BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

G05 to F95/F97 Mirror Housing Conversion

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post a quick pick of a cheap mod...
I got this off of AliExpress for ~$50 (item+tax+shipping) which I figured I'd give it a shot...
It came with both, the outer shell as well as the inner shell, which is what caught my interest.

Fitment was 99% I'd say. I got everything aligned with the exception of the inner housing clip. I was unable to get that clipped in despite me putting a good amount of force into it. I think I am okay with it though. The material is good, felt fairly solid for a non-OEM part. All clips are present as well, so no need for any doublesided tape as some parts require from China. All the holes lined up for the wires as well as the screws and you just heard things pop into place as you're holding and screwing the outer shell in.

With that said, I just wanted to give a thanks to bforbrian for pointing me to the thread where the instructions on the inner shell removal can be found. Thanks man!

The link to the item purchased is:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802091131030.html

I've attached two pictures to show the inner and outer shells, as well as the part at the hinge that I was not able to clip together.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on the process or just any additional pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by elite-fusion; 09-09-2022 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:34 PM   #2
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

It's like that with the Autotecknic retrofit mirror housing and cap too (unless I didn't install it perfectly).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Kobe4Ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Thanks for posting man, I bought the autoteknik mirror conversion kit but I have not installed them yet as I cannot find a good install video as crazy as that sounds, mind sharing the install link??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #4
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe4Ever View Post
Thanks for posting man, I bought the autoteknik mirror conversion kit but I have not installed them yet as I cannot find a good install video as crazy as that sounds, mind sharing the install link??
This is what was shared with me
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872354
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 09:18 PM   #5
Kobe4Ever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
This is what was shared with me
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872354
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 12:04 AM   #6
manhattangreenbimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Can you post more pictures? I’m trying to figure out if it make sense to order from AliBaba or go the secure way with the autotecknic retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonraphael View Post
Can you post more pictures? I’m trying to figure out if it make sense to order from AliBaba or go the secure way with the autotecknic retrofit.
what more pics do you want? from what angle?
if you're going this route in gloss black:
https://autotecknic.com/products/aut...-g06-x6-g07-x7

go with AliExpress, I cannot imagine that AutoTechnic would be any better since its still non-OEM for more than 4 times the price of AliExpress. Your call of course, perhaps its me being cheap, but I would not have put them on if I saw that they were poorly made from AliExpress, I would just loose the $50 that I spent, but the quality really was quite decent, and from the outside of the shell, you cannot see/tell any flaws in my opinion.

But let me know what other pics you want and I can take some.

To add to this...you CAN see that it is non-OEM black because if you look at my photos above in OP, you will see that the outer shell is not as smooth as paint would have been. You can see that in my shoulder reflection and the utility boxes on the lawn reflection. They are not smooth, BUT when you purchase from AutoTechnic, I think the result would be the same if you're purchasing Standard Gloss Black (non-painted)

Last edited by elite-fusion; 09-12-2022 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #8
Fifthtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe4Ever View Post
Did you install these yet; were there any fitment issues like one of the posters mentioned above?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 12:31 AM   #9
Boogie651
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
what more pics do you want? from what angle?
if you're going this route in gloss black:
https://autotecknic.com/products/aut...-g06-x6-g07-x7

go with AliExpress, I cannot imagine that AutoTechnic would be any better since its still non-OEM for more than 4 times the price of AliExpress. Your call of course, perhaps its me being cheap, but I would not have put them on if I saw that they were poorly made from AliExpress, I would just loose the $50 that I spent, but the quality really was quite decent, and from the outside of the shell, you cannot see/tell any flaws in my opinion.

But let me know what other pics you want and I can take some.

To add to this...you CAN see that it is non-OEM black because if you look at my photos above in OP, you will see that the outer shell is not as smooth as paint would have been. You can see that in my shoulder reflection and the utility boxes on the lawn reflection. They are not smooth, BUT when you purchase from AutoTechnic, I think the result would be the same if you're purchasing Standard Gloss Black (non-painted)
How are these holding up? looking to do a conversion soon and stumbled upon this thread. How is shipping? Never ordered from Aliexpress before…
Appreciate 0