BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
FracGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

2021 M50i; Decision Process, Ordering, PCD, First Impressions....

As outlined in a previous post, I have recently placed an order for a 2021 X5 M50i. This was a result of several months worth of research, test drives, etc. I thought I would try to document the evaluation process, as well as the PCD delivery and first impressions. While I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with my assessment and decisions, hopefully this may be of some benefit to those considering an M50i;

SCOPE/BACKGROUND

I have been a licensed driver for over 40 years. I never had the opportunity to own a "premium" luxury/performance vehicle. After being "involuntary retired" following a 33 year career, I was in a position to finally purchase the car of my dreams. After years of driving nothing but Toyota's, Chevy's, Honda's, and Ford's, I made a conscious decision to finally look at a higher end vehicle. My requirements/preferences were as follows:

- Mid Size to Large SUV; after years of driving pickup trucks and utilitarian SUV's, I had become accustomed to the size and seating position of a full sized SUV or truck; while there are obviously some excellent luxury/performance sedans on the market, the size, utility and convenience of an SUV was a necessity

- A vehicle that provided a good mix of luxury, utility and performance. Again, after years of driving some fairly mundane (but quality) vehicles, I wanted something that excited the senses but still provided the comfort and utility I needed. Cross country road trips have become fairly common, so I needed something that could accommodate suit cases and golf clubs but still provide a level of luxury. And due to the fact that I had never owned a vehicle that would even remotely be considered "performance", I wanted something that would bring a smile when jumping on the accelerator. IMO, a minimum of 400HP was required....In my mind, I was thinking a Performance/Luxury/Utility ratio of 40/30/30

- Budget; $80-100,000. Wish I could say that budget was unlimited, but after an unexpected retirement, I had to be realistic...

Candidate Selection

Given the above preferences, candidates were somewhat limited;

- Lincoln Aviator; Probably shouldn't even be included, but it checked the boxes for comfort/utility. While HP met the 400 HP requirement, this is strictly a luxury/comfort vehicle. While impressed with the build quality, features and price, there was absolutely no "fun factor." Maybe when I'm 70 and looking for safe pick, this might be a consideration. But at this stage of my life I was looking for some more excitement...

- Jaguar F-Pace SVR; absolutely loved the sound and performance of the supercharged V8; probably the most impressive power train of the vehicles I tested. The 2020 model had some serious interior quality issues. Much of this was addressed with the 2021 model, but the quality/reliability reputation of Jaguar was a big concern. And ultimately, I just felt the vehicle wasn't quite large enough.

- Land Rover Defender; Obviously met the utility need, and came close on luxury. Loved the styling and features, but absolutely no "performance" component. This became a tough choice once they announced a 2022 model with the supercharged V8, but that model, when available, would exceed my $100k budget. And there were still reliability issues...

- Mercedes Benz GLE 53 AMG; A strong contender. Although lukewarm on the exterior styling, the interior and available features, IMO, was likely best in class. Truly the most comfortable and luxurious of the cars I drove. But almost too a fault. The interior was so refined that I felt it lacked the "sporty" feel I desired. And although impressive to get 429HP out of a V6, it was still a V6....and sticking an AMG badge on this vehicle just didn't seem right. This is NOT an AMG. And while some would (rightfully) argue that the X5 M50i is not really an M, the 523 HP V8 makes you forget that....

- Mercedes Benz GLE 580; a step up in HP from the 53 AMG (and providing the V8 I was looking for) this was another strong contender; again, while impressive, this just didn't provide the sportiness and excitement I was looking for. While I think either the 53 AMG or 580 would be an excellent choice for my wife, this just wasn't what I was looking for. If I could have afforded it, I really believe the GLE 63 AMG would have been an excellent choice, but the price tag for the features I wanted placed it well out of range

- Porsche Cayenne; I've always been a huge fan of Porsche styling, and loved the looks/feel of the Cayenne. However, once luxury and performance options were added, this vehicle quickly became priced out of my reach. A quality vehicle that definitely deserved consideration, I just felt I would never be truly happy with a Cayenne that was optioned out in my price range...

- Other candidates included the Jeep TrackHawk and Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat. While I didn't test drive, I just felt these lacked the luxury/comfort component I was looking for. I also briefly considered the X3 M. While this definitely had the performance component, I just felt the size was too small for what I needed

X5 M50i

At the end of the day, the X5 M50i checked off most, if not all, of the boxes I was looking for. Styling, luxury, comfort and performance were all well balanced. This was a vehicle I could not only take on a cross country trip to visit my granddaughter, but would also put a huge smile on my face when running down to the grocery store for a gallon of milk. Unless I missed something, I don't think there's another mid sized SUV with over 500 HP that can be obtained in this price range. After approximately three months of researching, driving and evaluating numerous vehicles, I finally placed an order for the X5 M50i. Build specs are as follows:

Dravit Grey Metallic
Black Extended Merino Leather
Anthracite Brown Poplar Matte Trim
22" M Double-spoke black wheels, style 742M w/ performance non run-flat tires
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Executive Package
Parking Assistance Package
M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Front Seats, Armrests & Steering Wheel
Front Massaging Seats
Trailer Hitch
Space-saver spare

The order was placed on 4/2/21, and was scheduled for production on 4/8/21. I plan to take delivery at the PDC, and am looking forward to the 1,000 mile return trip to Oklahoma. I'll provide pics and write up of the PDC experience, as well as my first impressions of driving this vehicle. Being that I've been driving either an F150 SuperCrew or a Toyota FJ Cruiser for the last 16 years, I' sure this will be completely different. Truly looking forward to the experience!
Appreciate 1
Datemike108.00
      04-11-2021, 12:31 AM   #2
Jetrik
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FracGuy View Post
As outlined in a previous post, I have recently placed an order for a 2021 X5 M50i. This was a result of several months worth of research, test drives, etc. I thought I would try to document the evaluation process, as well as the PCD delivery and first impressions. While I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with my assessment and decisions, hopefully this may be of some benefit to those considering an M50i;

SCOPE/BACKGROUND

I have been a licensed driver for over 40 years. I never had the opportunity to own a "premium" luxury/performance vehicle. After being "involuntary retired" following a 33 year career, I was in a position to finally purchase the car of my dreams. After years of driving nothing but Toyota's, Chevy's, Honda's, and Ford's, I made a conscious decision to finally look at a higher end vehicle. My requirements/preferences were as follows:

- Mid Size to Large SUV; after years of driving pickup trucks and utilitarian SUV's, I had become accustomed to the size and seating position of a full sized SUV or truck; while there are obviously some excellent luxury/performance sedans on the market, the size, utility and convenience of an SUV was a necessity

- A vehicle that provided a good mix of luxury, utility and performance. Again, after years of driving some fairly mundane (but quality) vehicles, I wanted something that excited the senses but still provided the comfort and utility I needed. Cross country road trips have become fairly common, so I needed something that could accommodate suit cases and golf clubs but still provide a level of luxury. And due to the fact that I had never owned a vehicle that would even remotely be considered "performance", I wanted something that would bring a smile when jumping on the accelerator. IMO, a minimum of 400HP was required....In my mind, I was thinking a Performance/Luxury/Utility ratio of 40/30/30

- Budget; $80-100,000. Wish I could say that budget was unlimited, but after an unexpected retirement, I had to be realistic...

Candidate Selection

- Lincoln Aviator; Probably shouldn't even be included, but it checked the boxes for comfort/utility. While HP met the 400 HP requirement, this is strictly a luxury/comfort vehicle. While impressed with the build quality, features and price, there was absolutely no "fun factor." Maybe when I'm 70 and looking for safe pick, this might be a consideration. But at this stage of my life I was looking for some more excitement...

- Jaguar F-Pace SVR; absolutely loved the sound and performance of the supercharged V8; probably the most impressive power train of the vehicles I tested. The 2020 model had some serious interior quality issues. Much of this was addressed with the 2021 model, but the quality/reliability reputation of Jaguar was a big concern. And ultimately, I just felt the vehicle wasn't quite large enough.

- Land Rover Defender; Obviously met the utility need, and came close on luxury. Loved the styling and features, but absolutely no "performance" component. This became a tough choice once they announced a 2022 model with the supercharged V8, but that model, when available, would exceed my $100k budget. And there were still reliability issues...

- Mercedes Benz GLE 53 AMG; A strong contender. Although lukewarm on the exterior styling, the interior and available features, IMO, was likely best in class. Truly the most comfortable and luxurious of the cars I drove. But almost too a fault. The interior was so refined that I felt it lacked the "sporty" feel I desired. And although impressive to get 429HP out of a V6, it was still a V6....and sticking an AMG badge on this vehicle just didn't seem right. This is NOT an AMG. And while some would (rightfully) argue that the X5 M50i is not really an M, the 523 HP V8 makes you forget that....

- Mercedes Benz GLE 580; a step up in HP from the 53 AMG (and providing the V8 I was looking for) this was another strong contender; again, while impressive, this just didn't provide the sportiness and excitement I was looking for. While I think either the 53 AMG or 580 would be an excellent choice for my wife, this just wasn't what I was looking for. If I could have afforded it, I really believe the GLE 63 AMG would have been an excellent choice, but the price tag for the features I wanted placed it well out of range

- Porsche Cayenne; I've always been a huge fan of Porsche styling, and loved the looks/feel of the Cayenne. However, once luxury and performance options were added, this vehicle quickly became priced out of my reach. A quality vehicle that definitely deserved consideration, I just felt I would never be truly happy with a Cayenne that was optioned out in my price range...

- Other candidates included the Jeep TrackHawk and Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat. While I didn't test drive, I just felt these lacked the luxury/comfort component I was looking for. I also briefly considered the X3 M. While this definitely had the performance component, I just felt the size was too small for what I needed

X5 M50i

At the end of the day, the X5 M50i checked off most, if not all, of the boxes I was looking for. Styling, luxury, comfort and performance were all well balanced. This was a vehicle I could not only take on a cross country trip to visit my granddaughter, but would also put a huge smile on my face when running down to the grocery store for a gallon of milk. Unless I missed something, I don't think there's another mid sized SUV with over 500 HP that can be obtained in this price range. After approximately three months of researching, driving and evaluating numerous vehicles, I finally placed an order for the X5 M50i. Build specs are as follows:

Dravit Grey Metallic
Executive Package
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front Massaging Seats
Trailer Hitch
Space-saver spare

The order was placed on 4/2/21, and was scheduled for production on 4/8/21. I plan to take delivery at the PDC, and am looking forward to the 1,000 mile return trip to Oklahoma. I'll provide pics and write up of the PDC experience, as well as my first impressions of driving this vehicle. Being that I've been driving either an F150 SuperCrew or a Toyota FJ Cruiser for the last 16 years, I' sure this will be completely different. Truly looking forward to the experience!
I'm right there with you man. I spent just about a year planning my move to an SUV. After I test drove the X5 and X3s last June, I felt that it would be one of those. Eventually it became the X5's race to lose as it checked those boxes I wanted checked.

The M50i is a bit of a unicorn as there isn't a direct competitor from another manufacturer. Everything kept coming right back to it. I think you made the proper choice. It's way too early for me as I have had mine for only three days, but I am pleased. I'm just thinking where I can drive now to maximize the experience.
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #3
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

SCOPE/BACKGROUND

Candidate Selection

X5 M50i

Dravit Grey Metallic
Executive Package
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front Massaging Seats
Trailer Hitch
Space-saver spare

I agree the X5 M50i is a Goldilocks when compared to others. The closest competitor in terms of luxury, performance, and utility is probably the Range Rover Sport Supercharged, but it is more expensive when optioned similarly to an X5, to say nothing of the RRS SVR.

TBH, many people I know own Range Rovers and after 2016, their reliability is the same as any other brand. Unfortunately, it is something the brand has to live with because of its past. Also, iDrive is probably the best there is.
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
FracGuy
Private
Rep

Just received notification that I've been assigned a Week 18 build date (May 2-8). Only 3 weeks away....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #5
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Just received notification that I've been assigned a Week 18 build date (May 2-8). Only 3 weeks away....
Me too!
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
MustGoFast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 M50i

Quote:
But waiting sucks.... Good luck and hope you enjoy your pcd
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #7
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

My build - same week as OP

X5 M50i

Black Sapphire Metallic
Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood Trim
Dynamic Handling Package
Premium Package
Extended Shadowline Trim
Front Massaging Seats
Trailer Hitch
Space-saver spare
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
FracGuy
Private
Rep

OK, so I moved from "Scheduled for Production" back to "Order Received." Seems this has happened to a few others as well, and looks like I may just be pushed back a week or two (hopefully...). I've been on the fence about a few things, so took this as an opportunity to modify my build. In addition to the previous specs, I have also added:

- Dynamic Handling Package
- Bowers & Wilkins Sound System

With a few minor exceptions, I'm now about as fully loaded as you can get....WTH.....it's only $$$ and I've waited a long time for this!
Appreciate 1
Jetrik38.00
      04-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, so I moved from "Scheduled for Production" back to "Order Received." Seems this has happened to a few others as well, and looks like I may just be pushed back a week or two (hopefully...). I've been on the fence about a few things, so took this as an opportunity to modify my build. In addition to the previous specs, I have also added:

With a few minor exceptions, I'm now about as fully loaded as you can get....WTH.....it's only $$$ and I've waited a long time for this!
Called today and BMW told me its week 18 again. So back to where I was last week....FWIW. Maybe yours is the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #10
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:

Wise/right additions.
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #11
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Good additions!
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #12
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Same for me as well... Was looking for that V8 with over 400hp/setups and narrowed it down to the M50i or the Audi SQ8... ultimately decided on the M50i. Totally happy with it.
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #13
FracGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Called today and BMW told me its week 18 again. So back to where I was last week....FWIW. Maybe yours is the same.
Great! So has your online status changed back to "Scheduled for Production?" Mine still remains at "Order Received." I'll try calling and see of I can get some additional detail.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #14
FracGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockli81 View Post
Same for me as well... Was looking for that V8 with over 400hp/setups and narrowed it down to the M50i or the Audi SQ8... ultimately decided on the M50i. Totally happy with it.
Good to hear! I forgot to mention that I had also looked at the Audi, but my my wife drives a Q7. Although very happy with it, just wanted something different. I really believe the X5 M50i doesn't really have an equivalent competitor when all things are considered.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #15
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great! So has your online status changed back to "Scheduled for Production?" Mine still remains at "Order Received." I'll try calling and see of I can get some additional detail.
No still says order received. The guy at BMW 800 number said they've been having issues with the website....
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #16
FracGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
No still says order received. The guy at BMW 800 number said they've been having issues with the website....
Checked the website (again....ha!); Status has now been moved back to "Scheduled for Production." Hopefully the next step is forward and not back again....!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #17
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Checked the website (again....ha!); Status has now been moved back to "Scheduled for Production." Hopefully the next step is forward and not back again....!
Ditto!
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-17-2021, 09:16 AM   #18
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you get a PCD date yet? I am thinking about doing same depending in when they can get me in...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
FracGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did you get a PCD date yet? I am thinking about doing same depending in when they can get me in...
Not yet. I assume that won't be assigned until a little later in the process. I'm not necessarily in a big hurry to take delivery, so I'm fine with whenever they can fit me in. Truly looking forward to the experience!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #20
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not yet. I assume that won't be assigned until a little later in the process. I'm necessarily in a big hurry to take delivery, so I'm fine with whenever they can fit me in. Truly looking forward to the experience!
Yeah looks like it would be a blast. I have made an inquiry with my dealer.
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #21
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

FWIW, my G07 production was scheduled for week 5 this year, then got pushed back to week 9, but nobody notified me. Then ended up being built week 5 after all, with a PCD date to match. I've got a ton of info and pics of the PCD and road trip in my journal linked in my signature. Road trip took me through Oklahoma too.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 1
FracGuy51.50
      04-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #22
FracGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
FWIW, my G07 production was scheduled for week 5 this year, then got pushed back to week 9, but nobody notified me. Then ended up being built week 5 after all, with a PCD date to match. I've got a ton of info and pics of the PCD and road trip in my journal linked in my signature. Road trip took me through Oklahoma too.
I've been following your journal - it's what inspired me to start tracking my own journey

Hoping to get moved to the "Production Begins" status soon. Anticipating an early June PCD date.....can't wait!
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3676.50