BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Remote services via MyBMW is now free for G05 (YMMV)

My ConnectedDrive subscription expired in Dec 2023. I haven't renewed it since it asks CAD 150/yr which is ridiculous. Consequently, I haven't been able to lock/unlock or remote start engine via MyBMW. The only function left in the app were checking status/vehicle finder/trip statistics.

Last week when I opened the app, I noticed that most of the remote services are back (except remote 3D camera which I couldn't care less)! I hopped onto ConnectedDrive store and noticed that remote services are active permanently now and shown as "included with your vehicle".

Though I think BMW should have done this from the beginning, I do appreciate them making this happen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
LuckyBrand1317.00
CGG171.50
      03-11-2024, 11:30 AM   #2
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I'm curious if the functionality is actually available, or BMW is just being misleading with their verbiage.

For example, I have the same thing on the site, but Connected Drive still has an expiration, and it's entirely unclear if specific features marketed and sold as included with the vehicle (such as remote preconditioning) are under Connected Drive or Remote Services, and/or if BMW moved them at some point (which would be imperceptible to me, but somehow I guess they think it's legal to do a bait and switch with features, and say "oh, now you need to pay us perpetually for this feature you previous purchased").

It would be great if BMW wasn't being scummy about trying to perpetually charge people for the features they sold as included with their vehicles, even as a corrective step, but I'm skeptical that what you're seeing here is just more deceptive and misleading info from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:34 AM   #3
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
I'm curious if the functionality is actually available, or BMW is just being misleading with their verbiage.

For example, I have the same thing on the site, but Connected Drive still has an expiration, and it's entirely unclear if specific features marketed and sold as included with the vehicle (such as remote preconditioning) are under Connected Drive or Remote Services, and/or if BMW moved them at some point (which would be imperceptible to me, but somehow I guess they think it's legal to do a bait and switch with features, and say "oh, now you need to pay us perpetually for this feature you previous purchased").

It would be great if BMW wasn't being scummy about trying to perpetually charge people for the features they sold as included with their vehicles, even as a corrective step, but I'm skeptical that what you're seeing here is just more deceptive and misleading info from BMW.
The feature works according to my tests. I can actually lock my car or schedule a remote start via the app.
Appreciate 1
sigmabody185.00
      03-11-2024, 11:46 AM   #4
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
<shrug> I don't feel misled by BMW in any way. There was no charge for the services, it's very clear when they expire, and I have the choice to pay for them or discontinue using them.

There are perpetual costs for BMW to provide the cellular connection to the vehicle; why would I expect them to cover this forever?
X3_Alaska142.00
      03-11-2024, 12:29 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fate9834 View Post
My ConnectedDrive subscription expired in Dec 2023. I haven't renewed it since it asks CAD 150/yr which is ridiculous. Consequently, I haven't been able to lock/unlock or remote start engine via MyBMW. The only function left in the app were checking status/vehicle finder/trip statistics.

Last week when I opened the app, I noticed that most of the remote services are back (except remote 3D camera which I couldn't care less)! I hopped onto ConnectedDrive store and noticed that remote services are active permanently now and shown as "included with your vehicle".

Though I think BMW should have done this from the beginning, I do appreciate them making this happen.
you screenshot doesn’t tell us the whole story, and it doesn’t prove your ConnectedDrive subscription is “lifetime” now as you presume. those two features you screenshotted (Remote Services and Drive Recorder) are included with the vehicle and supported for as long as they’re technically capable.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:33 PM   #6
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
All subscriptions for vehicles services are scummy. Buy the car, it should work as it did on day 1 for its lifetime. Most of the data transmission is done on my own network anyways, but frankly for the limited amounts of data sent over cell networks, I think the automakers can find a way to include it in the price. We are talking $50-100 worth of cell data over the life of the car.

They're trying to profitize everything, and it's scummy.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1317.00
      03-11-2024, 12:36 PM   #7
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
you screenshot doesn’t tell us the whole story, and it doesn’t prove your ConnectedDrive subscription is “lifetime” now as you presume. those two features you screenshotted (Remote Services and Drive Recorder) are included with the vehicle and supported for as long as they’re technically capable.
I'm not saying ConnectedDrive subscription is lifetime. In fact I still don't have it. So no RTTI or M lap timer for me.
I'm just saying I can now use the remote serives widget in MyBMW (lock/unlock/flash light/horn/remote engine start/planed climate control) WITHOUT an active ConnectedDrive subscription and that looks to be lifetime. This was not the case when my subscription first expired where I can only use vehicle finder.
Appreciate 2
sigmabody185.00
nZtiZia4656.00
      03-11-2024, 12:53 PM   #8
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
All subscriptions for vehicles services are scummy. Buy the car, it should work as it did on day 1 for its lifetime. Most of the data transmission is done on my own network anyways, but frankly for the limited amounts of data sent over cell networks, I think the automakers can find a way to include it in the price. We are talking $50-100 worth of cell data over the life of the car.

They're trying to profitize everything, and it's scummy.
I agree, but as I've said elsewhere, as long as a manufacturer is clear in their promotional and sales materials (and personal communications) as to which features are included with the product, and which features are being rented (as a clearly separate section), I feel like it's at least not misleading. For example, if BMW's site did not include the subscription features as features "included" with the vehicle, but in a separate section as "for rent" items, I still wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't call it dishonest, misleading, and should-be illegal.

Note: BMW's site currently, as when I purchased my vehicle, does not do this, represents the subscription services as features of the vehicle(s), is very misleading, and I sincerely hope they are significantly fined for it eventually. If the government(s) would just fine manufacturers for not being very clear about this, it would do a lot to limit the practice in general (because if manufacturers could not falsely represent these features as "included" if they were actually just rental, there would be some market/sales pressure to convert them to actually included).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:10 PM   #9
e61it
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 545it

Does the "Send maps to car" option work?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:28 PM   #10
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

"Note: BMW's site currently, as when I purchased my vehicle, does not do this, represents the subscription services as features of the vehicle(s), is very misleading"

Right, that was my experience and even when I asked very specific questions to salespeople I got a deer in headlights look. When I got answers they were usually wrong (in the expected direction). I was primed for this because of my previous experience with Mercedes Benz.

I will say this problem is not specific to BMW and I shopped many companies in this car buying iteration and they all effectively hid their future subscription charges. You have to find out yourself and it usually isn't easily findable on the websites and you have to go to the forums. You can bet it is in the fine print somewhere when you buy the car though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:05 PM   #11
fate9834
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e61it View Post
Does the "Send maps to car" option work?
Yes and it has always been working
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 12:19 AM   #12
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscharf View Post
I will say this problem is not specific to BMW and I shopped many companies in this car buying iteration and they all effectively hid their future subscription charges. You have to find out yourself and it usually isn't easily findable on the websites and you have to go to the forums. You can bet it is in the fine print somewhere when you buy the car though.
I am certain there is fine print somewhere to nominally cover the legal aspects.

I would like the legal system (and particularly the regulators for false advertising and misrepresentation) to consider what the average person would perceive, and not what the fine print says. Just because it's possible to read through 20+ pages of fine print doesn't alter the fact that that basic front-facing information is essentially intentionally wrong. Some regulation does, fwiw: there have been fines levied against companies for misleading representations, even if the fine print "clarifies" that the large print is BS. I'd like a world where this was the norm, and not the exception; I say fine these companies, a lot, repeatedly, until they get the message and stop misrepresenting what you are buying and how much it costs.

(Additional special shout-out at Tesla, and their complete BS website pricing, aka "cost after rebates and gas savings". Fines: million dollar fines, many, and this problem will go away, I guarantee it.)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:20 PM   #13
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Oh snap ! Remote start does work in this case ! My connect drive service expired since May 2023. I posted a question previously and can found below. I had a screen shot where my app show no remote start etc..

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2012406

Just like the OP said, I also noticed the change in the app. Decided to give it a try today and it work. Hope this function is free going forward 😆🤞🏻
Attached Images

Audi Q3
Toyota Corolla S
Nissan Murano
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 11:37 AM   #14
Daedalus0101101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

I got a free year because my X5 is a CPO. I dont plan to renew it when it expires and see if I get the free remote services. Like someone else said, I don't care about the remote camera stuff but having the ability to remote start from a distance is the most thing I would want, next being vehicle location.
      03-16-2024, 01:55 PM   #15
leogrrl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 x30i

I popped back onto this forum for the very same reason, fate9834 -- My MyBMW app had expired, and I'd lost my ability to see the status of my X3 or lock/unlock it remotely. Yesterday, I received a notification from the app (which I almost didn't check, since my subscription is expired). Now, I'm able to see my car's status and lock/unlock, and the ConnectedDrive store says that BMW Remote Services are included with my vehicle. I'm glad, because being to confirm that I'd locked my car was the only thing I missed when my subscription expired...