BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
chipofry
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

BMW drive recorder

Can anyone confirm if it's just the 2020 models that come with drive recorder with the tech pack. Is it on 2019 models? The online video I've seen of it has apps I've not seen on my ID7
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It can be ordered for 2020MY but it's not 100% clear if it will be available as an additional ConnectedDrive service. I'm fairly confident it will be offered as a chargeable service, just not sure when.

It's activated on my car in coding (by default) so I'm guessing BMW plan to offer a retro fit for vehicles with the following services:
- 6U3 Live Cockpit Pro
- 5DN Park Assist Pro
- 6AE TeleServices

It's an app so would be delivered in a similar way to the caring car and experience apps.

I have all of the apps in the videos except for ParkNow/ParkMobile which is a CD service not available in the UK. You may be confusing the new icons with new apps - the icons got a lot prettier with one of the firmware updates. Somewhere between 03/2019.35 and 07/2019.47
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:29 AM   #3
Jacek_PL
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40d, BMW X1, MB GLA AMG

According to my dealer all X5 with 360 camera system are technologically ready to implement the drive recorder (only software matter).
However, the obstacle is the EU legal regulations in the field of personal data protection (other people are recorded ...). If not for them they could implement it in every BMW with iDrive7 and 360 cameras.
At least that's the information I got from the dealer - I asked about a week ago.

p.s. Maybe the Brexit will help You Guys
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:46 AM   #4
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Think they are right on the 360 cam requirement.

It did occur to me that there might be general privacy concerns but the Drive Recorder can be ordered on MY2020 G05 in the UK so that doesn't seem to be a hard block, at least not in the UK.
https://www.bmw.co.uk/content/dam/bm..._PriceList.pdf

Brexit might help with auto lane change and eTJA though
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 03:09 AM   #5
chipofry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek_PL View Post
According to my dealer all X5 with 360 camera system are technologically ready to implement the drive recorder (only software matter).
However, the obstacle is the EU legal regulations in the field of personal data protection (other people are recorded ...). If not for them they could implement it in every BMW with iDrive7 and 360 cameras.
At least that's the information I got from the dealer - I asked about a week ago.

Classic, the only positive possible outcome for Brexit
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #6
chipofry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
It can be ordered for 2020MY but it's not 100% clear if it will be available as an additional ConnectedDrive service. I'm fairly confident it will be offered as a chargeable service, just not sure when.

It's activated on my car in coding (by default) so I'm guessing BMW plan to offer a retro fit for vehicles with the following services:
- 6U3 Live Cockpit Pro
- 5DN Park Assist Pro
- 6AE TeleServices

It's an app so would be delivered in a similar way to the caring car and experience apps.

I have all of the apps in the videos except for ParkNow/ParkMobile which is a CD service not available in the UK. You may be confusing the new icons with new apps - the icons got a lot prettier with one of the firmware updates. Somewhere between 03/2019.35 and 07/2019.47
I'm not showing any updates past 03/19. Says none available
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:34 AM   #7
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipofry View Post
I'm not showing any updates past 03/19. Says none available
That's because OTA i-step upgrades are not being used yet. You would need to ask your dealer to upgrade you. Just mention one of the dozen or so bugs that are present up to 03/2019. CarPlay is a favourite.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:

Google has Street View's of London, so they are able to do the equivalent of drive recorder. They do have to scrub parts (license plate, faces) of the images before they publish them, but there doesn't seem to be a restriction on making the recordings.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I wonder what people actually look like when the cars cams see them? You know how the various cams stitch their views together, right? Can someone conduct a test with their remote viewing app and people on all four sides the car so we can see what they actually look like? I know if won't be a video but I'm wondering if you can even discern who the people are or will you just see distorted faces?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I wonder what people actually look like when the cars cams see them? You know how the various cams stitch their views together, right? Can someone conduct a test with their remote viewing app and people on all four sides the car so we can see what they actually look like? I know if won't be a video but I'm wondering if you can even discern who the people are or will you just see distorted faces?
They will be distorded, but it's easy enough to reproject to a 'flat' perspective, as the software already does it for the 360 view anyway.
      09-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Quote:

Google has Street View's of London, so they are able to do the equivalent of drive recorder. They do have to scrub parts (license plate, faces) of the images before they publish them, but there doesn't seem to be a restriction on making the recordings.
No issue in the UK however I understand the restriction for the use of drive recorder or dash cams is in Germany. They have strict laws on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon4499 View Post
No issue in the UK however I understand the restriction for the use of drive recorder or dash cams is in Germany. They have strict laws on this.
well, that's what I'm wondering...as an owner, I would want to see undistorted pix and be able to see faces clearly but somehow, from the views I have seen, I wouldn't think it would be possible.

So, lets say someone vandalized your car and you caught it on video, would it be any good? Or would you just see arms, legs, distorted faces..in which case, as some have mentioned here, it wouldn't do any good for vandalism. From a dash cam viewpoint where it records cars on the road such that you can tell if an accident is your fault or the other guy, I would think this was its intention...to break into the dash cam market.

Yes...no? Anyone want to try it?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Distorted to YOU isn't necessarily so for the computer. Perhaps you can't see a visage because it's at an edge of a fisheye image, but it's easy enough to correct in software, as I said before, the system already does it ALL THE TIME for the 360 view, in ways which are way, WAY more complicated and mathematically complex than just straight defishing a static picture of someone.

The cameras are fisheye /because/ that's the most optimal way of capturing as much of the field of view as you can possibly do with any optical systems. The software to 'de-fisheye' a part of it is well known as well.

I'm a landscape photographer, and one of my favourite lens is a fisheye!

09-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Nice shot! Craig Goch Dam in the Elan Valley?
Appreciate 1
buze131.00
      09-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Nice shot! Craig Goch Dam in the Elan Valley?
Yep! We have a house in Rhayader, 15m from there.

Notice the perspective tho, it doesn't look fisheye, but it covers nearly 180 degrees horizontally if you know the place...
      11-15-2020, 02:16 PM   #16
Chrudosh
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Does the drive recorder also records when parked and somebody hit the car and runs?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #17
chipofry
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrudosh View Post
Does the drive recorder also records when parked and somebody hit the car and runs?
No only records while driving, if you manually record does 20 seconds before button press and 20 seconds after. Records automatically if it detects a crash
Appreciate 0