BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2022, 07:42 AM   #1
emaniat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2022 G05 X5 with the factory towing package. It includes the 4 and 7 pin connections. I am wanting to install a backup light in the tow hitch receiver specifically for more light backing up at night or at night when it rains. My back up screen in the car is horrendous and not safe (you can barely see anything beyond 3-4 feet). Both backup lights work but are so small they don't illuminate anything. I've tried brightening all settings and switches in the car to no avail. I've had 3 and 7 series loaners and x2 loaners that have better night visibility. I tried a usb light shining on my pod screen (light sensor for dash) but still doesn't fix. I bought a light that was supposedly plug and play from specialty performance parts. It's a 7 pin 2 wire setup. My dealer wasn't able to get it running on my car but everything checks out ok on my X5. The techs plugged it in to a gmc and ford pickup and it worked as it should. The seven pin connector on my X5 looks like a standard wiring set up but I don't know why it's not working. Any insight would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #2
jBwFellow
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e, '15 Audi S3

Sorry I can't offer any help but I've been looking to solve that same problem with the car so please keep us updated.
I've just ordered one of their kits too and will report my results in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBwFellow View Post
Sorry I can't offer any help but I've been looking to solve that same problem with the car so please keep us updated.
I've just ordered one of their kits too and will report my results in a few weeks.
Ok. I was looking at the light and it's wiring harness. It has a wire going to reverse and to ground = when plugged in no light. Switched ground to power and left reverse wire connected = no light. Put everything back to original on the harness (reverse and ground back to original wiring) then connected the bare test wire to the harness. Put one wire to power and one wire to ground and had constant light on in and not in trailer mode. So would one think in order for this light to work correctly you need a ground wire, a power lead wire and the reverse trigger wire for everything to work as it should? The Chevy and Ford didn't require both to work but looks like bmw might?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Is the backup lamp LED?

Is the backup lamp LED or incandescent? If incandescent you might get a LED replacement. I changed the rear turn signals (from incandescent to LED) on my former Subaru and they were much brighter.
Not sure if this can help.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I2P View Post
Is the backup lamp LED or incandescent? If incandescent you might get a LED replacement. I changed the rear turn signals (from incandescent to LED) on my former Subaru and they were much brighter.
Not sure if this can help.
They are led. Think it's a sealed unit. Yes I had done the led backup light update to 2 of my past cars and it did make a big difference. The X5's backup lights are really small compared to other lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 02:19 PM   #6
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
The 'reverse' wire should be the center pin on the 7-pin connector. It should have 12V on it when the car in reverse. The ground is the return path.

Since your lamp is an LED, you may be running afoul of BMW's fault monitoring. Like other lamps, it monitors for impedance and current draw on the circuit. The problem with trailers is that BMW doesn't know whether it has incandescent or LED bulbs. If it detects a "fault" it will turn off the circuit to prevent any damage.

One way to check is to do an OBD scan to see if it throws any fault codes. On my F15, it would show an "open circuit" do to the high impedance and minimal current. Some trailers with LEDs will work because they have multiple lamps in parallel that lowers the impedance and raises the current into the proper range.

The solution is to add load resistors to the trailer-side harness. There are solutions and quite a discussion on etrailer.com about it. It is apparently an issue with Audi and Mercedes vehicles as well.

Gerry
emaniat22.50
      09-12-2022, 08:48 PM   #7
jBwFellow
Private
Rep

Will using the 7 pin connector like this make the car switch into trailer mode with negative consequences when we're just trying to add a better backup light?
Appreciate 1
emaniat22.50
      09-14-2022, 08:39 AM   #8
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
The 'reverse' wire should be the center pin on the 7-pin connector. It should have 12V on it when the car in reverse. The ground is the return path.

Since your lamp is an LED, you may be running afoul of BMW's fault monitoring. Like other lamps, it monitors for impedance and current draw on the circuit. The problem with trailers is that BMW doesn't know whether it has incandescent or LED bulbs. If it detects a "fault" it will turn off the circuit to prevent any damage.

One way to check is to do an OBD scan to see if it throws any fault codes. On my F15, it would show an "open circuit" do to the high impedance and minimal current. Some trailers with LEDs will work because they have multiple lamps in parallel that lowers the impedance and raises the current into the proper range.

The solution is to add load resistors to the trailer-side harness. There are solutions and quite a discussion on etrailer.com about it. It is apparently an issue with Audi and Mercedes vehicles as well.

Gerry
Makes sense. I'll look around to see if I can find the adapter that has the bypass setup for the led lights.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Will using the 7 pin connector like this make the car switch into trailer mode with negative consequences when we're just trying to add a better backup light?
Don't know. That's phase 2 of testing if I get through phase 1.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 10:05 PM   #10
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know. It might. It depends on what circuit the SW is monitoring to enable trailer mode. Since 4-wire is an option, I would avoid the tail/turn light circuits. Since the backup signal is optional on the 7-wire, it may not be part of the trailer mode logic.

If the backup light is the only circuit you connect, you may be good.

I also haven't looked into whether you can disable trailer mode in iDrive with a trailer connected. From reading the manual, I suspect not.

Good luck.

Gerry
      09-19-2022, 07:59 AM   #11
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know. It might. It depends on what circuit the SW is monitoring to enable trailer mode. Since 4-wire is an option, I would avoid the tail/turn light circuits. Since the backup signal is optional on the 7-wire, it may not be part of the trailer mode logic.

I also haven't looked into whether you can disable trailer mode in iDrive with a trailer connected. From reading the manual, I suspect not.

Good luck.

Gerry
You might be able to disable trailer mode with bimmercode. I ordered an adapter that has a load for the Germain cars that have trailers with led lighting. It's on back order so waiting and hopefully it'll work.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #12
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
No. It will not. You have to manually turn on trailer mode in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #13
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:

Good luck.

Gerry

I got a single wire incandescant light. Hooked it up. I had the light's power wire going to the harness' center reverse pin. Didn't work. Then I added a ground wire from the light's bracket to the ground wire on the harness. Didn't work. Then I added a ground wire to the 2 twisted ground wires then ran it to the chassis. I put the car in reverse (while in trailer mode) and it worked. I went back and tightened up the wires and it stopped working. Tested the light again with wires straight to the connector (ground and power) and the light turned on so I know the light and the 7 pin hitch are still working. Hooked the light back up and it won't work now. I don't know what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #14
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaniat View Post
I got a single wire incandescant light. Hooked it up. I had the light's power wire going to the harness' center reverse pin. Didn't work. Then I added a ground wire from the light's bracket to the ground wire on the harness. Didn't work. Then I added a ground wire to the 2 twisted ground wires then ran it to the chassis. I put the car in reverse (while in trailer mode) and it worked. I went back and tightened up the wires and it stopped working. Tested the light again with wires straight to the connector (ground and power) and the light turned on so I know the light and the 7 pin hitch are still working. Hooked the light back up and it won't work now. I don't know what's going on.
Something strange is going on, but I don't have a clue.

Gerry
      09-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #15
emaniat
Private
Rep

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Frustrating as heck. Wouldn't bother me if the regular backup lights were larger and brighter. Night is bad, but not that bad, night and rain is horrendous. Doesn't help that the camera is exposed to the rain and not sheltered.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 06:45 AM   #16
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Frustrating as heck. Wouldn't bother me if the regular backup lights were larger and brighter. Night is bad, but not that bad, night and rain is horrendous. Doesn't help that the camera is exposed to the rain and not sheltered.
Have you adjusted the camera brightness and contrast. Still not great, but it helps a bit.
      09-28-2022, 12:11 AM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Out of curiosity, which light did you order? Many of the ones I was looking at weren't only a backup light but also a third red running/brake light which is what I don't want.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #18
jBwFellow
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Out of curiosity, which light did you order? Many of the ones I was looking at weren't only a backup light but also a third red running/brake light which is what I don't want.
This is the one I ordered, haven't tried it yet and expectations are low based on emaniat experience

https://specialtyperformanceparts.co...371f3eae&_ss=r
Appreciate 1
P111566.00
      10-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #19
NateM50i
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
This is the one I ordered, haven't tried it yet and expectations are low based on emaniat experience

https://specialtyperformanceparts.co...371f3eae&_ss=r
Let us know how you like it. Baja Designs make awesome stuff! BMW backup lights are more form over function.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 12:55 PM   #20
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
Quote:
Have you adjusted the camera brightness and contrast. Still not great, but it helps a bit.
Yes
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #21
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://specialtyperformanceparts.co...3eae&_ss=r
I got the lesser expensive one. Person working there has been extremely helpful in helping with troubleshooting, but unfortunately I don't have lots of
Time to try various things. I bout another 20
Buck light off of Amazon and the thing works when backing up but throws codes when using turn signals and light then hyper flash
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 01:00 PM   #22
emaniat
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's a single light. No red light. Just a white flood light made by Rigid.
Appreciate 0