BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2023, 07:16 PM   #1
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey guys, I’m curious if there is much of a difference in rear seating space/comfort between the current X5 and X3. I have a second child on the way so I’m trying to figure out if moving to the bigger SUV would be worth it as I will need to have two car seats in the back. From the product measurements, it looks like the rear seats are a bit wider and there is more vertical space?

Additionally, are there any specific features that the X5 has (safety, convenience etc) that would make the switch particularly worthwhile? I am interested in both the non-LCI & LCI models.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have experience with both vehicles.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by junx View Post
Hey guys, I’m curious if there is much of a difference in rear seating space/comfort between the current X5 and X3. I have a second child on the way so I’m trying to figure out if moving to the bigger SUV would be worth it as I will need to have two car seats in the back. From the product measurements, it looks like the rear seats are a bit wider and there is more vertical space?

Additionally, are there any specific features that the X5 has (safety, convenience etc) that would make the switch particularly worthwhile? I am interested in both the non-LCI & LCI models.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have experience with both vehicles.

Thanks!
Basically, more shoulder room (wider), more head room, as you already mentioned. Cargo room is also bigger. But 2nd row leg room is about the same.

X5 is more comfortable and quieter, but doesn't handle as good due to higher and heavier. Worth a while is really your call. My suggestion is don't limit yourself to X5, try other luxury mid size SUV and see which one fit your need the best.
      05-22-2023, 07:54 PM   #3
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Eelnoraa has great points - don’t limit yourself.

But - I love the size of my X5 with my 5 year old. A second car seat would easily fit (god forbid I needed one!). Love the space. Love the drive and handling.

But - cast a net far and wide. What about the Genesis?
Appreciate 3
FCX52400.00
volodp199.50
dwwStL163.00
      05-22-2023, 08:16 PM   #4
MG21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevy Tahoe

I’m in a similar situation.

Have 2 kids but a little older. We have a ford explorer now which was great. Had 3 rows and space for strollers. We’re done with strollers which is a game changer. The ford sucks on mpg and we have a Tahoe for trips and 3rd row when needed.

We’re looking for something safe, good mpg, fun to drive, comfort and still has the space.

I really like the styling and comfort of the x5 and x3. X3 was just a bit too small for our daily needs. I looked at the new cherokees but don’t want to spend that much on a jeep. Wife loved the x5 so now we’re looking to find the right deal.d recommend putting alllllll the crap u need with kids n the 3 and then make a decision.

We had a q5 and no way that would work for us st the time. Great car but just didn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:48 PM   #5
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

rear seat room for kids is fine, but heaven help the adult who needs to sit in the rear seat of an X5. Leg room is virtually non-existent. (I should note that we are a tall family so the front seats are well back. But still . . .)
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 02:12 AM   #6
SocietyDisillusioned
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

The GLE is a great choice if you’re tall, more leg room than the X5 plus more cargo room. The GLE 580 is fun and comfortable great mpg for the size and power.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:53 AM   #7
medialook
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d G05

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40d  [10.00]
Definitelky. Much better / comfortable car al around. Much more base specs.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 05:48 AM   #8
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
I have three kids in the back of my X3 right now… all in car seats (forward, rear, forward). I’m 6’5” and there’s plenty of room for everybody. I looked at the X5 when we originally purchased but still prioritized handling over the extra space the X5 provides.

In the same line of thought, anyone spend time in both cars? I’m curious about just how much of a difference in handling there is. I’m thinking of stepping up to the X5.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:00 AM   #9
G05_galore
Private
Rep
Drives: Upcoming: 2024 BMW X5 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
I have three kids in the back of my X3 right now… all in car seats (forward, rear, forward). I’m 6’5” and there’s plenty of room for everybody. I looked at the X5 when we originally purchased but still prioritized handling over the extra space the X5 provides.

In the same line of thought, anyone spend time in both cars? I’m curious about just how much of a difference in handling there is. I’m thinking of stepping up to the X5.
Test drive an X5. Just letting you know, the x5 still handles GREAT.
Appreciate 1
dwwStL163.00
      05-23-2023, 08:21 AM   #10
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post

Let’s keep in mind one’s opinion on space is actually quite subjective. IMO there is no way on this planet that if was 6’5” and have 3 kids in the back of an x3 would I ever say there is plenty of space for everyone. I’m 5’7” and had 2 seats back there and felt nothing but claustrophobia. I have an x5 and it’s better but it’s still not spacious like my atlas or anything on a bigger platform.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      05-23-2023, 08:36 AM   #11
tantan911
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 40i

I built my X5 with 3rd row just for a good resell value. I have 2 kids and then my wife got pregnant after 6 months of purchasing, So happy that included the 3rd row. That's an option you should consider (X5 with 3rd row for small kids). Otherwise, you will have to go with one of the big 3 and will pay more and mpg so much higher.
      05-23-2023, 08:38 AM   #12
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

As someone who only uses the rear seating and legroom for groceries, I can say there is 4-6 inches less overall interior length than my last 3 Grand Cherokees (standard WK2's).

That's based on where I keep the front seats (esp the driver seat) and how much floor space there is behind the front seats.

If I had regular rear seat passengers, this would be one more thing to find disappointing.
      05-23-2023, 09:01 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by junx View Post

Thanks!
I went from a 2011 (F25) X3 to the 2021 (G05) X5. Before doing so, I compared the differences between the X3 (F25) and the X3 (G01) and basically found little in terms of more internal space either for people or cargo, I didn't say none I wanted to stay with BMW so I went with the X5 (G05). It does have more space inside than the X3 but not a lot.

Cargo space: For me, this meant the area behind the rear seats and under the cargo privacy cover. Had I gone with the X3 I would have ordered the spare tire option which raises the cargo floor about 3". Once you take that into consideration, the X5 is not much bigger for cargo since its cargo floor is about the same height as the X3 with the spare tire option. This is due to the fact that the X5 already has a space for the spare tire whether you buy one or not. What you get is more depth and width in the cargo area but again, it's not a significant amount more but it does help. It's the dang height that I find so restrictive when you pull the privacy cover closed, which we do on trips. I posted the attached pic which compares my former X3 to the X5 and it also compares the cubic feet under the cargo privacy cover of an X3 (G01) to the X5 (G05).

Interior seating space: You do get more room in the X5 but not much and its mostly in width. We find the rear seat legroom lacking and the fact that you cannot recline the rear seats only adds to the issue. The front seat door storage pockets are a bit smaller than our former X3 and the glove box, well, they certainly don't hold much and its inconvenient to open them when a passenger is in the car.
To make up for the limited cargo space when the privacy cover is closed, I bought a rear seat dog cover and used the rear seat for storage with a black blanket covering stuff. This means when you get to your destination and you want to put people in the rear seats, everything has to come out. Heaven forbid we had a flat tire!

My aunt has a VW Atlas and it puts our X5 to shame in terms of rear seat and cargo space and its somewhere around 40% less $
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-23-2023, 10:05 AM   #14
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
As someone who only uses the rear seating and legroom for groceries, I can say there is 4-6 inches less overall interior length than my last 3 Grand Cherokees (standard WK2's).

That's based on where I keep the front seats (esp the driver seat) and how much floor space there is behind the front seats.

If I had regular rear seat passengers, this would be one more thing to find disappointing.
I'm slightly over 6' tall and haven't found the rear seats to be as small as I keep hearing about. The thing is, these numbers aren't subjective--Edmunds shows the X5 being within about .5" of a WK2 in almost all interior seating dimensions.

Personally, I find the X5 to be the perfect size for a two row SUV.
      05-23-2023, 10:15 AM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

The X5's rear seat still allows for one adult to sit decently comfortable with two car seats set up. That is the main reason why I didn't even consider the X3. You have to factor in there is a range where any additional space is actually use-able or not.

Same deal when I was comparing my F80 M3's rear seat space to the F90 M5. Yes the M5 is bigger overall but that extra space wasn't enough to change anything for how i need to use the car.

Alan
      05-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #16
Crusje
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I rented an X5 on vacation last year and liked it enough to get one. Was also looked at Grand Cherokees but found that it felt bigger in the back. The X5 is like 1.5" wider than the Jeep so maybe that's why. We're not tall though so leg room is always fine for these mid size SUVs. Jeep is a little crazy with pricing though - the JGC we looked at was more expensive than the X5. Rented a GLE350 for a week a month ago on vacation. Didn't really like it. It felt slow and idrive is way superior to whatever mb has. It looks amazing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G05_galore View Post
No it doesn't. It's big and fat. I wonder what people compare it to when they say it handles great.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 11:49 AM   #17
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by G05_galore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusje View Post
No it doesn't. It's big and fat. I wonder what people compare it to when they say it handles great.
+1

My 45e weighs almost exactly the same as my Ford Raptor Supercrew, and you feel it the entire time. The ride is incredibly comfortable but this thing does not like to be hustled around corners.

Thankfully I was aware of that when I bought it and wanted a cushy PHEV for long distance driving, and for that, the X5 is great.
      05-23-2023, 12:50 PM   #18
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

X5 spec'ed correctly handles great compared to other SUV's in its class/price range. Obviously one with 19" all season and air suspension will handle differently compared to one with DHP and summer tires.
      05-23-2023, 02:21 PM   #19
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I'll just say this: in my 45e, with the driver's seat pretty much all the way back, I cannot even slip my laptop case on the floor between the seat back and the bottom of the back seat. I cannot imagine an adult sitting back there and on the few occasions when I have had one in the car, I have pulled the front seat up to make room for them (which makes things uncomfortable for me).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #20
MG21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevy Tahoe

Yeah but the OP is asking about the X5 as a daily family hauler. Not 4 adults. Who has 4 full sized adults in a car for any length of time anyway?

I would think for most ppl hte X5 is a good size vehicle for that. As i stated before stolers and whatever the day is planned and kids age can dictate that.

We had a Q5 and it was too small, went up to a Jeep GC and size it was good but it had a diesel and was a POS.

Wife then wanted an Explorer for 3 rows which we didn't use that often. I also had a F150 for long hauls. Now I have a Tahoe for those combined purposes.

I think an X5 can work for a weekend trip but any longer or a dog you'd need a roof box.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 03:30 PM   #21
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
This is the (smaller) X3 as reference with the front seat set to my seat I my position, and most importantly not touching the center rear facing car seat.

Unless the usable space is somehow different, I would imagine/hope the X5 should provide more.
Attached Images

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 3
tooloud10780.00
FLYZ97.50
      05-23-2023, 03:59 PM   #22
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I'm slightly over 6' tall and haven't found the rear seats to be as small as I keep hearing about. The thing is, these numbers aren't subjective--Edmunds shows the X5 being within about .5" of a WK2 in almost all interior seating dimensions.

Personally, I find the X5 to be the perfect size for a two row SUV.
6' here as well. IDK what to say, I've kept my driver's seats in the same place for comfort of driving over the last 4 vehicles (2 WK2's, 1 X5), and the front passenger seat at the same spot more or less as the driver's seat and I have much less space between them and the front of the rear seats.

The vehicles have virtually the same outer dimensions, so the interior space of the X5 is less somewhere. Maybe the longer hood on the X5?