BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-03-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None at moment

BimmerTech Amp for HiFi X5

Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger and wanted to see what the experiences were with others due to the high cost of $1349. I would be planning to keep the HiFi speakers in and just replace the AMP. Is the expense and installation effort worthwhile?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 10:07 PM   #2
AAA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brerpie View Post
Hi All,

I'm about to pull the trigger and wanted to see what the experiences were with others due to the high cost of $1349. I would be planning to keep the HiFi speakers in and just replace the AMP. Is the expense and installation effort worthwhile?

Thanks.
I just installed the Bimmertech amp in my G05 with hifi. Whether it's worthwhile is subjective. For me it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. If you think the stock hifi kinda sucks then you will likely be happy with the Bimmertech upgrade. In terms of install commitment you'll read anywhere from 15 min to few hours commitment according to what others are reporting. Im embarrassed to report it took me closer to 5 hours including getting the DSP all set up and connected to my laptop. The harnesses connections are super easy. I really struggled mounting the bracket. I enjoy the process so it didn't really bother me.
Appreciate 2
Dnap7513.50
russell21147.00
      09-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #3
clarkcrandall
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA View Post
I just installed the Bimmertech amp in my G05 with hifi. Whether it's worthwhile is subjective. For me it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade. If you think the stock hifi kinda sucks then you will likely be happy with the Bimmertech upgrade. In terms of install commitment you'll read anywhere from 15 min to few hours commitment according to what others are reporting. Im embarrassed to report it took me closer to 5 hours including getting the DSP all set up and connected to my laptop. The harnesses connections are super easy. I really struggled mounting the bracket. I enjoy the process so it didn't really bother me.
brerpie,
would you be willing to send me a copy of your .apf file? I have the G05 hifi also, and waiting on the PP86DSP to arrive. It would save me hours I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
gfeiner97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkcrandall View Post
brerpie,
would you be willing to send me a copy of your .apf file? I have the G05 hifi also, and waiting on the PP86DSP to arrive. It would save me hours I'm sure.
you mean AAA
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #5
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi All,

I received the amp today and it doesn't match the BimmerTech video at all. I think it's because it's a newer version of the amp.

However, I think I have it as it makes sense.

The only questions I have are concerning the two cables. I have a remote in/out as well as an SCP cable. These are not covered in the instructions at all. Do I need these?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 09:34 PM   #6
gfeiner97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X540i

Quote:
Hi All,

I received the amp today and it doesn't match the BimmerTech video at all. I think it's because it's a newer version of the amp.

However, I think I have it as it makes sense.

The only questions I have are concerning the two cables. I have a remote in/out as well as an SCP cable. These are not covered in the instructions at all. Do I need these?

Thanks.
yeah their video hasn't been updated for the new amp. I did not use those cables when I connected the amp.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

I spoke with BT and they confirmed that they are for a sub and also future use. They are not needed for the base installation.

AMP is installed and the difference is quite significant. Now, I'm curious on how much better it would get with speaker swaps
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 06:08 PM   #8
Dnap75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks.
What did you do with the ram module when putting the backer bolts back in
Did you line up both brackets , or is the ram module bracket just floating back there
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 06:18 PM   #9
AAA
Private
Rep

You need to line up the RAM bracket with the new amp bracket. The bolts will hold both in place and you do want to line up on all of the holes otherwise it will rattle around and you will notice (ask me how I know).
Appreciate 2
Dnap7513.50
russell21147.00
      09-30-2022, 07:09 PM   #10
Dnap75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You need to line up the RAM bracket with the new amp bracket. The bolts will hold both in place and you do want to line up on all of the holes otherwise it will rattle around and you will notice (ask me how I know).
Thank you I appreciate it greatly! it didn't take very long to connect. it sounds very good definitely an improvement. it got dark outside, so I just have it hanging out in the back of the truck in my garage.
tomorrow morning we will give it a go wish me the best lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #11
AAA
Private
Rep

Don't be afraid to bend the bracket a bit in order to get it to line up with the holes. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 07:57 PM   #12
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah as mentioned, definitely align all the holes. Everything should be solid with no flex at all once all the screws are in.

It's a quality look/feel install with the custom bracket.

What are you guys doing in terms of your setup? AMP only or have you done speakers also?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 08:50 PM   #13
AAA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah as mentioned, definitely align all the holes. Everything should be solid with no flex at all once all the screws are in.

What are you guys doing in terms of your setup? AMP only or have you done speakers also?
I only have the amp with the hi fi speakers and it's definitely a big improvement. I will probably upgrade the mids and tweeters to Focals. Now that I bit the bullet on the amp I feel compelled to spend a little extra to take things to the next level.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:45 PM   #14
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Did you end up tuning or did you just take the stock tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #15
AAA
Private
Rep

I had Bimmertech send me a few tunes. Someday when I get the time I'll try to figure out my own tune. You?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #16
Dnap75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

We are exactly 1 hour in , 2 bolts back in. The bottom and far back one. The top two are insane to see and reach. Omg I didn't sleep last night thinking this was a huge mistake.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 08:43 AM   #17
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I had Bimmertech send me a few tunes. Someday when I get the time I'll try to figure out my own tune. You?
I'm still running whatever shipped with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 08:47 AM   #18
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnap75 View Post
We are exactly 1 hour in , 2 bolts back in. The bottom and far back one. The top two are insane to see and reach. Omg I didn't sleep last night thinking this was a huge mistake.
Stick to it... you will get it! I was struggling as well and I finally got it. It took about 70 minutes from start to finish.

Make sure that you only finger tightened the two you already have in. This will ensure that the bracket can still move so that it can align correctly at all points.

I found that wearing a nitrile glove helped. I didn't have to worry about beating my hand up and it gave me much better finger grip on the screws.
Appreciate 1
Dnap7513.50
      10-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #19
AAA
Private
Rep

Yes, stick with it. If you get frustrated walk away and come back later. You should be fine driving around locally with only two bolts in place if needed.

Don't tighten the bolts all the way until the end because you need a little wiggle room. You might also consider removing one of the bolts you already have in place to allow getting one of the other bolts in place. Another tip is to change up how your body is positioned when reaching in there. You may find that standing works better than kneeling on the tailgate or vice versa or maybe using your left hand.
Appreciate 1
Dnap7513.50
      10-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #20
Dnap75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, stick with it. If you get frustrated walk away and come back later. You should be fine driving around locally with only two bolts in place if needed.

Don't tighten the bolts all the way until the end because you need a little wiggle room. You might also consider removing one of the bolts you already have in place to allow getting one of the other bolts in place. Another tip is to change up how your body is positioned when reaching in there. You may find that standing works better than kneeling on the tailgate or vice versa or maybe using your left hand.
You guys are awesome I thank you so much. We got all but 1 top bolt back in and I am very happy.
It was a cool morning in ft Lauderdale but it got hot quick. I will see how it goes I don't think there should be any rattle it was all very tight.
We have another 2023 X5 so same radio station on in both cars it's a huge difference

Just lacks the surround feel of our 2021 X5 that had the HK.
Thank you all so much for keeping me sane through this.
Appreciate 1
russell21147.00
      10-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #21
brerpie
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnap75 View Post
You guys are awesome I thank you so much. We got all but 1 top bolt back in and I am very happy.
It was a cool morning in ft Lauderdale but it got hot quick. I will see how it goes I don't think there should be any rattle it was all very tight.
We have another 2023 X5 so same radio station on in both cars it's a huge difference

Just lacks the surround feel of our 2021 X5 that had the HK.
Thank you all so much for keeping me sane through this.
Glad you got it! The surround experience is exactly what I'm after as well. I wonder if that can be helped with a tune, if it requires new speakers, or if there simply aren't enough speakers with HiFi to accomplish that. Any thoughts on that?
Appreciate 1
Greg87611.00
      10-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #22
Greg876
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
2022 bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad you got it! The surround experience is exactly what I'm after as well. I wonder if that can be helped with a tune, if it requires new speakers, or if there simply aren't enough speakers with HiFi to accomplish that. Any thoughts on that?
My thoughts are the same I have the bimmertech amp and speakers but it lacks the surround experience. I'm sure with a good tune it's possible. Do you know if anyone was able to achieve this?
Appreciate 0