BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #1
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

45e - "charge in time slot" schedule keep changing on its own

The "charge in time slot" schedule keeps changing to some random value on its own.

I have tried updating it in the app and in the car itself, but problem keeps recurring. Anyone else seeing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 11:30 PM   #2
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I haven't had this problem (yet), but I will note that the charging configuration options in the vehicle/app are pretty limited/bad. For something which is just software, and would be trivial to make better, they really dropped the ball quite badly on this feature. It shouldn't be impossible to configure it to not charge in the time window where electricity is literally more expensive than gas (for equivalent range), and you shouldn't need to fool around with fake "departure time" values to get it to charge preferentially when power is cheapest. This was one of the more disappointing blunders from BMW, imho.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 02:27 AM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

This is one reason why some decide to get a smarter EVSE and let the EVSE do it. You can also use a smart home power controller designed for say a water heater to handle the load and use the app to do it for you, but make sure the EVSE you have works properly if power is applied while it is plugged in...many do, but not all.

I'd also document it and pass the info on to BMW. Mention it to your dealer, and it's possible that the latest firmware update works better. OTA updates are at least a version behind what's at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
This is one reason why some decide to get a smarter EVSE and let the EVSE do it. You can also use a smart home power controller designed for say a water heater to handle the load and use the app to do it for you, but make sure the EVSE you have works properly if power is applied while it is plugged in...many do, but not all.

I'd also document it and pass the info on to BMW. Mention it to your dealer, and it's possible that the latest firmware update works better. OTA updates are at least a version behind what's at the dealership.
It's unfortunate that the logic needs to be external, since incorporating the state of charge is probably necessary for optimal behavior. To wit, I would like the vehicle to charge on super off-peak only, unless that would not be enough to fully charge, in which case I want it to charge off-peak also... but since the former period is after the latter, the system would need to know the state of charge to do the "right" thing.

I will try to mention this to the dealer, but my dealership isn't really "local" (side-effect of non-uniform dealer pricing, and needing to go to a more rural dealership to get the optimal price). It's not like I have regular two-way communication with them (they spam me regularly about buying a new car to replace my purchase six months ago, I haven't spoken to them since the purchase; pretty normal for car dealerships, in my experience).
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #5
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Off and on, this has plagued various plug-in BMW vehicles for a long time. WHen I had my i3, people there complained that it didn't always work, too, so that's since 2014.

If you don't complain, it may not get fixed...squeaky wheel and all...might get the latest firmware update out of it...no guarantees.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:09 PM   #6
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post

It's unfortunate that the logic needs to be external, since incorporating the state of charge is probably necessary for optimal behavior. To wit, I would like the vehicle to charge on super off-peak only, unless that would not be enough to fully charge, in which case I want it to charge off-peak also... but since the former period is after the latter, the system would need to know the state of charge to do the "right" thing.

I will try to mention this to the dealer, but my dealership isn't really "local" (side-effect of non-uniform dealer pricing, and needing to go to a more rural dealership to get the optimal price). It's not like I have regular two-way communication with them (they spam me regularly about buying a new car to replace my purchase six months ago, I haven't spoken to them since the purchase; pretty normal for car dealerships, in my experience).
Your don't have to go to the dealer you bought it from for service.
sigmabody185.00
      04-07-2022, 12:44 AM   #7
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmabody View Post
This could get quite complicated: In the Nordic countries, the price of electricity changes every hour and is different every day. The price can vary from zero (or even negative) to over one dollar per kWh + taxes. Tomorrow's prices will be set today in the afternoon. The car would need to download the pricing information from Internet every day..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 03:32 PM   #8
jorisvm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

I have the same issue: my BMW i3 continuously changes from "charge immediately" to "charge in time slot" by itself. It makes it very hard to charge the car.

Has anyone found a solution?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 03:53 PM   #9
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I have had it dump the set-up schedule twice, and the UI is clumsy as hell. Honestly, I have just started letting it start charging as soon as I get home (a) because my utility has no off-peak pricing and (b) it means the car recharges in smaller increments, which I understand promotes battery health at least at the margins
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 08:32 PM   #10
X5Glenn
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xdrive50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
The "charge in time slot" schedule keeps changing to some random value on its own.

I have tried updating it in the app and in the car itself, but problem keeps recurring. Anyone else seeing this issue?
My 2024 x5 50e was also changing departure time and charging slots and I had to go to chargepoint in the bmw app and select carbon credits and pge to turn them on and then turn them both off twice before I was able to stop the car from automatically changing these times. I guess the electric company was actually doing it. Solved on my end by deactivating it on and off twice.
Appreciate 0