BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2024, 11:19 AM   #89
crabman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

If I understand you correctly, I agree on the yet. They said it would never be possible to code my S580 when I bought it, new security and all that. A year later it was coded.

It may be that these remain locked for a good long time, I'm in no way implying a breakthrough is right around the corner. I'm just not doing a 10 count; there are some smart people out there.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 12:11 PM   #90
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11001X101 View Post
I'm not sure what years yours are but for this generation, you can set it so it will fold mirrors when locked. Some either don't know or intentionally leave it unfolded because of wear concern as TurtleBoy said.
Gotcha, that seems odd. Reminds me of a childhood friend whose father would buy a new Cadillac every year and the first thing he did was remove the hood ornament so that nobody would steal it.

I’ve never had a power mirror failure in any of my cars but if I did, I’d just get it fixed. If one honestly doesn’t use features in their car for fear that they’ll break, I’d suggest a BMW probably isn’t for them.
      05-07-2024, 12:28 PM   #91
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Gotcha, that seems odd. Reminds me of a childhood friend whose father would buy a new Cadillac every year and the first thing he did was remove the hood ornament so that nobody would steal it..
That brings back memories, had a few guys in town that would do the same thing.
      05-07-2024, 07:00 PM   #92
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andPlanes View Post
Facinating debate! I am driving BMWs for past 22 years, however I am not as knowledgeable as you guys are and don’t qualify to be labelled as an “enthusiastic”. I am though, a data guy. There is so much back and forth on the internet regarding ASS has no impact on the engine OR that it is guaranteed to cause issues right after warranty expires!! Where is the evidence of ASS feature damages the engine? Can some of you share some ligit links so I can read and educate myself or any mechanical engineers in here who can explain this to rest of us?

Regards!

There is no evidence of that. I do hate ASS regardless, however.
I’m being honest. I hate it because of my own reason which makes no technical or logical sense.

It just makes me nervous sitting in a stalled car in the middle of the road.

I just want a good work around
Appreciate 2
cellarrat519.50
LuckyBrand1448.50
      05-07-2024, 07:13 PM   #93
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holomatrix7 View Post
I don't care what you say, stopping and starting has to increase wear on different parts. I now keep it permanently software disabled. Engine is happier, car is happier, I am happier. Screw the bought politicians
You are 100% correct sir.

Yes increased wear on parts but they are build to withstand the life of the car, so it doesn’t matter to the consumer.

It is annoying as hell and would absolutely love a way to turn it off.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1448.50
      05-07-2024, 07:30 PM   #94
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno View Post
I’m being honest. I hate it because of my own reason which makes no technical or logical sense.

It just makes me nervous sitting in a stalled car in the middle of the road.

I just want a good work around
As long as it is the way you feel, it makes sense. Emotions are a powerful motivator, oftentimes moreso than logic. Try using the DSC workaround, as long as you aren't racing around it shouldn't be a problem having it turned off.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 05-07-2024 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:54 AM   #95
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

I guess I’m in the minority of people who habitually switch to sport plus before backing out of the garage…..although I will say it is noticeable how much more often I find myself needing to get gas now that I’m in an m50 vs the 40i.

As far as the folding mirrors, man….thats one of my favorite options. I couldn’t imagine not using it at every opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:06 AM   #96
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

This looks like another argument with people not wanting to accept the new fangled stuff. Like disc brakes - you cannot even adjust them like on drum brakes. Or computer icons where you cannot get directly to the OS. Or double clutch automatic transmissions that will not allow you to slip the clutch to control the car better. I could go on and on with examples. ASS is here. It is mandated and not going away. Learn to live with it.
Tucson, AZ - you don't have to shove sunshine
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2024, 10:14 AM   #97
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
This looks like another argument with people not wanting to accept the new fangled stuff. Like disc brakes - you cannot even adjust them like on drum brakes. Or computer icons where you cannot get directly to the OS. Or double clutch automatic transmissions that will not allow you to slip the clutch to control the car better. I could go on and on with examples. ASS is here. It is mandated and not going away. Learn to live with it.
Most of us do accept new stuff that’s why we all have new bimmers.

ASS is shit period.
Appreciate 3
      05-08-2024, 10:23 AM   #98
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
The bigger issue is when this ga of no value are mandated. It would be like mandating that your phone has to shut off completely if you don't touch the screen for 5 seconds "to conserve energy". No value, stupid, and just because some overpaid bureaucrats thought it was a good idea doesn't mean it is a good idea.

The simple solution here is vote with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy a vehicle where you can't turn it off. I don't see myself buying a vehicle that doesn't allow me to turn it off because I don't see the point in spending the amount of money new vehicles cost on vehicles with things I dislike a lot. I don't like control being taken away from me, so I won't buy it.
Appreciate 3
LuckyBrand1448.50
Caveno176.50
1Boxer36.00
      05-08-2024, 11:10 AM   #99
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
The simple solution here is vote with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy a vehicle where you can't turn it off.
Agreed. As it happens it’s not an issue on the 50e but had I been looking for a 40i, 40d or M60 I would not have gone ahead now you can’t turn stop start off. I’d have gone elsewhere, I absolutely hate stop start
Appreciate 3
LuckyBrand1448.50
Caveno176.50
1Boxer36.00
      05-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #100
sharkymcpeterson
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

I hate start stop too. No real reason behind it, all I know is it repulses me….I feel like I’m Hans landa at the beginning of inglorious basterds…
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1448.50
Caveno176.50
      05-08-2024, 11:29 AM   #101
matowi
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Agreed. As it happens it’s not an issue on the 50e but had I been looking for a 40i, 40d or M60 I would not have gone ahead now you can’t turn stop start off. I’d have gone elsewhere, I absolutely hate stop start
Makes me wonder. Can someone tell what is the difference between the start/stop technology in the hybrids (50e) and in M60i?

As far as I can tell, in hybrid mode the 50e runs on battery and kicks in the ICE every now and then (e.g. under acceleration). When the ICE comes on, isn’t that the same as a-s-s in pure ICE cars?

Isn’t the job of the MHEV bit of technology integrated in the LCI non-hybrids much the same as what the smarts in 50e do?

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:00 PM   #102
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by matowi View Post
Makes me wonder. Can someone tell what is the difference between the start/stop technology in the hybrids (50e) and in M60i?

As far as I can tell, in hybrid mode the 50e runs on battery and kicks in the ICE every now and then (e.g. under acceleration). When the ICE comes on, isn’t that the same as a-s-s in pure ICE cars?
Yes but the ICE is almost never running at the times that ASS activates, so even when the EV range shows "---" (zero) the car actually 'steps off' from a light on EV power and immediately tow starts the ICE so any intrusion is pretty minimal.

I can feel the slightest little vibration when the ICE turns on but since there's no delay in motion I don't think it affects my brain as much as it might on an ICE vehicle.

Quote:
Isn’t the job of the MHEV bit of technology integrated in the LCI non-hybrids much the same as what the smarts in 50e do?
You'd think so but since the MHEV models don't really have a way of driving on EV power, they still suffer from the slight delay that I mention above.

Basically the EV motor buffers the problem for the PHEV models.
      05-08-2024, 12:14 PM   #103
crabman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
The bigger issue is when this ga of no value are mandated. It would be like mandating that your phone has to shut off completely if you don't touch the screen for 5 seconds "to conserve energy". No value, stupid, and just because some overpaid bureaucrats thought it was a good idea doesn't mean it is a good idea.

The simple solution here is vote with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy a vehicle where you can't turn it off. I don't see myself buying a vehicle that doesn't allow me to turn it off because I don't see the point in spending the amount of money new vehicles cost on vehicles with things I dislike a lot. I don't like control being taken away from me, so I won't buy it.
There are very few cars without it, OEMs need the credits and/or benefits on the test loop, to meet federal/CARB mandates. Similar mandates are playing out across most of the West.

I don't realistically see this going away. I've just read the regs again and they have always said the car must default to the state it was tested in on the test loop at each startup. Start/stop will almost invariably be on during testing.

Years ago BMW went to the EPA, asked for, and received, an exemption to turn it to last state at startup, at the owners request, after the new car sale. That eventually went away, but they left in the ability to have the button continue to work as a toggle.

I'm not sure how it went down after that with the decision to make it so the button actually work they way, (if I read the regs right) that was always required.

The ability to use the defeat as a toggle has gone away from all the cars I have owned recently; they took it away when I was at Porsche, at MB it was already gone but some owners were lamenting it's loss. I was under the impression that a crackdown has come to pass, and OEMs are all moving across the board as a result of it.

Maybe someone knows something more concrete?
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1448.50
      05-08-2024, 04:11 PM   #104
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
There are very few cars without it, OEMs need the credits and/or benefits on the test loop, to meet federal/CARB mandates. Similar mandates are playing out across most of the West.

I don't realistically see this going away. I've just read the regs again and they have always said the car must default to the state it was tested in on the test loop at each startup. Start/stop will almost invariably be on during testing.

Years ago BMW went to the EPA, asked for, and received, an exemption to turn it to last state at startup, at the owners request, after the new car sale. That eventually went away, but they left in the ability to have the button continue to work as a toggle.

I'm not sure how it went down after that with the decision to make it so the button actually work they way, (if I read the regs right) that was always required.

The ability to use the defeat as a toggle has gone away from all the cars I have owned recently; they took it away when I was at Porsche, at MB it was already gone but some owners were lamenting it's loss. I was under the impression that a crackdown has come to pass, and OEMs are all moving across the board as a result of it.

Maybe someone knows something more concrete?
In 2009 when GM and Chrysler went bankrupt obama bailed them out in return for aggressive new CAFE standards.

CAFE standards are the average fuel economy a car company produces. It started in the 70s but under Obama EPA was given a big boost of power.

Car companies are incentivized to make the most fuel efficient cars in order to receive credits.

If you don’t meet the CAFE standard then you need to BUY credits from a more efficient automaker.

So Ford which makes the F150 would need to buy credits from Tesla for example. This is really how Tesla started by clipping billions in EPA credits from other automakers, BMW included.

Obamas scheme empowered the EPA by giving them the ability to set rules on how to receive credits.

The EPA now can make rules around ASS dictating how much credits you can receive if your ASS is defeatable or not.

I don’t blame BMW, they are trying to sell us what we want (big fast powerful cars at a decent price) while adhering to the EPA.

We all hate ASS, even if you tolerate it you’d shut it off if you could.

But you know what we hate even more? Driving a low powered gas car with a dinky 4cyl engine with barely enough room for passengers. See most of Europe.

Or worse (gulp), being forced to drive a car powered by a battery.

As much as I hate ASS I choose my V8 with 550 hp.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1448.50
      05-08-2024, 07:29 PM   #105
crabman
Major
Rep

I'm aware, I was driving a well-built V8 before it was enacted, and have continued to do so all along. It's been a while since I built my own, I just spice them up a little bit nowadays.

I'm not blaming BMW, or any of the rest, if fault needs to been found it would lie in the regulations. My thought was that we're not going back, that's all I was saying.

Personally, I'm not particularly worried about it. You gotta move on in this life, or you get life behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 04:33 PM   #106
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It started with a discussion about not using features because they may wear out. We have at least one member post saying they won't set their mirrors to folding because they are afraid they will wear out.
In the winter I keep the mirrors in the unfolded mode. My mirrors froze one winter and wouldn’t unfold. The motor grunted a lot and I couldn’t see out the mirrors lol. But spring summer and fall I let the mirrors fold and unfold.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1448.50
      05-13-2024, 07:42 PM   #107
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Also, you can get some additional info (e.g. why engine didn't shut off) about start/stop function from "Energy Flow" dashboard in Pre-LCI as shown here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2003704

So far I've seen:
1. Near stop sign
2. Climate control (AC on)
3. In neighbor street
4. Power (low battery)
Appreciate 0