BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-29-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d, G05 40d

Advice needed: Potential delivery damage

Hi all, I’m desperate for some advice on what my options are for the following, sorry for the essay but the detail is important:

UK based, collected my brand new G05 in March 2022, 15 miles on the clock, no previous owner (this bit is important).

Booked my car into my local dealer (not the dealer I purchased from) for some, what I presumed to be, warranty work that I had noticed very early on while cleaning the car (but held off while I compiled a larger list as per BMW advice), mainly a slight crack in the rear roof spoiler, ‘d’ badge was wonky compared to the ‘40’ that preceded it (I have a 40d) and black coating missing from roof rail. Dealer said that it wouldn’t be covered under warranty as it seemed clear to them that the car had been in some form of collision as they also said the rear boot (trunk) both upper and lower were out of alignment and these kinds of things, along with my list, would never leave the factory like that.

I have owned the car since new and have photos of at least the wonky d badge from day 1 so I am now extremely concerned that the car has been damaged and fixed to an extent prior to me originally collecting it. There was also damage to the front bumper lower grill that I noticed after about 2 days of ownership so now I’m putting 2 and 2 together and getting these red flags that something has happened during transport that has needed addressing.

I’m getting the dealer to write up a report for me so I can take it to the original dealer to start an investigation but what are the chances of me getting anywhere with this? I’m absolutely gutted by this as it’s not something I would expect from a brand new car, especially from BMW.

I am catagorically certain that none of this is self inflicted since these have been issues I have been sat on since about 2 days in but just didn’t want the hassle of taking it in a bunch of times every time I see something else that needs addressing.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 01:54 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Unfortunately I would say expect nothing. If they do anything at all you are way ahead given it is over a year since picking it up. Good luck and keep us updated on any progress, I hope you can come back and say I was wrong.
      04-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
BillyShakes
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d, G05 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Unfortunately I would say expect nothing. If they do anything at all you are way ahead given it is over a year since picking it up. Good luck and keep us updated on any progress, I hope you can come back and say I was wrong.
Hey TurtleBoy,

Thank you for the response, and I fear you are correct. I feel like this has really tainted my experience with BMW, certainly not what i was expecting to hear when I got the call from the dealership that’s for sure.

I’d love it if I could come back and say you’re wrong haha I’ll keep the thread updated with progress and a detailed response should I be successful so that anyone who has a similar experience can glean some info from it

Thanks again mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:40 PM   #4
nikhildj
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Garage List
2022 G05 40d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShakes View Post
Hi all, I’m desperate for some advice on what my options are for the following, sorry for the essay but the detail is important:

UK based, collected my brand new G05 in March 2022, 15 miles on the clock, no previous owner (this bit is important).

Booked my car into my local dealer (not the dealer I purchased from) for some, what I presumed to be, warranty work that I had noticed very early on while cleaning the car (but held off while I compiled a larger list as per BMW advice), mainly a slight crack in the rear roof spoiler, ‘d’ badge was wonky compared to the ‘40’ that preceded it (I have a 40d) and black coating missing from roof rail. Dealer said that it wouldn’t be covered under warranty as it seemed clear to them that the car had been in some form of collision as they also said the rear boot (trunk) both upper and lower were out of alignment and these kinds of things, along with my list, would never leave the factory like that.

I have owned the car since new and have photos of at least the wonky d badge from day 1 so I am now extremely concerned that the car has been damaged and fixed to an extent prior to me originally collecting it. There was also damage to the front bumper lower grill that I noticed after about 2 days of ownership so now I’m putting 2 and 2 together and getting these red flags that something has happened during transport that has needed addressing.

I’m getting the dealer to write up a report for me so I can take it to the original dealer to start an investigation but what are the chances of me getting anywhere with this? I’m absolutely [...]
The dealer you purchased the car from should take full ownership of warranty claims. Unfortunately, I’ve had ton of bad luck with our 4 months old 40d, most claims were denied by closest BMW dealer but the dealership sorted out everything.

Worst case, if they also don’t respond promptly you can explore UK consumer act legal protection to seek a full refund or replacement car. This is not an easy thing to do but it certainly works if you have full basis documented along with dealership records/interactions.

All the best!
Appreciate 0