BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
h2009
Rep
Drives: e90 coupe

Got updated to 11/2020.48 - need feedback from others.

Hi there

I’ve got an 45e X5 and I’ve had nothing but issues with mine in the UK since delivery. It’s a December 2019 build.

Anyway I just got my car back last night and from the last OTA update I’ve noticed the following:

1) under automate habits - heated steering wheel is now missing. Can anyone else confirm this has happened to them?

2) drive recorder is now greyed out and was working before. Can anyone else confirm this has happened to them?

Not enough time has passed to see if my other issues have been resolved but here is/was a list of them:
  1. Drive mode not remembering which mode it was in.
  2. Charging flap - broken / loose / didn’t open
  3. Steering wheel heating always came on when preconditioning was used
  4. Digital key card (credit card) not working
  5. Charging of car limited to 6a
  6. Drive stability issues reported
  7. Stupid active cruise control and lane keeping
  8. Auto high beams didn’t remember to “turn on” by default”
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2009 View Post
Hi there

I've got an 45e X5 and I've had nothing but issues with mine in the UK since delivery. It's a December 2019 build.

Anyway I just got my car back last night and from the last OTA update I've noticed the following:

1) under automate habits - heated steering wheel is now missing. Can anyone else confirm this has happened to them?

2) drive recorder is now greyed out and was working before. Can anyone else confirm this has happened to them?

Not enough time has passed to see if my other issues have been resolved but here is/was a list of them:
  1. Drive mode not remembering which mode it was in.
  2. Charging flap - broken / loose / didn't open
  3. Steering wheel heating always came on when preconditioning was used
  4. Digital key card (credit card) not working
  5. Charging of car limited to 6a
  6. Drive stability issues reported
  7. Stupid active cruise control and lane keeping
  8. Auto high beams didn't remember to "turn on" by default"
I also have a 45e December build. Update to 11/2020 last Tuesday.

I still have the automated steering wheel heating (and seats, windows).

Didn't test the drive recorder yet.

The 6A charging happened know and then. No big issue. Didn't happen know maybe to short time frame.

My steering wheels also heats with pre heating but I don't think this is a problem. Didn't try to turn it of.

The other issues you had I didn't. Mine sometimes from electric individual to hybrid for no reason while driving or at start up. It is not solved by the update.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
h2009
Rep

Are you based in the UK as well?

It’s strange how I can lose those functions, yet you have them still after the update. I wonder if the dealership haven’t selected something to be installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are you based in the UK as well?

It's strange how I can lose those functions, yet you have them still after the update. I wonder if the dealership haven't selected something to be installed?
No in Belgium

Did you try the 30 second idrive reset?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
h2009
Rep

I haven’t to be honest. You think it’s worth it?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t to be honest. You think it’s worth it?
Yes. Just push the volume button 30 seconds and see if it solves things. It only takes two minutes in total.

I will test test the drive recorder later. Have to go for take out dinner at 19h15.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Besides the iDrive reboot, try Updating Apps and Services.
      12-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Drive recorder worked
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
h2009
Rep

Ok so after the reboot, the drive recorder is now working; however the car still will not allow pre-heat of the steering wheel. Its like the menu option as reverted back to XX/2019 iDrive.

The good news it that at the moment the car appears to be remembering electric mode and auto-high beams (rather than having to press the button).

I did reprogram using bimmercodes, but oddly enough (which I thought would be added by now) there is no menu button for electric modes to force as default drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Ok so after the reboot, the drive recorder is now working; however the car still will not allow pre-heat of the steering wheel. Its like the menu option as reverted back to XX/2019 iDrive.

The good news it that at the moment the car appears to be remembering electric mode and auto-high beams (rather than having to press the button).

I did reprogram using bimmercodes, but oddly enough (which I thought would be added by now) there is no menu button for electric modes to force as default drive mode.
I'm in the U.K. and on 11/2020.42- the steering wheel heating rule is not available in the automation app/settings.

I have coding for all seats and wheel so it's still working for me, but without the coding it wouldn't be available.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:

I'm in the U.K. and on 11/2020.42- the steering wheel heating rule is not available in the automation app/settings.

I have coding for all seats and wheel so it's still working for me, but without the coding it wouldn't be available.
Strange, I still do have it without coding also 11/2020.42. Maybe a local UK thing? I have it in the automation app and also in the idrive menu.

Setting electric individual as default at start is also still available. I have this since I had my car 12/2019 with idrive 07/2019. Or is this not what you ment.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Strange, I still do have it without coding also 11/2020.42. Maybe a local UK thing? I have it in the automation app and also in the idrive menu.

Setting electric individual as default at start is also still available. I have this since I had my car 12/2019 with idrive 07/2019. Or is this not what you ment.
Wheel heating disappeared very recently. Not sure exactly when.

I wasn't commenting on electric individual, whatever that is
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wheel heating disappeared very recently. Not sure exactly when.

I wasn't commenting on electric individual, whatever that is
I know. You don't have that. I think OP was asking he does have a 45e.

Electric individual is an personalized electric drive mode. And it can be set as default at start up.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

This is what I have with 11/2020.42 with coding
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 02:20 AM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
This is what I have with 11/2020.42 with coding
Had to check it this morning and off course it is gone in my car too.

I checked the automated app Wednesday after the update because it switched off the automatic windows. The waypoints where stored I just had to activate the function again. The seat and steering wheel options where there.

Any idea when the steering wheel option disappeared? I have a feeling this was later than the update. Could it have been an ota of the app it self?

Steering wheel heating is still activated with pre heating.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 03:36 AM   #16
h2009
Rep

So from what I under we have 3 people with steering wheel heating habits and 2 people without.

I thought the idea of the code was to be uniform? It would seem the dealers are able to turn things on/off in the settings if they wish.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 03:40 AM   #17
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I checked the automated app Wednesday after the update because it switched off the automatic windows. The waypoints where stored I just had to activate the function again. The seat and steering wheel options where there.

Any idea when the steering wheel option disappeared? I have a feeling this was later than the update. Could it have been an ota of the app it self?

Probably an app change, as the coding seems to relate only to those settings in the other menu that I posted a screenshot of.

The coding for CD apps tends to just be on/off, like R360, DriveRecorder, etc. Then again some of these apps seem like they are just front-end's to i-drive settings so who knows what the strategy is. Might not even be one
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #18
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Probably an app change, as the coding seems to relate only to those settings in the other menu that I posted a screenshot of.

The coding for CD apps tends to just be on/off, like R360, DriveRecorder, etc. Then again some of these apps seem like they are just front-end's to i-drive settings so who knows what the strategy is. Might not even be one
Same thing here in the 07/2020 thread. So probably an app thing indeed. But why??
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 06:57 AM   #19
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Same thing here in the 07/2020 thread. So probably an app thing indeed. But why??
Either a bug or by design.

By design - maybe enabling the heated wheel automation leads to increased usage and premature failure? Just speculating, as it's a good feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #20
Dex05
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 - White/Beige

I just got mine updated to 11/2020.42 and heated steering wheel is now missing form both Climate Rule and Automated Habit.

I'm in Canada and never coded my car.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex05 View Post
I just got mine updated to 11/2020.42 and heated steering wheel is now missing form both Climate Rule and Automated Habit.
I've never seen this "Automate/Automated Habit" on my US X7.

Leave it to BMW. Many were complaining about the steering wheel heating activating on remote start regardless of the outside temperature or what was set in "Climate Control Rules". So what does BMW do to fix the issue? They freaking remove the option all together! Problem Solved!!!

These BMW engineers and programmers are missing some screws somewhere. Problem with a feature on your vehicle? No problem! We'll just remove that feature and the problem is gone! SHAZAM!!! Just like that and the problem is fixed!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 12:19 AM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex05 View Post
I've never seen this "Automate/Automated Habit" on my US X7.

Leave it to BMW. Many were complaining about the steering wheel heating activating on remote start regardless of the outside temperature or what was set in "Climate Control Rules". So what does BMW do to fix the issue? They freaking remove the option all together! Problem Solved!!!

These BMW engineers and programmers are missing some screws somewhere. Problem with a feature on your vehicle? No problem! We'll just remove that feature and the problem is gone! SHAZAM!!! Just like that and the problem is fixed!
It isn't. It still heats with pre heating the car. Just not able to set an automated action anymore like with seat heating.

Haven't been able to test in warm temperatures. But with pre-cooling last summer it didn't heat when pre-cooling my 45e.
Appreciate 0