggest that you set your car passion aside for a bit and focus on getting your family life underway? For example taking the M5 money and putting towards a down payment on a house. With a garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #52
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChat View Post
I've done the two car thing (currently daily drive what was supposed to be my wife's car: a 2013 Dodge Journey, and have a 400+ whp Neon SRT-4 for fun) and I've done the one car thing (same 400+ whp Neon SRT-4 when it was newer, had less mods and was more reliable).

Being that you won't have a garage to work on your car(s), I would definitely go the single car route. Also once you have a child or two, you're not going to have much time to work on them even if you did have a garage. Four times a year isn't a lot of track time, and once the kids come, as you indicated it'll drop even more (possibly to none as more family oriented activities will take precedence). I know the worry that racing your daily driver brings (been there), just don't push it as hard as you might if it were a dedicated track car -- you'll still have fun and that's what is important.

I used to take my car to the drag strip 4-6 times a month; as the car became more modified and the risk of having a major break down increased, a back-up daily driver was purchased (a Jeep Wrangler at the time). Now a few years down the road, I've gotten married (again) and the wife and I have a 4 year old and a 2 month old, the Jeep has been modified to the point of getting trailered to the 4-wheeling trails, a truck has been purchased to tow the Jeep (this was supposed to be "my" truck, but my wife likes to drive it more than the Journey), and I drive the Journey to my clients' offices and the SRT-4 sits in the garage, not having been driven, much less to the track in almost a year. (ok, it gets a short drive once a month, but I've put less than 1000 miles on it this year for sure, probably less than 500).

Do I miss driving at the track? A little (remember I used to go 1-2 times per WEEK), but with the Jeep I can take my whole family out (in another 2-4 months for the baby) 4-wheeling. In fact, we just bought a used motorhome so that we can go camping every other month or so, towing the Jeep along behind on the trailer. Meanwhile, since the Journey was my wife's car and since my business is growing we decided to get rid of both the SRT-4 and the Journey in favor of something that is nearly as quick as the SRT-4 is (and will be quicker with some minor modifications) and is something the owner of a Software Development business should drive: the 2016 M3 which on its way.

But that's my experience: your mileage may vary...
Thanks for your thoughts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Am I the only one who dares suggest that you set your car passion aside for a bit and focus on getting your family life underway? For example taking the M5 money and putting towards a down payment on a house. With a garage.
Not at all - that is a fair point. However, my wife and I have actually saved enough for a down payment on a house in this insanely overpriced area (not including my "car fund"), it's just that prices are so high now in the Bay Area that we think it's kind of crazy to buy now. We can afford it, and are normally pro-owning and anti-renting, but that's not the problem. The last thing we want is to have to move in a few years and not even get our down payment back. It's been 20%/year increases for the past 3 years and 20-30 bids per house (most all-cash), which sounds like a bubble to us. Also, we are still fairly early in our careers (we graduated with our MBAs 2 years ago) and don't want to be tied down career-wise. If housing doesn't improve we may actually move to Seattle (where I'm from) in a few years, where housing is far less expensive despite rising a lot recently.

So in the meantime, I feel I'm being pretty responsible - in fact, I'm hoping to accomplish these car purchases while contributing no extra $ and actually getting rid of the small payment I currently have on the S2k. And a big reason I'm not getting something for a year or so is to save money driving the S2k (cheap consumables, reliable, and very low maintenance) while other stuff depreciates further (S2k is appreciating if anything).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #53
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

I vote buy a a nice E90 M3 - oh wait I have one I am looking to sell!
      10-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #54
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Thanks for your thoughts!

Not at all - that is a fair point. However, my wife and I have actually saved enough for a down payment on a house in this insanely overpriced area (not including my "car fund"), it's just that prices are so high now in the Bay Area that we think it's kind of crazy to buy now. We can afford it, and are normally pro-owning and anti-renting, but that's not the problem. The last thing we want is to have to move in a few years and not even get our down payment back. It's been 20%/year increases for the past 3 years and 20-30 bids per house (most all-cash), which sounds like a bubble to us. Also, we are still fairly early in our careers (we graduated with our MBAs 2 years ago) and don't want to be tied down career-wise. If housing doesn't improve we may actually move to Seattle (where I'm from) in a few years, where housing is far less expensive despite rising a lot recently.

So in the meantime, I feel I'm being pretty responsible - in fact, I'm hoping to accomplish these car purchases while contributing no extra $ and actually getting rid of the small payment I currently have on the S2k. And a big reason I'm not getting something for a year or so is to save money driving the S2k (cheap consumables, reliable, and very low maintenance) while other stuff depreciates further (S2k is appreciating if anything).
Time to pick up a Google Van.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/google...-fr-1737619550
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #55
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Why would you get a2011 E90 when the 2009 had no changes out side of the comb box which you can buy for 300 plus wiring and change for bmw apps? 09 e90s Came LCI and based on the numbers seen more owners of 2011 plus car are doing those stupid 14k mile oil changes and the next buyer gets a car that with in a few months has rod bearing issues? Just my .02 if You have the extra cash get a E90 335I fun turbo DD and keep the sk2 for the track car.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #56
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
It's no joke! The rent and housing prices here are depressing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
Why would you get a2011 E90 when the 2009 had no changes out side of the comb box which you can buy for 300 plus wiring and change for bmw apps? 09 e90s Came LCI and based on the numbers seen more owners of 2011 plus car are doing those stupid 14k mile oil changes and the next buyer gets a car that with in a few months has rod bearing issues? Just my .02 if You have the extra cash get a E90 335I fun turbo DD and keep the sk2 for the track car.
'09 does seem like the sweet spot, but if you look at production #s, '09 and '10 sedans are quite rare. They're mostly either '08 or '11. Plus, as I mentioned before, some things wear out due to age. There were a number of things on my old M5 that were just tired from age more than mileage (weatherstripping cracking, crumbling plastic trim in the engine bay, probably bushings and such, etc.). But yeah, the rare '09 can be a great deal. The only other thing you miss is ZCP availability. I do want ZCP but it's not a deal-breaker without.

Regardless of year, I will probably do a warranty. I know the odds are it won't happen, but it's definitely not uncommon on this board and if I'm going to keep it and rely on it as a DD for years, I'd prefer to not worry. Mileage and oil analysis don't seem to be good predictors. Besides, even if it doesn't blow, the warranty could still pay for itself with other problems.

I've thought about a 335i but I just know it's not the same, and that would bother me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #57
JP Medina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235 Auto AW/Red H/K

I would go with OTHER,

Why donīt you give it a chance and test drive a 228?
Certainly itīs not an M, but you can get a good cash Price on a Brand new bmw coupe, with enough power to have fun and track sometimes maybe.
It also comes with 4 years warranty/service and a great gas milleage (these last two are something to consider in the expenses).
I have 18 mo & 1 mo kids and they both fit on the back seat with their child seats. The in/out routine is not comfy but itīs worth it.
My wife has a Mazda CX5 for their daily responsabilities and travelling, and I also own a F150 for work as I am a builder. But I am sure you and your wife will enjoy it while the family grows.

Last edited by JP Medina; 10-23-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #58
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon

coming from an S2000 , I would suggest an m235i 6 speed. Delivers RWD fun, good power, a little more raw than a 3series, and has a backseat for the baby.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #59
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm really looking for a 4-door for kiddos, at least for now. If I was open to a 4-seat coupe I'd be 997S without looking back...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #60
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Little update: I rented an Elise and took it on the highway and one of my favorite twisty roads. Car was awesome and the steering feel especially was so much better than anything I've driven (another level from even the 993 C2 I drove), but while it was fun, I no longer see myself spending 3/4 of my total car budget on one. It is more of a toy than a real car! If I had $100k total to spend then maybe.

Right afterward, I drove my old E39 M5 on the same road (sold it to a friend, who was tagging along that day). I thought after an Elise it would fall flat on its face, but it was actually still rather fun in its own way. I guess the whole experience of the day made me lean further toward getting an E90 M3 as my only car. Although the friend I sold my M5 to said he likes the M5 more than the E92 M3 he had! >_<
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #61
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Right afterward, I drove my old E39 M5 on the same road (sold it to a friend, who was tagging along that day). I thought after an Elise it would fall flat on its face, but it was actually still rather fun in its own way. I guess the whole experience of the day made me lean further toward getting an E90 M3 as my only car. Although the friend I sold my M5 to said he likes the M5 more than the E92 M3 he had! >_<
Have you spent time driving an e9x M3? The engines in the two cars (m3 and m5) are quite different with a different character. Why not just get another M5 as it seems like you haven't quite gotten over your old one?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #62
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Have you spent time driving an e9x M3? The engines in the two cars (m3 and m5) are quite different with a different character. Why not just get another M5 as it seems like you haven't quite gotten over your old one?
Yes, I've driven a couple. They are indeed different... when I had both the M5 and S2000 the M3 struck me as a great balance of the two - surge to a sky-high redline and with decent torque.

After 6.5yrs I thought it would be time for a change. Does a wine connoisseur doesn't buy the same bottle of wine over and over again for his entire life, now does he? Not saying I'll never own an E39 M5 again, but it's time for a change. And if this will by my only car, I'd prefer the somewhat lighter weight and increased agility that the M3 offers.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #63
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

E90 M3 and save a little to get rod bearing service done. Then enjoy. Fantastic, fun, versatile car.
Appreciate 0