BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2024, 01:12 AM   #1
AndrewG25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Brand new X5 requires $1500 wheel replacement out of warranty

I took my 50e in with barely 1000 miles on it because of the check engine light and the road noise from the tires which is a known issue from many posts here https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2011745 is one of them.

They said they found the wheel 'out of round' and that it was bent and that it 'needs replacement before anything else is determined' - the cost is $1500 and it is not covered under warranty....

I barely drove this car, driven very lightly, never hit anything, completely normal usage, how does a wheel or rim bend from normal usage? Is the car that sensitive or fragile? I thought BMW's were quality builds?

They are saying the road noise is due to this out of round tire, and they will not move forward with the dampener fix that was mentioned in the other threads.

The dealer did not let me test drive this on the highway, we did a low speed test drive around the block, the noise is only on highway speeds. I noticed the noise immediately on the highway drive home from the dealer. So does this mean they sold me a defective vehicle? There is no way I can prove this, they can just say I hit something and refuse to cover it under warranty? I think it's absurd to spend $93k on a car and then right away get hit with $1500 bill for a defect (Plus the CEL already).

Any idea what I can do here?

This is the inspection video they sent me of the bent wheel:
Appreciate 2
eluded3044.50
JMD637.00
      03-02-2024, 06:24 AM   #2
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMWX5 M60i / Audi S6 V8TT

It does show that it variates, that is a defective wheel.

Being so new, and if there are no signs of any impact, you can escalate the case as a manufacturing defect.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 08:33 AM   #3
rainmn60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [10.00]
As long as there is no visible damage that can be tied back to you, I would contact BMW N.A. customer service and they will chase this for you, assuming you already allowed the service manager to escalate. (800) 831-1117.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      03-02-2024, 08:37 AM   #4
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Same thing happened to me on an m550 I had. My windshield cracked and I brought it in after like 600 miles and they told me I had 2 bent wheels. They luckily could “fix” them without replacing bust still cost me like 500. I absolutely hit nothing. Not even a single pot hole. I came the conclusion since the dealer had the car for a bit (65 miles) that some jackass must have done it during a test drive. Felt there wasn’t much I could do and just moved on.
In this case tho, at 1500, I would most certainly escalate. It’s a shame they don’t do more checks during vehicle delivery prep.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      03-02-2024, 09:05 AM   #5
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

I never take delivery of a vehicle without first driving it on a freeway @ 80 mph as well as on local streets
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 2
RNorb230.00
X3_Alaska142.00
      03-02-2024, 09:46 AM   #6
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Have you ruled out an out of round tire?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 10:12 AM   #7
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

If you end up getting screwed, definitely shop that wheel... $1500 is ridiculous. You can get a set of HRE Flow forms for under $3k, just for reference.

Last edited by avi8tir; 03-02-2024 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 10:49 AM   #8
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I actually don’t know what to make out of that video. Camera position moving, the wheel balance is there. If the wheel is really bend, this is not a good indicator at all.

What wheel is that? 741? 740?
      03-02-2024, 06:06 PM   #9
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

You should talk to the sales manager and the service manager and tell them this needs to be on warranty and if it isn't you will A. take your business elsewhere going forward B. tell everyone with ears to take their business elsewhere and C. complain to BMW.
Appreciate 2
radmjk240.50
Cityman181.00
      03-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #10
GrandMasterKhan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Evo9, '22 X3Mc, Turbo S2000
Location: BMW Southpoint, Durham NC. Dinan/Carbahn authorized Dealer.

I hate to say it: but wheels don’t bend themselves.

Unfortunately either you, or someone in your family hit a pothole, rail road track or something hard enough to bend a wheel. Your probably thinking. Surely that one bump wasn’t THAT bad.

You are asking the dealer to pay for your areas poor road conditions and/or obliviousness to going over something.

Additionally. I would bet this noise didn’t happen right away. One day you started to notice it. Well the day before is likely when the “event” happened.

Your insurance will help pay for the wheel if you tell them what happened.

But honestly. That bend can likely be repaired by their on-site wheel repair company. I fix stuff like that all the time. And it is usually cheap
Appreciate 2
vjmvjm15.00
tooloud10766.50
      03-03-2024, 11:43 AM   #11
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan View Post
I hate to say it: but wheels don’t bend themselves.

Unfortunately either you, or someone in your family hit a pothole, rail road track or something hard enough to bend a wheel. Your probably thinking. Surely that one bump wasn’t THAT bad.

You are asking the dealer to pay for your areas poor road conditions and/or obliviousness to going over something.

Additionally. I would bet this noise didn’t happen right away. One day you started to notice it. Well the day before is likely when the “event” happened.

Your insurance will help pay for the wheel if you tell them what happened.

But honestly. That bend can likely be repaired by their on-site wheel repair company. I fix stuff like that all the time. And it is usually cheap
Way to assume the OP is lying… which is presumptuous and non productive..

OP said they brought the car for CEL and KNOWN tire noise. Could have easily been since day 1 - accepting it bc they thought it was a known defect…. OP also said they hit nothing… It’s only when another issue came up did they think to check on the tire issue from day 1…

maybe it’s hard for you to believe there are actually honest people in this world….usually people like yourselves who make claims like this is bc that’s how you would behave…
Appreciate 3
      03-03-2024, 01:24 PM   #12
AndrewG25
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all for the recommendations, I will call the dealer again tomorrow and see if I can escalate this, especially since they did not find any evidence of impact damage. I definitely treated this car like a baby and have been very gentle with it, nobody else has driven it, but it did have about 10 city miles (they don't allow test drives on the highway) on it before I bought it so who knows - I thought it was a red flag that they didn't push for any of the additional services except the wheel protection which they pushed really hard and I declined. The dealer also doesn't have good reviews and I even saw a couple mentions of this exact scenario. Another red flag is they couldn't give me the car's window sticker when I asked for it twice, they just gave me a regular printout, which I later found it is illegal in California.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:14 PM   #13
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

My X6 has 22"s. I hit a pot hole blew out the rear tire and bent the front rim. The dealer gave me a new tire at no cost and my tire and wheel insurance coverage gave me a new front wheel. Good luck with 'your' dealer
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 1
pgrtag62.50
      03-03-2024, 11:52 PM   #14
vjmvjm
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Way to assume the OP is lying… which is presumptuous and non productive..

OP said they brought the car for CEL and KNOWN tire noise. Could have easily been since day 1 - accepting it bc they thought it was a known defect…. OP also said they hit nothing… It’s only when another issue came up did they think to check on the tire issue from day 1…

maybe it’s hard for you to believe there are actually honest people in this world….usually people like yourselves who make claims like this is bc that’s how you would behave…
So what evidence do you have to support your conclusions? Your post is presumptuous and non productive ...
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      03-04-2024, 05:30 AM   #15
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmvjm View Post
So what evidence do you have to support your conclusions? Your post is presumptuous and non productive ...
If you can’t see the difference than I cannot help you, but I will try..

Believing the only source of possible factual information that we have on what happened while driving the car in the OPs possession (that factual source is the OP in case you don’t understand me) - is very different than accusing them lying and taking money out of someone else’s pocket by using these lies to get the dealer to pay for their mistakes…

The correct way to post this alternate scenario is to ask questions. We all should ask questions when we don’t know something… how about saying are you sure it can’t be your fault…. We often hit things and don’t remember or think it wasn’t sooo bad. Maybe there’s a chance of this and you should just move on??

Amazing how these forums turn into classes about how to behave around others in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 06:58 AM   #16
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Lordy, sometimes I debate hard and long about Tire/Wheel warranties, and then I read posts like this one. I ended up buying the warranty and within 4 months I already had to replace a tire due to a nail. And I anticipate more nails in my future, the roads around here suck big time....
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2024, 08:14 AM   #17
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Lordy, sometimes I debate hard and long about Tire/Wheel warranties, and then I read posts like this one. I ended up buying the warranty and within 4 months I already had to replace a tire due to a nail. And I anticipate more nails in my future, the roads around here suck big time....
On the other hand, I've bought 10 new BMWs in 20 years and have never damaged or had to replace a wheel. I've replaced tires due to normal wear and have had tires repaired a couple of times. I figure I've saved thousands of dollars by not buying wheel and tire insurance.
X6ix GTA142.00
Cityman181.00
CGG171.50
      03-04-2024, 12:45 PM   #18
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

I don't think it's about calling the OP a liar as much as it's about asking yourself what's more likely?

1) A basic part like a wheel makes it through the wheel manufacturer's QC process, where it goes to the BMW plant, makes it through BMW's QC process, passes the test drive, gets delivered to a dealer and customer, and nobody notices the problem.

2) Someone driving the car in its short life hit a pothole hard enough to bend a wheel but assumed that it wasn't a big deal, and then sometime later realize there's a problem.
      03-04-2024, 06:44 PM   #19
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I don't think it's about calling the OP a liar as much as it's about asking yourself what's more likely?

1) A basic part like a wheel makes it through the wheel manufacturer's QC process, where it goes to the BMW plant, makes it through BMW's QC process, passes the test drive, gets delivered to a dealer and customer, and nobody notices the problem.

2) Someone driving the car in its short life hit a pothole hard enough to bend a wheel but assumed that it wasn't a big deal, and then sometime later realize there's a problem.
Certainly hear what you are saying. Although my counter would be that someone test driving in an area they don’t know with a car they don’t own is more likely to hit an unexpected pot hole than a new owner babying their brand new baby over the first 1000 miles…

But again I hear you. I took more issue with the poster then accusing the OP of asking the dealer to pay for their mistakes / through these lies. Thats casting a different tone on a potential innocent oversight of the OP while driving..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:19 AM   #20
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Agreed but you have a lot of faith in BMW NA builds. Me, not so much. I had two issues related to the build from SC. Luckily, they were both fixed by the dealer and it was obvious it was related to the build. BOTH issues should have been caught in "quality control."

Paint defects, at least 6 on the SC build vs one from Germany build. SC does not have the same quality controls or maybe BMW just does not build them like they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post

Appreciate 1
Mattl0806987.50
      03-05-2024, 10:00 AM   #21
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Agreed but you have a lot of faith in BMW NA builds. Me, not so much. I had two issues related to the build from SC. Luckily, they were both fixed by the dealer and it was obvious it was related to the build. BOTH issues should have been caught in "quality control."

Paint defects, at least 6 on the SC build vs one from Germany build. SC does not have the same quality controls or maybe BMW just does not build them like they used to.
How were your paint defects fixed? I am finding dirt in the paint on my new car. I am concerned that if they repaint a fender and get a PERFECT match today that in a year or two the new paint will fade differently than the original paint. I have seen that happen more often than not.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:38 PM   #22
AndrewG25
Enlisted Member
Rep

Case is open with BMA NA - they said they just go based on whatever the technician at the dealer says. Which they said it's not a warranty concern because 'It does not ship from the factory like that' so therefore it must be that I hit something. I agree that the likelihood of a manufacturing defect is slim, it seems more likely something happened during or after delivery. Still waiting for a callback from the dealer that sold it to me (it's different than the servicing dealer).
Appreciate 0