BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

IS-F LF-A Smaller turbo charged engines planned. Supra Successor coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR
Lexus will launch an LFA Tokyo Motor Show Edition at this autumn's 2011 Japanese show, CAR has discovered - and we can expect a brace of additional new Toyota/Lexus performance cars in the coming years, including a likely Supra replacement.

The Lexus LFA Tokyo edition will bring an M3-esque exposed carbon roof and (still hydraulically adjustable) carbon rear spoiler. Presumably this just means the weave is exposed, as the LFA is already made from carbonfibre.

CAR understands the LFA Tokyo will cost about €40k more than a 'regular' Lexus LFA.

What else is planned for the Lexus LFA?

A spider roadster was planned and its carbonfibre construction meant the open-top LFA was nearly as rigid as the coupe. But our sources in Japan have confirmed the roadster LFA has been canned owing to the economic uncertainty in markets around the world.

And what's this about new performance cars from Toyota/Lexus?

Toyota is working on two other performance cars separate from the FT-86 and LFA projects.

Information is sketchy at this point, but CAR understands one is a front-wheel drive car (possibly a go-faster CT200h) and one is a potential successor to the Supra.

Officially, a Supra replacement is denied. But we hear a skunkworks, unofficial project is underway to replace the RWD coupe and some insiders predict a 2014 launch.

It also sounds like future fast Toyota/Lexus models will switch from high-revving naturally aspirated engines - as in the LFA, ISF and FT-86 - to smaller, turbocharged engines. Interesting times at Toyota, as it attempts to play catch-up after a decade away from the performance heartland.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...upra-underway/
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

That's true they are playing catch up. However, apart from the design, the IS-F is actually not that bad a performer. I think the updated model has better suspension and a LSD too.

I think if they want to expand their market they need to get some new designers in. They should also have a manual gearbox. It'll be an interested move to FI engines because they have a long history of big V8s.
      09-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
That's true they are playing catch up. However, apart from the design, the IS-F is actually not that bad a performer. I think the updated model has better suspension and a LSD too.

I think if they want to expand their market they need to get some new designers in. They should also have a manual gearbox. It'll be an interested move to FI engines because they have a long history of big V8s.
I like the LFA a lot too it was just the $$$ that kills me... Why so much??

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I just want to see that FT-86 first, preferably in a turbo variant.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I just want to see that FT-86 first, preferably in a turbo variant.
Or a Supra!

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Bring back the GT-R's competitor, the Supra.

What the hell? Stop dicking around.

Also, get rid of the LFA. Too expensive. Ugly. Bad marketing/business move IMO.

If Lexus wants to spark some life into their brand, bring back the SC redesigned and more edgy. A la 'Mercedes Benz SL' or 'BMW 6 Series'. (Wide, low profile, sporty, executive flair).

I understand they did away with the model because it didn't sell well but hell, if it looks the part, people will pay. Price it competitively with a sporty, yet mature design, and they will find themselves right back in the game.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

True. Good points. LF-A is a good attempt at a first supercar but they should focus on core models first. Like getting the IS-F right and maybe a nice SC replacement (old one was horrible lol) OH YEAH and Supra!
      09-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post

If Lexus wants to spark some life into their brand, bring back the SC redesigned and more edgy. A la 'Mercedes Benz SL' or 'BMW 6 Series'. (Wide, low profile, sporty, executive flair).

I understand they did away with the model because it didn't sell well but hell, if it looks the part, people will pay. Price it competitively with a sporty, yet mature design, and they will find themselves right back in the game.
Get rid of the LFA? Arguably one of the best sports cars in the world at the moment that holds records at the Nurgburgring for production vehicles? It was created to showcase Lexus / Toyota's ability and it did so very well. I think you need to reevaluate that comment. And when you say business move, I don't seem to recall them having a problem selling them even with that high of a price.

What they are doing is fine... They need to update the Is-F when they get a chance so that it will be a good competitor for the new M3 but they have a few years to do that.

Number one priority right now should be the recreation of the Supra. Something that can compete with the GTR - but then again that is not realistic, no car the price of a Supra could ever compete with the GTR. If they recreate the Supra it will be a 50-60K or so car that can probably compete with the likes of M3's, Audi S4's and maybe C63's. There current model lineup will not allow a Supra to be better than the LFA and that's what it needs to be, to be better than a GTR.
      09-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Get rid of the LFA? Arguably one of the best sports cars in the world at the moment that holds records at the Nurgburgring for production vehicles? It was created to showcase Lexus / Toyota's ability and it did so very well. I think you need to reevaluate that comment. And when you say business move, I don't seem to recall them having a problem selling them even with that high of a price.

What they are doing is fine... They need to update the Is-F when they get a chance so that it will be a good competitor for the new M3 but they have a few years to do that.

Number one priority right now should be the recreation of the Supra. Something that can compete with the GTR - but then again that is not realistic, no car the price of a Supra could ever compete with the GTR. If they recreate the Supra it will be a 50-60K or so car that can probably compete with the likes of M3's, Audi S4's and maybe C63's. There current model lineup will not allow a Supra to be better than the LFA and that's what it needs to be, to be better than a GTR.
I understand the purpose of it was to showcase Toyota's racing heritage meshed with top-of-the line luxury from the Lexus division. The car isn't a complete waste, and I understand they sell well, mainly because of the market that its targeting and as well as performance capabilities. People buying $400+ cars tend to buy them as novelties in addition to their many other vehicles. I get that, from a business perspective.

I'm just not a fan of it overall. The performance is mind blowing (supercar status), a true testament of Toyota's pedigree on the track. The design seems a bit off. Doesn't look like a $400k car, more like $200k+. Ah well, different opinions.

I just wish the Supra would come back. It doesn't need to be faster than the GTR, just close enough. They could do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post

Toyota's also have a long history of Forced induction cars.

Mr2 Turbo, Turbo Supras, Celica GT-Four, Aristos(GS300).
TRD superchargers for Tacoma, Celicas, Tundras, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
I understand the purpose of it was to showcase Toyota's racing heritage meshed with top-of-the line luxury from the Lexus division. The car isn't a complete waste, and I understand they sell well, mainly because of the market that its targeting and as well as performance capabilities. People buying $400+ cars tend to buy them as novelties in addition to their many other vehicles. I get that, from a business perspective.

I'm just not a fan of it overall. The performance is mind blowing (supercar status), a true testament of Toyota's pedigree on the track. The design seems a bit off. Doesn't look like a $400k car, more like $200k+. Ah well, different opinions.

I just wish the Supra would come back. It doesn't need to be faster than the GTR, just close enough. They could do it.
Toyota would create itself a lineup problem right there... a $60K car that is performance wise close to the LFA (a $400K) halo car? Then what would happen to the ISF as a performance car?
      09-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Thoughts on these renderings

09-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Do want.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Toyota would create itself a lineup problem right there... a $60K car that is performance wise close to the LFA (a $400K) halo car? Then what would happen to the ISF as a performance car?
The ISF would be fine.

Make the Supra more expensive than the ISF. The Supra of 1996 retailed at 60k anyways, so the new one should be around 85-90k. It doesn't make sense at first but no one would've guessed a brand like NISSAN would release a 90k car and have it actually do well but it did. I feel Toyota can do the same. Make the Supra faster than the ISF with all the technical intricacies that the GT-R is known for.

And furthermore, that's why I say do away with the LFA and bring in more consumers in a more affordable market.

The LFA isn't completely bad, I just think it's overstepping too many boundaries. Then again, this is just my thoughts and I'm sure the risk management professionals at Toyota have done all the math and considered the Supra a bad idea. Ah well.

Just sucks that the GT-R competitor is nearly half a million dollars.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

IIRC, the LF-A is already, and has been for a while, sold out. Demand for the car is there and they are having no issue selling them at their assigned price. They even bumped up the US allocation by 21 units (to 171) due to high demand. They are limited in their current form to 500 units.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
IIRC, the LF-A is already, and has been for a while, sold out. Demand for the car is there and they are having no issue selling them at their assigned price. They even bumped up the US allocation by 21 units (to 171) due to high demand. They are limited in their current form to 500 units.
I'm aware.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Quote:
I'm aware.
Lol...but it's not. They have not been able to move it in the quantities that they expected. It is not sold out, nor have even half of the 500 actually been produced. It hasn't been a great time for selling exotics if you haven't noticed, never mind a brand new entry. That isn't to say they're not still coming, but it's a bit of a stretch to think that they're going to move a flurry of them in the near future. I have an aquaintenance/friend at the local dealership who stated the Ring LFA that is coming here is still 18 months to 2 years away for delivery.

Of those that are actually in market, it appears that a strong percentage are actually dealer owned cars that customers never ordered.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:39 AM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Isn't the LF-A only available trough a non-transferrable 2 year lease with a balloon payment to keep out speculators and dealer markups?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #19
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep

Keep the LFA in production for only two more years, then get rid of it.

Bring back the Supra, as well a completely refreshed Lexus SC.

All will be well. No special lease programs and $400k+ price tags.

We can also keep the ISF.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Isn't the LF-A only available trough a non-transferrable 2 year lease with a balloon payment to keep out speculators and dealer markups?
Nope. That plan didn't work either.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

If they crammed a ~300-350hp Turbo inline-6 into one of these, and sold it for ~$40-50k, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #22
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
+1 that's what I thought..
Appreciate 0