BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-01-2021, 11:38 PM   #23
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

The X3 is pretty and surprisingly roomy, but I find it a far inferior car. I typically keep my cars so that depreciation is not an issue. I sold my 2018 X3 after just 2 years cuz I couldn't stand it anymore.

Initially, I loved the car. However, after living with it, stuff I thought was just meh turned out to make me get really annoyed. Like the seats. They were just too hard and uncomfortable. I liked the seating position mostly, but the seats were just too uncomfortable. My kids didn't like it either. Since this was supposed to be our family and road trip car, that's a problem.

iDrive 6 also has a handful of annoyances with how you use it that are just a bit better in iDrive 7 (what's in the X5). That, plus the stupid design of the radio buttons on the steering wheel drove me nuts. Inputting navigation and just using it in general was awful. The media wasn't an easy to use format either.

Apple CarPlay, because it's wireless, was buggy and disconnected often enough to not make it enjoyable.

Just get the X5. You'll be much happier. It's not perfect either. The lack of a reclining rear seat (which the X3 has) in the 2 row models is just bizarre. But overall, it's just been much easier to live with.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:32 PM   #24
sarabear
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
The X3 is pretty and surprisingly roomy, but I find it a far inferior car. I typically keep my cars so that depreciation is not an issue. I sold my 2018 X3 after just 2 years cuz I couldn't stand it anymore.

Initially, I loved the car. However, after living with it, stuff I thought was just meh turned out to make me get really annoyed. Like the seats. They were just too hard and uncomfortable. I liked the seating position mostly, but the seats were just too uncomfortable. My kids didn't like it either. Since this was supposed to be our family and road trip car, that's a problem.

iDrive 6 also has a handful of annoyances with how you use it that are just a bit better in iDrive 7 (what's in the X5). That, plus the stupid design of the radio buttons on the steering wheel drove me nuts. Inputting navigation and just using it in general was awful. The media wasn't an easy to use format either.

Apple CarPlay, because it's wireless, was buggy and disconnected often enough to not make it enjoyable.

Just get the X5. You'll be much happier. It's not perfect either. The lack of a reclining rear seat (which the X3 has) in the 2 row models is just bizarre. But overall, it's just been much easier to live with.
Thank you, you're completely right. I'm glad I ordered the X5, it's finished being built now and awaiting delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #25
sarabear
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoorad View Post
Turtleboy, you've been super helpful. One last question. I appreciate that you like to buy new, and honestly I am the same way and have always purchased new and gotten very competitive financing (no more than 1.9%) but the near new (<1500 miles) of this particular vehicle is compelling. That being said I will try and shop around for a less equipped new.

My question for you has to deal with extended warranties. I have typically bought historically more reliable Japanese cars. My brother has had Mercedes and paid out the nose in repair costs. The CPO I could buy costs 1550 and would give me one more year of warranty and unlimited miles (up to 5 years), so maybe more peace of mind than value. Since you buy new do you ever buy an extended warranty given BMW's historically high maintenance costs?

thanks!
Wahoorad, I see you're in Virginia too. Sending you a PM. I would recommend you try my dealership/salesperson.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #26
TheDubC
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 540, 2016 x5 59

When getting ready to trade in my 2016 X5 50i, I looked at a new 40i or 2019 50i with 19k miles that was a factory car. Price with rebate for new was $70k versus $66k for used (original MSRP of $90). I went with the 50i for the bigger engine - not regretting the decision yet.
Appreciate 0