03-16-2021, 03:45 AM   #1
f87330i24v
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Arrow BMW X5 e45 ordering - help required

Hello guys!

Nice to meet you and happy to be here.
I am the proud owner of a M2C and am currently on the market for another "more practical" car, reason why I have chosen to go for the X5 e45 hybrid.

Since I am very picky with the options and like brand new cars, wanted to ask what is your opinion regarding ordering a brand new X5 e45 hybrid.
The dealer told me that if I submit an order now, car won't start being manufactured earlier than May 2021. The delivery time would be around 6 months, so I am looking in receiving my X5 in Nov-Dec 2021.

This being said, I am very upset about the extremely slow charging times and reluctant about the 24kWh battery pack which in my opinion is too small.

While reading the articles posted here and doing the math, the G05 X5 has entered the market in 2018, and in 2022 is due to have a LCI update, if I am not mistaking.
Rumors say that the e45 will receive at least a bigger battery pack if not also faster charging speeds.

What do you guys believe?
Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait one more year and submit the order then for the facelifted version? Since I am paying the brand new car premium and not buying an used vehicle?

I asked the dealer the same question and he said that he does not believe anything about an LCI version coming out at all.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:53 AM   #2
Troubleshooter68
Registered
Rep
Drives: Volvo V90 CC 2017

If you're not happy with the charging time or battery size , just skip the 45e.

I have looked at my driving and charging patterns, and for me the current one suits me very well, I would not expect any major changes, maybe add a bigger charger but majority of people do not have the possibility to charge with higher capacity at home anyway, and also not sure where they would put a lager battery to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:21 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
for the size and weight of the X5 45e, the battery size and resultant mileage range is really good. it's received top marks from many objective reviewers. it's a PHEV, not a BEV. understandably, the reduced usable capacity in the U.S. vs EU is a hot topic of discussion, which still hasn't received any official reason from BMW.

definitely look at it for your use case. a PHEV doesn't work for everyone, but the 45e completely meets my demands due to my 20-mile suburban daily work commutes. I still have 80% of fuel in the tank since Dec and only now forcing ICE use for the 1200-mile break-in.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
Cbew
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e PHEV

The daily commute of 20 miles (round trip) made us stop at the 45e. We considered an electrical vehicle first, but the start doing the math. It would be good for daily commute and drive around town, but not that good for longer trips, vacations, etc. (charging times, charging station availability and locations).
The 45e got great reviews, offers you the savings of an EV and the range of an ICE. Best of both worlds. If you get the whole tax credit back next year, and a good discount when negotiating the price, then you get a 4 wheel drive SAV for the price of a 40i arrive.
But that is just me, you got to see if it fits your profile.
Do not get FOMO. Of course every model will come with changes and improvements. Buy the car when it suits you and when you need it, not when they coming out with a new gadget (because they will do, and Murphy’s laws tells us that as soon as you sign for the car, they will upgrade something else).
Just enjoy the process and order the car you like.
Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #5
f87330i24v
Registered
Rep

Thank you guys!
Really appreciate your reviews!
From your experience of owning an X5 45e makes, what should i look out for?
Any known faults etc?
Also, I am not sure about the color. Am thinking of going with the Artic Gray.
What colors do you have? What do you think of the Artic Gray? With black pack everything, of course, and 20inch wheels.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4592.50
      03-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
Cbew
Private
Rep

Again, everything is personal.
I do not like black, or darker colors, exterior and interior.
We chose Manhattan green an Canberra beige interior, with poplar trim. Whatever you like, you should get. If you have $5 k laying around and time to wait, you could ask about BMW Individual and customize your car as unique as you.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
f87330i24v
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbew View Post
Again, everything is personal.
I do not like black, or darker colors, exterior and interior.
We chose Manhattan green an Canberra beige interior, with poplar trim. Whatever you like, you should get. If you have $5 k laying around and time to wait, you could ask about BMW Individual and customize your car as unique as you.
This sounds like a great idea, but I did not know that Individual colors cost $5K
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I "froze" my Arctic Grey with stealth paint protection film.

I ordered fully loaded with 21" wheels but didn't know they were staggered (my first bimmer), so I switched to 20" square. I've not experienced any major bugs or faults, just some minor feature nuances like the air suspension rising up from loading level at random times when parked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
demet123
Rep
Drives: 1976 BMW R90/6

We went with the 5k Individual Midnight Sapphire color, but our fall back was going to be Carbon Black, which I think is a nice black (if you like that sort of thing) as it has lots of Blue in it that you see in bright light. It's a black with depth.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
Cbew
Private
Rep

There you go!
Now sit back and enjoy the ride!
Congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:55 AM   #11
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87330i24v View Post
Thank you guys!
Really appreciate your reviews!
From your experience of owning an X5 45e makes, what should i look out for?
Any known faults etc?
Also, I am not sure about the color. Am thinking of going with the Artic Gray.
What colors do you have? What do you think of the Artic Gray? With black pack everything, of course, and 20inch wheels.
I just got back from the dealer tonight, and the car I picked out has the Artic Gray and it's gorgeous. Just my opinion but it looks great w/ the shadowline extended trim up front.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:59 AM   #12
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I "froze" my Arctic Grey with stealth paint protection film.

I ordered fully loaded with 21" wheels but didn't know they were staggered (my first bimmer), so I switched to 20" square. I've not experienced any major bugs or faults, just some minor feature nuances like the air suspension rising up from loading level at random times when parked.
Wow, that stealth paint protection is dope!
I just put a down payment on an incoming X5 w/ Artic Gray. Is it ok to ask about how much does it cost to get that film ? I see places online that offer the services but no price quotes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post
Wow, that stealth paint protection is dope!
I just put a down payment on an incoming X5 w/ Artic Gray. Is it ok to ask about how much does it cost to get that film ? I see places online that offer the services but no price quotes.
Thanks!

the G05 is a lot of car to cover. it cost about $8k before military discount, but there's only 2 installers here. I suspect if more installers are in your area, prices will be closer to $6k

Last edited by nZtiZia; 03-19-2021 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #14
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

the G05 is a lot of car to cover. it cost about $8k before military discount, but there's only 2 installers here. I suspect if more installers are in your ara, prices will be closer to $6k
thanks - I found a place in Long Beach gave me a quote for a front bra for $1000 and full hood/side panels and up to the front door for $1800. Not bad at all. I didn't get a full car quote.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4592.50
      03-21-2021, 01:55 AM   #15
sophiafig
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

@nZtiZia

Love you wheels. What are those?
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4592.50
      03-21-2021, 05:48 AM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiafig View Post
@nZtiZia

Love you wheels. What are those?
they're Rohana RFX5 20x9" ET27
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #17
HybridLA
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Hello guys!

I am the proud owner of a M2C and am currently on the market for another "more practical" car, reason why I have chosen to go for the X5 e45 hybrid.

Since I am very picky with the options and like brand new cars, wanted to ask what is your opinion regarding ordering a brand new X5 e45 hybrid.
The dealer told me that if I submit an order now, car won't start being manufactured earlier than May 2021. The delivery time would be around 6 months, so I am looking in receiving my X5 in Nov-Dec 2021.

This being said, I am very upset about the extremely slow charging times and reluctant about the 24kWh battery pack which in my opinion is too small.

While reading the articles posted here and doing the math, the G05 X5 has entered the market in 2018, and in 2022 is due to have a LCI update, if I am not mistaking.
Rumors say that the e45 will receive at least a bigger battery pack if not also faster charging speeds.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait one more year and submit the order then for the facelifted version? Since I am paying the brand new car premium and not buying an used vehicle?

I asked the dealer the same question and he said that he does not believe anything about an LCI version coming out at all.

Thank you!

By the way it may be a 24kw battery but in the States we only have access to around 17.1kw (21.6kw in Europe).
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #18
Bimmelim
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Hello guys!

Thank you!
Quote:
Hello guys!

Thank you!
I dont think it will take 6months delivery time, as i understand you are situated in Europe. Mine was produced in US, march 12. and by march 30 it was already in Europe, and delivery will be in a couple of weeks. To my country Norway it takes 6-8weeks from production to delivery. I think you could have it in june or july.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #19
dnsprk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 Cayenne, 2017 GLC

given that there are battery size differences in US vs EU, what are the chances that 22/23 LCI will actually make a difference for us US buyers?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 08:35 PM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnsprk View Post
given that there are battery size differences in US vs EU, what are the chances that 22/23 LCI will actually make a difference for us US buyers?
the battery sizes are not different. all 45e get a 24kWh battery. the usable capacity is different (17kWh in the U.S. vs 21kWh in the EU). the upside is that the high voltage battery gets a longer warranty in the U.S. due to less of the full capacity being utilized.

that being said, it's highly unlikely the LCI will include a "bigger" battery for any market, and with the current thought into the warranty, an LCI won't have any bearing on unlocking more usable capacity for U.S. vehicles, though one can dream...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #21
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
the battery sizes are not different. all 45e get a 24kWh battery. the usable capacity is different (17kWh in the U.S. vs 21kWh in the EU). the upside is that the high voltage battery gets a longer warranty in the U.S. due to less of the full capacity being utilized.

that being said, it's highly unlikely the LCI will include a "bigger" battery for any market, and with the current thought into the warranty, an LCI won't have any bearing on unlocking more usable capacity for U.S. vehicles, though one can dream...
Question on the "useable" battery.... does this mean "useable for electric only" to save a larger reserve for potential hybrid mode driving, or will the car literally not take advantage of the rest of the battery capacity under any circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #22
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Question on the "useable" battery.... does this mean "useable for electric only" to save a larger reserve for potential hybrid mode driving, or will the car literally not take advantage of the rest of the battery capacity under any circumstance.
for lack of a better word, the usable capacity for US 45e is "locked" at 17kWh by BMW. that 17kWh is what's available for all modes. https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1777065

a merchant hacked the full 24kWh capacity, but i haven't seen anyone here do it. While it would be awesome to get 60+ miles of electric range, doing so is dangerous due to the tech underlying lithium batteries. plus, if something were to go wrong with the battery under this hack, BMW will know and likely won't cover it under warranty, which could be a really expensive repair. https://missiontuning.com/bmw-g05-x5...-extender.html

Last edited by nZtiZia; 04-05-2021 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0