BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #1
cschauerj
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

A reliable BMW?

My daily is a 2003 Tacoma with 267k miles. This vehicle has been rock solid. knock on would it has never required any costly repairs. The worst was a clutch at 240k but that's a wear item obviously.

I wanted a second vehicle, something fun to drive, so I bought a Macan Turbo. It was a super impressive vehicle but the transfer case went out with only 20k miles. As far as I know the replacement provided was the same poorly designed unit. A faulty wheel sensor required a tow another time. Additionally these cars were known to develop timing chain cover leaks due to Porsche using aluminum fasteners that were prone to breaking. I sold the car not long after the warranty expired figuring that was the wise move. I wanted a manual transmission anyway.

So I dove into researching 996 and 997 911s. Who hasn't wanted a 911 when they were a kid?! Unfortunately they are plagued with IMS bearing issues, bore scoring, water pumps with plastic vanes, designed to fail, etc. Shame on Porsche for cutting corners to save a little money on what is an expensive vehicle. I'm priced out of the newer "reliable" 911s.

A BMW rental car on a vacation last year got me thinking. I did have a few complaints (the stupid blinker design for example) but I thoroughly enjoyed driving it! BMW makes great looking(excluding the new grills) and great driving machines and a lower price point. So finding that perfect used BMW has become my focus. I want a 2wd coupe with a 6speed.

However, every corner I turn, every model series has a ticking time bomb the same as the Porsches. The E92s M3s have crank bearing and throttle actuator issues. So I moved on to the newer F32 / F33 cars to find they commonly have timing chain tensionor failures. Is the B58 in the 4 series the way to go? Have all issues been put to rest with this engine? I'm not opposed to turbo 4cylinders or NA straight sixes either, even in older generations, ie. 3 series coupes.

I understand that BMW likes to innovate and logically you're gonna get burned sometimes when doing so but there's gotta be a bimmer out there meeting my criteria that will "turn over the odometer" a couple times without catastrophic failure.

I don't wanna have to compromise and buy a homely, automatic-shifting Lexus just to have a reliable vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

What's your budget?
      Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #3
cschauerj
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

50k or so but honestly I'd much prefer something closer to 30k.
Appreciate 0