02-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #243
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
If I'm not having this noise with being stock, I shouldn't have it once MSS is installed, correct?
Most likely you will.
Regardless on the lowering spring that you are using.
The main issue is with the sway bar link.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #244
Mo2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Got it. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #245
QF8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M Competition 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo2002 View Post
If I'm not having this noise with being stock, I shouldn't have it once MSS is installed, correct?
I had the noise from stock. It became more prominent after lowering.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #246
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by QF8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Seems like a lot of headaches just to lower the “wheel gap”, I guess I’m glad I actually like the stock height and the so-called “wheel gap” looks perfectly fine to me, or rather like an SUV should.
The car looks so much better lowered and the ride feels better too. Once this knock noise is sorted which i have had from new you would be mad not to lower you car.

Hats off to r33_RGSPORT and Torijona who have the mechanical know how to investigate this for all of us to benefit.
Just paying it forward. I didn't realize that I was an early adopter until recently haha. I just got back from the gym (no alignment yet) and what a difference; now I can enjoy driving it way more. I was losing my patience a bit because I downsized to only one car, this one, during the pandemic and I cannot afford having the car torn apart as I troubleshoot for root cause. I think Ben is on to something that might help everyone versus just a few. The ride and the stance are worth it in my opinion.

Now I gotta wait until there is an exhaust out there that doesn't entail selling any of my organs in the black market to pay for it. 😖
Appreciate 4
QF8221.00
HZX540e373.50
Tenac4539.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #247
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After alignment impressions

What a difference! The car feels very poised and goes wherever I want to. The most aggressive suspension mode is amazing on the highway and makes the X5M feels like a coupe. Significantly less body roll, noise diving and butt dragging.

The rear tire pulling to the outside when hitting a pothole improved significantly after alignment. It is almost not noticeable at full drop with alignment and stock bump stops in the aggressive setting. I might still try to cut the bump stop some if I can without pulling apart the suspension. Please be smart and buy shorter bump stops if you wanna go full drop.

Alignment was mostly on target. The front is off camber but that's as much as it will go. They usually sell the adjustable camber arms but they couldn't find them for this model since it is so new. So, if you are thinking about doing the suspension later on,you might replace the camber arm too so you get everything done at once.

They were impressed with the kit at the dealer. They said it looks good. All I can say is that it was all worth it at the end and I really hope you all can leverage my lessons learned so that you can sleep at night 😊
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
r33_RGSport12971.00
QF8221.00
m-prsev74.50
155ND914.50
ed41367.50
      02-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #248
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torijona View Post
What a difference! The car feels very poised and goes wherever I want to. The most aggressive suspension mode is amazing on the highway and makes the X5M feels like a coupe. Significantly less body roll, noise diving and butt dragging.

The rear tire pulling to the outside when hitting a pothole improved significantly after alignment. It is almost not noticeable at full drop with alignment and stock bump stops in the aggressive setting. I might still try to cut the bump stop some if I can without pulling apart the suspension. Please be smart and buy shorter bump stops if you wanna go full drop.

Alignment was mostly on target. The front is off camber but that's as much as it will go. They usually sell the adjustable camber arms but they couldn't find them for this model since it is so new. So, if you are thinking about doing the suspension later on,you might replace the camber arm too so you get everything done at once.

They were impressed with the kit at the dealer. They said it looks good. All I can say is that it was all worth it at the end and I really hope you all can leverage my lessons learned so that you can sleep at night 😊
Nice, glad that you got it somewhat solved and liking the suspension.

I just received the H&R today, and they do come with shorter bump stop.
In the kit didn't say whether it is for front or rear, so I called them up to find out.
And surprisingly, they said that it is for the front.
Which is weird, because based on my observation, the front still have room of travel.
Appreciate 2
QF8221.00
m-prsev74.50
      02-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #249
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:

In the kit didn't say whether it is for front or rear, so I called them up to find out.
Which is weird, because based on my observation, the front still have room of travel.
I think they are looking at the forum and playing with us to drive us crazy 🤣. Let me know how everything goes with H&R
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #250
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think they are looking at the forum and playing with us to drive us crazy 🤣. Let me know how everything goes with H&R
I will test it after I solve this sway bar link issue.
Prototype should be ready tomorrow. Then call my local customer to come in ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 11:23 PM   #251
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Just curious, are you “allowed” to do all these mods and stuff if your vehicle is leased? If so, are you supposed to return vehicle in stock condition at end of lease? Or can you mod the hell out of it and just give it back to dealer as-is?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-18-2021, 12:20 AM   #252
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:

Noob question, where do you get shorter bump stops?
Link?
      02-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #253
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:
Just curious, are you "allowed" to do all these mods and stuff if your vehicle is leased? If so, are you supposed to return vehicle in stock condition at end of lease? Or can you mod the hell out of it and just give it back to dealer as-is?
I mod and always give back as is. Just as long as it's tasteful dealers usually don't complain. Tastefully modded cars resell quickly from my experience.
r33_RGSport12971.00
ed41367.50
      02-18-2021, 10:53 AM   #254
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just curious, are you “allowed” to do all these mods and stuff if your vehicle is leased? If so, are you supposed to return vehicle in stock condition at end of lease? Or can you mod the hell out of it and just give it back to dealer as-is?
That is a good question.
All I can tell you, 99% of my customers are leasing their vehicles.
And 90% of them return the car back in stock condition. Other 9% got rid of the car before end of lease.

The other way you look at it, most drivers always drive passed the posted speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
Noob question, where do you get shorter bump stops?
Link?
I just looked at Eibach, they do have it.

Just FYI though, sitting on a bump stop is not necessarily a bad thing.
Bump stop is acting like a spring and most of the time, factory bump stop is designed with progressive rate.
So, it rides fine as long as your are not fully sitting on the bump stop, since it rates becomes higher with more load.

Here is picture of the stock bumpstop. (Not the actual bump stop on this platform, but it is similar).

Name:  Rear-Bump-Stop-BMW-F10-33536789387-eb.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  51.8 KB
Appreciate 2
ed41367.50
      02-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #255
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Quote:
I'll chime on on this as I lease my vehicles. I have never been asked to return anything to stock, but I think that is because the mods are not nasty. No crazy fender flares or anything. Some manufacturers, at least in Canada, may request that the vehicle be returned to stock for purposes of them providing extended warranty. To be safe, I keep all of my OEM parts and in the event that the request is made down the road, I am prepared with making the swap back to OEM, if need be. I would just factor the second round of labour into your purchasing decision for the modification in question.
Appreciate 4
ed41367.50
xmanpro3104.50
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #256
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Prototype just arrived.
Good thing one of my good friend also in the industry, so he can pull out parts from his stash.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
ed41367.50
m-prsev74.50
xmanpro3104.50
QF8221.00
Tenac4539.50
Alan l.5453.00
      02-18-2021, 10:11 PM   #257
Torijona
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Prototype just arrived.
Good thing one of my good friend also in the industry, so he can pull out parts from his stash.
You the MVP! Crossing my fingers for the rest.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #258
QF8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M Competition 2021

Quote:
Prototype just arrived.
Fantastic.. When will you test them?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #259
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most likely sometime next week.
Appreciate 3
ed41367.50
Tenac4539.50
QF8221.00
      02-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #260
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Prototype just arrived.
Awesome Ben!

You know where to send my set when they are ready

I suggest when you start selling these you should have them already preset so it takes out any guess work for the owners/shops that might be less experience with something like this. Locktite the treads so its a "install it and forget it" type part.

Alan
ed41367.50
QF8221.00
      02-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #261
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:
Prototype just arrived.
Awesome Ben!

You know where to send my set when they are ready

I suggest when you start selling these you should have them already preset so it takes out any guess work for the owners/shops that might be less experience with something like this. Locktite the treads so its a "install it and forget it" type part.

Alan
Yea, I'll work on the proper length too.
Appreciate 3
Tenac4539.50
ed41367.50
QF8221.00
      02-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #262
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Yea, I'll work on the proper length too.
Can't wait to hear your results. Sign me up for buyer too. I'm getting installed on Monday next week will report what they find too.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
QF8221.00
      02-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #263
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Quote:
Most likely sometime next week.
Excited to see what happens. Gonna need a set, don't need the noises coming out of the car every time I turn it!
QF8221.00
Tenac4539.50
      02-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #264
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Any updates on the fix?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00