E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Hardwiring your radar detector for top windshield mount

07-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Lightbulb Hardwiring your radar detector for top windshield mount

Wanted to hardwire my detector at the top of the windshield. Did some searching and got alot of good info, but there is nearly as much bad info out there.
The main issue is releasing the clips that hold the upper console to the headliner. Most have struggled with these because they are damn near impossible to figure out! In fact, I bet BMW dropped the sunroof closing handle from the "tool kit" because about 1 person in 100 would be able to release these clips without breaking something! (especially as rain is pouring in through your open sunroof)
My tips are as follows:
There are 3 layers to this console: a metal surround (part of the headliner), chrome plated plastic (the base of the console) and the clear plastic lens. You pry the edge in front of the spot lights in a barely noticable slot between the metal surround and chrome plated plastic. The clips are only in about 1/8" from this edge and the total movement required of your screwdriver is about 1/4". Also, try to resist removing the clear plastic lens - it really doesn't help and it's a bitch to get back on properly!
The design flaw is the clips are too short, meaning you have to slide the screwdriver in and immediately up to try to catch the edge of the clip and push it inwards. When you do manage to release the tab the console will drop easily. No plastic part-breaking pulling is required at all!
The other problem is the poor grounds. Someone correctly identified switched power (green wire w/ white stripe) but there are no easy to use grounds up there (I ended up tapping into the heavy brown wire which grounds the console).
Anyway - hope this helps somebody!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

might want to keep it hidden don't want a cop to see it
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
gerardm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan - Alpine White

yeh i just did the install 2 days ago actually it wasn't to bad i just connected to the wrong green/white wire cause apparently there was 2 and i didn't notice till i connected everything and it didn't work lol
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

You may wish to consider running a wire down to the 12V aux power outlet for your V1. More than one person have reported electrical issues when tieing in the V1 to other circuits. The electronics in these cars are complex (obviously) and who knows what other signals are piggybacking on the various circuits or what unintended harmonics might cause.

Then again, may not make a difference, but a dealer could claim it violates the warranty should you tap into an unapproved circuit. Why risk it?

Do a search, several problems with V1 wiring have been reported. I played it safe, and ran a wire down the A-pillar, under the dash, and into the back of the 12V cig lighter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
gerardm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan - Alpine White

i havent had any issues with mine no warnings, sunroof works fine doesnt power off the v1 at all.. so idk i guess whatever u feel most comfortable doing.. do. none of the methods listed in the DYI sections are really that hard theyre pretty quick
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

I had no probs either. Very quick install. Only took 15mins. I did not need tools to get to the clips. I just used my 2 index fingers and probed under the headliner and found them easily. Push on the clips and the whole module comes down.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

There is an easy way to remove the head liner there. Read the F1 Autohaus Light review. To sum it up you need to open the clips on the fold down mirror mounts closest to the center console and use a torx bit to unscrew the screws. Pull the screw out and the big peg on the mount and then the liner drops down. Reach your fingers under there and undo the two clips on the front closest to the windscreen. Pictures are in the DIY lighting thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I ran mine to the fuse box and didn't have to remove any parts. Just run the wire under the leading edge of the headliner then down the rubber molding of the A pillar and then into the fuse box at the back of the glove box. It was very easy to do. The V1 comes with the parts to hook it to a fuse.

Thanks, Mike.
Appreciate 0