BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: What type of installation would you want?
I'm good with powering through USB 7 31.82%
Hardwire 12v into fuse 12 54.55%
Mirror tap type power 6 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

03-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #45
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I have this issue in my current 2019 X3 M40i with IR-blocking tint. I expect I'll have the same experience with my 2021 45e (in production), so you can add me to the list of interested parties.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #46
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
update: i tested outside while driving in partly sunny conditions, dry, 78°F. I shone the flashlight on the sensor, but the dash did not brighten, so this tells me it was already at max brightness, which is a good thing, right (considering I have ceramic tint)?

I also drove through a street with arching branches where the sunlight is patchy through openings in the leaves/branches. my dash brightness stayed constant, meaning it did not dim or brighten as I drove through varying levels of sunlight and shade. Also, the dash brightness didn't change when I shone the flashlight on the sensor while driving through this area.

it appears not all brands are equal. I have 35% XPEL prime XR+ ceramic tint, which purports 98% IR heat rejection. I can recommend this brand, but YMMV depending on your desired tint level.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 03-25-2021 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #47
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 (G05) 50i

Worked on the mirror tap tonight and hard-wired my unit into the car. Here's a couple pictures of the mirror tap wiring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #48
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Whether it helps or not, here is the location of the sensor on the display.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:13 PM   #49
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Updated the first post with a few things. Most importantly, I've been working on a website in the background while i wait for things to arrive and/or print.

I didn't launch the site/store yet, but you can sign up to be notified when it's open, i'll obviously post in here as well.

http://www.bimmerlight.com

I've been working on installation instructions and a few other things, which will all be on the site.

I've settled on the name of BimmerLight. Very creative I know
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4657.50
LexxM31698.50
      04-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #50
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just waiting on parts... if USPS and UPS deliver on time, i should have everything and the final version assembled by end of the weekend... will post pictures once it's all assembled.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #51
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I'm curious - those who are annoyed by this issue - do you keep the sunroof shade open or closed?

I got 3M ceramic the day after I brought the car home. I did notice a dimming issue b/c that day it was overcast and rainy and I noticed the display wasn't quite as bright as it was the day before. However, since then I guess I just got used to it. I do keep my sunroof shade open almost 100% of the time though. So that may be helping in my scenario.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #52
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
luckily for me even with 98% IR rejection/35% tint, I don't get much dashboard dimming at night or cloudy/rainy days (like today) and don't have to open the pan roof to help brighten it, but if it helps... my kids like when it's open, so it's a win win, though I did a test a few weeks ago and it made no difference in brightness. I even wear polarized sunglasses, so for me, I really don't think it's subjective tolerance; but rather my sensor isn't hurt by the wide range in ambient brightness levels.

I've seen video of how low it can dim even in full daylight, which understandably isn't acceptable. they really should allow manual adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #53
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I'm curious - those who are annoyed by this issue - do you keep the sunroof shade open or closed?

I got 3M ceramic the day after I brought the car home. I did notice a dimming issue b/c that day it was overcast and rainy and I noticed the display wasn't quite as bright as it was the day before. However, since then I guess I just got used to it. I do keep my sunroof shade open almost 100% of the time though. So that may be helping in my scenario.
I tried both ways, doesn't really matter.

It's very much an issue of you don't know until you know how much better it can be. I have the dash trim out right now as i'm working on some modeling so i don't have my BimmerLight hooked up, it sucks, once you now what it CAN be like, it really sucks not having it.

I think most people have it, but some don't seem to mind as much. Which i personally don't get, especially with tinted windows and wearing sunglasses, it's nearly impossible to see the screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #54
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnack View Post
I tried both ways, doesn't really matter.

It's very much an issue of you don't know until you know how much better it can be. I have the dash trim out right now as i'm working on some modeling so i don't have my BimmerLight hooked up, it sucks, once you now what it CAN be like, it really sucks not having it.

I think most people have it, but some don't seem to mind as much. Which i personally don't get, especially with tinted windows and wearing sunglasses, it's nearly impossible to see the screen.
I'll have to go check. My windows are tinted 30%, so not overly dark. I wear sunglasses 100% of the time. It's never really bothered me.

Edit - Nice and sunny here today. Just went out and checked it. Using the iPhone flashlight, I can see the screen get brighter. It's not a night and day difference though. I would say for me, the "unaltered" brightness must be at or above 75% of max bright. Guess it's just my tint isn't dark enough to really make a huge difference. Putting my hand over the sensor causes it to go more dim then putting the flashlight causes to brighten up - which is how I got to the 75% approximation.

Last edited by VTENGR; 04-01-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #55
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If nothing else it’s the constant changing that I personally find annoying. If it’s daylight I just want my screen to be bright. When it’s dark dim down.

Mine will dim up and down along a road as the trees create shade or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #56
Mynoles1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i M-Sport

chrisnack,
I keep my roof shade open, but as others have said, it does not seem to affect it, oddly enough. After a month or so observation, I have noticed that it actually is tolerable at night, probably as much due to the fact that I am not wearing sunglasses as anything, but far more "tolerable." Unfortunately, I rarely drive at night anymore. What is not tolerable is during the daylight. It is predominately VERY dim (75-80% of the time maybe), and after staring ahead into the bright Texas sky and the road up ahead and then back down at the cluster/iDrive screen they are literally unreadable with exception to the digital speedo. If I need to see something I will take off my sunglasses (Oakley - NON polarized) and let my eyes adjust to the dim cluster for a moment or two.

Oddly enough, I do find some improvement when in SPORT mode, that display is more equally illuminated than the COMFORT display, which highlights the proximity of your current speed/tach. That is not a viable answer to the problem but seems to be little ways I learn to deal with it.

Frankly, this is ridiculous. Ironically, BMW HQ called me one final time to tell me that "after all their internal discussions..." on the subject that there is an adjustment in iDrive (they were referring to the ambient light) and also an adjustment wheel by the headlight switch. Oh yeah, these people are real sharp......She informed that she is done with it. I knew that before sending the letter........

For those with the ceramic tint that causes no issue, please understand that my tint is not the sole issue here. I have very fine quality tint, but I had this dimming problem from day one, PRIOR to getting the tint. The ceramic just makes it a bit worse, for sure, but is not the cause.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #57
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I experienced no issues before tint and was relieved my ceramic tint didn't make things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnack View Post
Mine will dim up and down along a road as the trees create shade or not.
the problem is real, for sure, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #58
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynoles1 View Post
chrisnack,
I keep my roof shade open, but as others have said, it does not seem to affect it, oddly enough. After a month or so observation, I have noticed that it actually is tolerable at night, probably as much due to the fact that I am not wearing sunglasses as anything, but far more "tolerable." Unfortunately, I rarely drive at night anymore. What is not tolerable is during the daylight. It is predominately VERY dim (75-80% of the time maybe), and after staring ahead into the bright Texas sky and the road up ahead and then back down at the cluster/iDrive screen they are literally unreadable with exception to the digital speedo. If I need to see something I will take off my sunglasses (Oakley - NON polarized) and let my eyes adjust to the dim cluster for a moment or two.

Oddly enough, I do find some improvement when in SPORT mode, that display is more equally illuminated than the COMFORT display, which highlights the proximity of your current speed/tach. That is not a viable answer to the problem but seems to be little ways I learn to deal with it.

Frankly, this is ridiculous. Ironically, BMW HQ called me one final time to tell me that "after all their internal discussions..." on the subject that there is an adjustment in iDrive (they were referring to the ambient light) and also an adjustment wheel by the headlight switch. Oh yeah, these people are real sharp......She informed that she is done with it. I knew that before sending the letter........

For those with the ceramic tint that causes no issue, please understand that my tint is not the sole issue here. I have very fine quality tint, but I had this dimming problem from day one, PRIOR to getting the tint. The ceramic just makes it a bit worse, for sure, but is not the cause.
Yup, yours sound as bad as mine. I noticed the problem was the same on a 2021 X5 i drove that had no tint. Also i had X3 2021 loaner while my X5 was in the stop, also no tint, still the same issue!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #59
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well my parts never came in, delays with DHL and USPS, so fingers crossed for this week!

Was a nice sunny day, so i grabbed a good photo of the sensor mounted up on the dash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4657.50
      04-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #60
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just wanted to get in another update for everyone.

Did eventually get those boards in this week, Couple little issues that need to be tweaked, so will be ordering a new revision here shortly and that should hopefully be the final version.

I'm adding pinouts for a OLED screen, so the first few units will have that so I can easily get some data back from people if there are any issues. Eventually that won't be necessary and I'll remove the screen from future builds.

Also removing the USB serial interface from the board, which will further reduce down the size of it and removes a small cost of components to the board. So the left 1/4 of the board will disappear from what you see in the photo. What's called JST connectors will be on the board so that the wiring/components can easily be replaced without any soldering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4657.50
LexxM31698.50
      04-08-2021, 08:35 PM   #61
Mynoles1
Private
Rep

That is really going to be small. Awesome! Keep us all posted on your progress.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #62
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is really going to be small. Awesome! Keep us all posted on your progress.
Yup, trying to get the size down.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #63
Mynoles1
Private
Rep

I have a really dumb question, especially considering I don't know a single thing about what goes on behind the dash of a BMW (or any other car.)

Was wondering what would happen if the entire sensor was disabled somehow (or accidentally destroyed via hammer and screwdriver )? Is the sensor's sole purpose in life adjusting the light to the cluster or does it tie in elsewhere? Is there a wire, fuse, circuit, etc., that supplies power to that sensor and what would happen if that circuit met an untimely demise??

Secondly, isn't there a different sensor on the back of the mirror assembly that controls the Auto Headlight function? Could there be a magic fix of disabling the cluster sensor and "routing" that functionality to the Auto Headlight sensor?

Sorry, my frustration at this whole thing is boiling over today with our intermittent clouds, rain and bright sunshine.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #64
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have a really dumb question, especially considering I don't know a single thing about what goes on behind the dash of a BMW (or any other car.)

Was wondering what would happen if the entire sensor was disabled somehow (or accidentally destroyed via hammer and screwdriver )? Is the sensor's sole purpose in life adjusting the light to the cluster or does it tie in elsewhere? Is there a wire, fuse, circuit, etc., that supplies power to that sensor and what would happen if that circuit met an untimely demise??

Secondly, isn't there a different sensor on the back of the mirror assembly that controls the Auto Headlight function? Could there be a magic fix of disabling the cluster sensor and "routing" that functionality to the Auto Headlight sensor?

Sorry, my frustration at this whole thing is boiling over today with our intermittent clouds, rain and bright sunshine.
The sensor for the headlights is a completely different one that is mounted up on the windshield.

The dash/instrument cluster sensor is part of the actual cluster display unit. Not sure how or why you'd ever have a screwdriver near it There seems to be a reasonably thick glass/plastic layer on the LCD. On a old school dash, you literally had light bulbs that lighted up the gauges, slowly those have progressed to digital/LCD displays. I drove my brothers Audi A4 the other day, that has a digital display similar to the BMW, and it's just bright all the time, no dimming function, although it's LCD it functions like an old school display. Which is how all my BMW's have been before this new "digital" dash.

I hear ya, cloudy days can be the worst.

As soon as this next batch of revised boards comes in, i should have some available. I think you'll be happy as a clam once you get the unit, i know i am with mine, just a nice and bright dash all day long. It's a little thing, but makes a big difference.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4657.50
      04-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #65
Mynoles1
Private
Rep

Nice and bright - that is music to my ears!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #66
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice and bright - that is music to my ears!
Yup, like i said, i had it out for a week while i was messing with some stuff and it sucked big time.
Appreciate 0