Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
The thing I like about Google Maps is the real time traffic (data from other Google Maps users). It routes me, maybe like WayZ, around congestion all the time, and as best I can tell is pretty accurate. Maybe it helps in a city like Austin with so many geeky peeps as users.
Do we know where the iDrive nav gets its real-time traffic information from? I guess it is a third party service but I wonder if the data is from crowdsourced data.
BMW is using HERE Maps (ex NOKIA Maps, ex NAVTEQ) and together with Audi and Mercedes they own it since cca 2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #24
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Adaptive sounds like a cool feature. Do you have to have a destination programmed into the GPS to use it?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #25
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Adaptive sounds like a cool feature. Do you have to have a destination programmed into the GPS to use it?
You don't have to, but it enhances it's ability to predict upcoming roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #26
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
You don't have to, but it enhances it's ability to predict upcoming roads.
Thanks- so if your just driving around town without a destination set in the nav it does not provide the same assist?
Appreciate 1
nvsocr755.00
      01-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #27
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Thanks- so if your just driving around town without a destination set in the nav it does not provide the same assist?
It will change with your driving style, but it won't/can't predict what's coming up, so won't adjust suspension settings, etc.

With NAV on and in Adaptive, it can predict that the upcoming road you're going to drive is very windy, so it will automatically stiffen the suspension to maintain stability. It will know if you're about to take an offramp and adjust the throttle response b/c it knows/thinks you will be accelerating hard very shortly, etc.

With the NAV off, it won't do any of those things. However, if you are driving extra sporty, it will determine that and adjust the cars settings to match your particular mood at that moment.
Appreciate 1
nvsocr755.00
      01-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #28
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
It will change with your driving style, but it won't/can't predict what's coming up, so won't adjust suspension settings, etc.

With NAV on and in Adaptive, it can predict that the upcoming road you're going to drive is very windy, so it will automatically stiffen the suspension to maintain stability. It will know if you're about to take an offramp and adjust the throttle response b/c it knows/thinks you will be accelerating hard very shortly, etc.

With the NAV off, it won't do any of those things. However, if you are driving extra sporty, it will determine that and adjust the cars settings to match your particular mood at that moment.
Got it, Thanks. Could not find much searching about the feature .
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:02 AM   #29
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I'm very glad to know 'adaptive' still exists with 2VR. My SA said it didn't. How's this adaptive mode different than the one on the X7 that says 'adaptive suspension with road preview' or are they one in the same?
I stand corrected, my mistake, its 2VF = Adaptive M Suspension, and is part of the overall M-sport package, which also includes the M sport brakes (2NH).
Hi James,
Is the adaptive mode you are referring to only available because of the MSport adaptive M suspension?
Or do you know if Xline xDrive40i also have adaptive in its EDC options : eco->comfort->sport->adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:56 AM   #30
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Hi James,
Is the adaptive mode you are referring to only available because of the MSport adaptive M suspension?
Or do you know if Xline xDrive40i also have adaptive in its EDC options : eco->comfort->sport->adaptive?
Yes, the ride I get is definitely associated with the Msport Adaptive suspension, but from what I've read in other threads you get something similar (and softer) with the Air suspension.

It's a little confusing, because its all managed via the X5's Driving mode setting.

Adaptive mode is one of the standard "Drive Modes" as you have indicated: Eco > Comfort > Sport > Adaptive, and from what I understand the drive mode influences and controls the performance characteristics of the Engine, Transmission, Rear-axle diff locking, and Steering.

If your vehicle is equipped with the optional "Adaptive M Suspension" (...you get with the M-Sport package); or Air-suspension, then the Driving mode additionally controls the dampening configuration provided by the suspension. The car's manual describes the suspension dampening modes as follows:
SPORT > Firm
SPORT PLUS > Dynamically rigid.
COMFORT/ECO > Balanced.
ADAPTIVE > Balanced drive mode with a configuration that automatically adapts to the driving situation and driving style. Using the navigation system, upcoming route stages are also taken into account.

For vehicle's with X-line standard suspension, I do not believe any aspects of the suspension (including dampening) or ride comfort is controlled, but I'm not that familiar with the standard suspension - so I stand to be corrected.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 01-21-2020 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:24 AM   #31
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi James,
Yes, the ride I get is definitely associated with the Msport Adaptive suspension, but from what I've read in other threads you get something similar (and softer) with the Air suspension.

It's a little confusing, because its all managed via the X5's Driving mode setting.

Adaptive mode is one of the standard "Drive Modes" as you have indicated: Eco > Comfort > Sport > Adaptive, and from what I understand the drive mode influences and controls the performance characteristics of the Engine, Transmission, Rear-axle diff locking, and Steering.

If your vehicle is equipped with the optional "Adaptive M Suspension" (...you get with the M-Sport package); or Air-suspension, then the Driving mode additionally controls the dampening configuration provided by the suspension. The car's manual describes the suspension dampening modes as follows:
SPORT > Firm
SPORT PLUS > Dynamically rigid.
COMFORT/ECO > Balanced.
ADAPTIVE > Balanced drive mode with a configuration that automatically adapts to the driving situation and driving style. Using the navigation system, upcoming route stages are also taken into account.

For vehicle's with X-line standard suspension, I do not believe any aspects of the suspension (including dampening) or ride comfort is controlled, but I'm not that familiar with the standard suspension - so I stand to be corrected.
James. Thank you.
I am looking for staying on Xline variant in XDrive 40i but opt for air suspension over the standard.
Glad to know that adaptive EDC mode is available in Xline as well as standard.

So with non DHP or MSport features, do you know if I can configure any of these modes? Eg: configuring sports to have stiffer damper settings but rolling back everything else to be like normal/comfort. My thinking is, if air suspension is bouncing me I would shift to Sport just to get the firmness and not change the character of the vehicle when I don't want to. Is that what Sport individual mode is?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #32
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
James. Thank you.
I am looking for staying on Xline variant in XDrive 40i but opt for air suspension over the standard.

So with non DHP or MSport features, do you know if I can configure any of these modes? Eg: configuring sports to have stiffer damper settings but rolling back everything else to be like normal/comfort. My thinking is, if air suspension is bouncing me I would shift to Sport just to get the firmness and not change the character of the vehicle when I don't want to. Is that what Sport individual mode is?
Spot on, that's what "Sport Individual" mode is.

Sport Individual mode allows you to configure Suspension Dampening, Steering, Engine and Transmission.

A picture tells a 1000 words, so this is what it looks like ....

NOTE the options available for each are either "Sport" or "Comfort".
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Paladin15556.00
      01-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #33
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
James. Thank you.

Spot on, that's what "Sport Individual" mode is.

Sport Individual mode allows you to configure Suspension Dampening, Steering, Engine and Transmission.

A picture tells a 1000 words, so this is what it looks like ....

NOTE the options available for each are either "Sport" or "Comfort".
Awesome. Thanks a lot James.
Now the only thing left to do is test drive M Xdrive40i and Xline with air suspension and go from there.

Your responses were very helpful. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #34
RMAS99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 50d

Pity that on adaptive no sport exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:42 AM   #35
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks a lot James.
Now the only thing left to do is test drive M Xdrive40i and Xline with air suspension and go from there.

Your responses were very helpful. Thank you.
ive got the x40i with air and M package with 21s and it was the best choice for city driving. Comfortable and sporty on demand with auto leveling to boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #36
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Another fan of Adaptive here, I'm always on it. Muscle memory every time I get in the vehicle is to set it. Once the body controller is in BimmerCode, I'll code it, but for now, it's easy to remember.

And having put a good 12-14,000 miles of highway on the odometer, almost all of it using Driving Assist in adaptive with Nav, it's funny how accustomed you get to what the vehicle is doing for you around hills, corners, etc. It's pretty smart.

By far one of my favorite things about the X5.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #37
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
Another fan of Adaptive here, I'm always on it. Muscle memory every time I get in the vehicle is to set it. Once the body controller is in BimmerCode, I'll code it, but for now, it's easy to remember.

And having put a good 12-14,000 miles of highway on the odometer, almost all of it using Driving Assist in adaptive with Nav, it's funny how accustomed you get to what the vehicle is doing for you around hills, corners, etc. It's pretty smart.

Just a quick question - you have to be on onboard navigation right? In otherwords no Waze/Google/Apple navigation correct? to get the best of adaptive mode in anticipating the road ahead?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #38
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post

Just a quick question - you have to be on onboard navigation right? In otherwords no Waze/Google/Apple navigation correct? to get the best of adaptive mode in anticipating the road ahead?
iDrive Nav, yes. Personally preference, but it works very well in the DMV area.

Appreciate 0