BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2024, 03:43 AM   #23
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

They will defiantly continue to change their rate structure with the CA PUC rubber stamping their rate increase requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
.....I should break even in 4 years or so if pge don’t change rate structure.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:54 AM   #24
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
They will defiantly continue to change their rate structure with the CA PUC rubber stamping their rate increase requests.
Rate increase doesn’t affect nem2 users. My worst nightmare is those income base flat rate structures that is being proposed. Under that structure, I will pay $100-month even if I consume net zero from pge. Entirely defeat PV system from cost perspective. And I will never break even.
      03-16-2024, 01:51 PM   #25
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Rate increase doesn’t affect nem2 users. My worst nightmare is those income base flat rate structures that is being proposed. Under that structure, I will pay $100-month even if I consume net zero from pge. Entirely defeat PV system from cost perspective. And I will never break even.
I think it does make sense to have an access fee monthly. Just because you're offsetting your use sometimes with solar or whatever, you're not off the grid so you should pay for the grid.

I also think it's reasonable to not pay for power put into the grid without meeting a minimum. The ability to use a large battery like an EV or similar to charge at night and then sell back power at a higher rate during the day needs to be curtailed or it will be abused. Frankly, I think there shouldn't be different rates for day and night, while I get that peak demand occurs during the day, the infrastructure has to be in place and paid for to support peak demand, so paying a lower rate at off hours doesn't make a lot of sense for the business.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 01:57 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
. Frankly, I think there shouldn't be different rates for day and night, while I get that peak demand occurs during the day, the infrastructure has to be in place and paid for to support peak demand, so paying a lower rate at off hours doesn't make a lot of sense for the business.
They need to have different rates because without them there would be no incentive to curtail usage during peak periods. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand in many situations which results in brown/black outs.
      03-16-2024, 02:01 PM   #27
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I think it does make sense to have an access fee monthly. Just because you're offsetting your use sometimes with solar or whatever, you're not off the grid so you should pay for the grid.

I also think it's reasonable to not pay for power put into the grid without meeting a minimum. The ability to use a large battery like an EV or similar to charge at night and then sell back power at a higher rate during the day needs to be curtailed or it will be abused. Frankly, I think there shouldn't be different rates for day and night, while I get that peak demand occurs during the day, the infrastructure has to be in place and paid for to support peak demand, so paying a lower rate at off hours doesn't make a lot of sense for the business.
You are completely mistaken the rules. We are paying for interconnection fee now, maybe $20 or so just for being connected. Just it is not $100. And It is the rule for nem2. People sign up for solar because of the contract. If they can change the contract freely after the fact, it’s just not fair. Can I refund my PV? Right?

As to people charge at night and sell back in day time, pge isn’t dumb. If you look at how their rate is structured now, most of the day time rate is off peak low rate. Yo until about 4pm, where solar generation already comes down, but house hold usage start to increases. PV owner really only sell back at off peak rate then consume at peak.

And just one more rule for pge customer. We are not allowed to go off grid as long as pge has service to the location. So it is not even like we have a choice.

Nem2 is also gone. It is for the first 10-15% residential PV adopters. It is a way to attack people to never 10s thousands into PV. Since April of 2023, it is nem3, newer PV owners don’t even get sell back to the grid at retail anymore. The upload rate is about $0.08/kWh, compare to what $0.60+ /kWh for off peak draw.

So please sink that in before making a assumption for California residents.

For reference, pge 2023 profit is $2.2B, 25% increase YoY.
      03-16-2024, 02:22 PM   #28
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
They need to have different rates because without them there would be no incentive to curtail usage during peak periods. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand in many situations which results in brown/black outs.
Adding to this. I think the peak rate was originally created to prevent summer afternoons peak usage (businesses + residential). They want residents to minimal usage at that window. Peak rate remain until 9pm-12am, this part, I think pge purposes want to charge high rate for non avoidable household usage.

Before EV adoption, PV is actually help pge in the afternoon because residential PV is supplying power to businesses as well. So whatever rate we get for upload, businesses consume it at similar grade of rste as well, help generation and deli every. These days, as EV in Cali become more popular, the night time demand is actually quite high and it is also where all the PV isn’t helping. Imagine 50% of household pulling 40A all starting at midnight. So I can see in near future pge will change rate window again to take this into consideration, or they will push battery into residential to help with this, or promote EV charging before noon to consume PV generation. ..