BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-28-2021, 10:14 PM   #89
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

At last count at least 3 or 4 forum members have dropped their orders. I know dealers won't be hurting as they will have no problems selling a MSRP car to walk-ups. But it's not about selling to today's walk-ups. It's about souring a relationship for a future sale, and frankly speaking, those who pre-orders are more likely repeat customers.

My thoughts: the $500 discount for a standard feature is too low. Presumably as with all past ID models, touch screen should be retrofitable in the future. But costs of retrofit typically is $1000-$2000 range.

IMO, BMW can make this right and save some customer relationships by offering a free retrofit in the future. That would have cured the issue for me

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-28-2021 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #90
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
kingmonkeyjr was 10/12 Prod Begins and got the deletion.
and you were 10/11 good gawd, you may have squeeked by ... I was 42 so looks like I did too ... we may have gotten lucky, but boy do I feel bad for those that haven't ... it's such a non-premium experience when you're looking for the opposite
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:32 PM   #91
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
and you were 10/11 good gawd, you may have squeeked by ... I was 42 so looks like I did too ... we may have gotten lucky, but boy do I feel bad for those that haven't ... it's such a non-premium experience when you're looking for the opposite
Oh, 42 is guaranteed pass. There's already been a few week 42's who have already picked up and confirmed touch screen.

The thing is, supply issues due to today's world is not BMW's fault. I'm not blaming BMW at all. I'm not even blaming the communication process, as apparently the dealer communique just got distributed today. But $500 is an insult. It's nowhere closer to value/cost of a retrofit.
      10-28-2021, 10:56 PM   #92
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cool cars

Quote:
At last count at least 3 or 4 forum members have dropped their orders. I know dealers won't be hurting as they will have no problems selling a MSRP car to walk-ups. But it's not about selling to today's walk-ups. It's about souring a relationship for a future sale, and frankly speaking, those who pre-orders are more likely repeat customers.

My thoughts: the $500 discount for a standard feature is too low. Presumably as with all past ID models, touch screen should be retrofitable in the future. But costs of retrofit typically is $1000-$2000 range.

IMO, BMW can make this right and save some customer relationships by offering a free retrofit in the future. That would have cured the issue for me
This.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:12 PM   #93
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Welp there you go from the horse's mouth. Backup assist is linked to this deletion (if ZPK equipped).

Thanks for posting this. Just let her also gives the impression that it was written sometime in October. Do you know roughly what was the letter date?
GM received yesterday evening from the BMW NA market area rep
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      10-28-2021, 11:23 PM   #94
Jedi Greg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i w/DHP

I have build week 46 for a fully loaded (except B&W) X6 M50i. It was originally build week 48 but got moved up to 46. I have been in status 112 for 3 weeks now as I placed my order in early October, but dealer did not have an allocation right away. I reached out to my SA on this communication but have not yet heard back. So pretty sure I will not get the touch screen based on the communication previously posted. I am on the fence if I will cancel. A good friend of mine who drives an M3 tells me he uses the idrive controller more than the touch screen and if he didn’t have it he would not miss it, but since he has it he does use it occasionally. He also says since he has the heads up display he finds that he uses that a lot in conjunction with the steering wheel controls. So perhaps not a total deal breaker for me, but I really have to think about this now. And yes I agree $500 is way too little. I guess the good news is that they could retrofit a touch screen later on, but doesn’t seem like they are going to commit to that at least not right now. That would be the right thing to do.

Crazy question: Do you think if a dealer has an equivalent model e.g. another X5 or X6 on their lot with touch screen they could or would be willing to swap if it has not already been sold? Don’t know if that violates anything but just trying to think outside of the box.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:40 PM   #95
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Greg View Post
I have build week 46 for a fully loaded (except B&W) X6 M50i. It was originally build week 48 but got moved up to 46. I have been in status 112 for 3 weeks now as I placed my order in early October, but dealer did not have an allocation right away. I reached out to my SA on this communication but have not yet heard back. So pretty sure I will not get the touch screen based on the communication previously posted. I am on the fence if I will cancel. A good friend of mine who drives an M3 tells me he uses the idrive controller more than the touch screen and if he didn’t have it he would not miss it, but since he has it he does use it occasionally. He also says since he has the heads up display he finds that he uses that a lot in conjunction with the steering wheel controls. So perhaps not a total deal breaker for me, but I really have to think about this now. And yes I agree $500 is way too little. I guess the good news is that they could retrofit a touch screen later on, but doesn’t seem like they are going to commit to that at least not right now. That would be the right thing to do.

Crazy question: Do you think if a dealer has an equivalent model e.g. another X5 or X6 on their lot with touch screen they could or would be willing to swap if it has not already been sold? Don’t know if that violates anything but just trying to think outside of the box.
Doubt they will "swap" out an existing piece. These units have to be coded. They'd rather order a new one. But TBH, it'll be cost prohibitive for you as certainly dealer won't foot the bill for something caused by the mothership.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-28-2021 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:46 PM   #96
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Greg View Post
I'm in same boat w/ a m50i on order.

I don't think they will be able to do that; it's clear that it will require different software because they are shipping these imcomplete for software install by dealer. It doesn't seem plug and play.

IF this could be retrofitted later for 2k or less, I'd 100% do it. But I have a feeling that's not going to be possible w/o massive work and a bunch of warranty issues. I would love to be wrong, but as soon as they said different software, that leads me to believe this isn't going to be simple.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:52 PM   #97
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
I'm in same boat w/ a m50i on order.

I don't think they will be able to do that; it's clear that it will require different software because they are shipping these imcomplete for software install by dealer. It doesn't seem plug and play.

IF this could be retrofitted later for 2k or less, I'd 100% do it. But I have a feeling that's not going to be possible w/o massive work and a bunch of warranty issues. I would love to be wrong, but as soon as they said different software, that leads me to believe this isn't going to be simple.
Don't fret. If you have the mindset of retrofit on your own dime at a later time, you can bet Patrys@BimmerTech will figure it out. I've seen more exotic retrofits than this.
      10-28-2021, 11:56 PM   #98
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

I too think we're not getting enough of a refund. nothing for the removal of backup assist and only 500 for the touchscreen is weak. I think 1k is a better proxy. Seriously, if BMW had released this verision to reviewers, every single one would just roast them for releasing a non touchscreen in 2022. It's bad enough now, but imagine in the future? these cars will now feel dated very very fast.

Sadly, I think I'm just gonna take the shit sandwich. There really aren't better options. I can puff out my chest and say I'll take my money elsewhere, but seriously, WHERE?

You basically have to get real lucky that some model is on a floor somewhere, or maybe someone died and gave up their 2020/21/22 (seriously, why else would you trade cars now? jeez, what do you replace it with?) I will have my SA look around for X6/X7 options and I can look for CPO, but I think that's going to be pointless and there are reasons I picked the X5 in the first place - it was fit for purpose. Anything else is just different (and for me, worse) compromises. There's just not a lot out there.

I'm just gonna be salty for years that I have a COVID M50i. There will never NOT be a time there won't be fingerprints on the display, because I'll probably hit it twice a day and then bitch. But I don't see a better option unless some miracle x5/Cayenne/SQ8 is on a forgotten back lot somewhere.
Appreciate 1
Nuke888.00
      10-29-2021, 12:01 AM   #99
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I too think we're not getting enough of a refund. nothing for the removal of backup assist and only 500 for the touchscreen is weak. I think 1k is a better proxy. Seriously, if BMW had released this verision to reviewers, every single one would just roast them for releasing a non touchscreen in 2022. It's bad enough now, but imagine in the future? these cars will now feel dated very very fast.

Sadly, I think I'm just gonna take the shit sandwich. There really aren't better options. I can puff out my chest and say I'll take my money elsewhere, but seriously, WHERE?

You basically have to get real lucky that some model is on a floor somewhere, or maybe someone died and gave up their 2020/21/22 (seriously, why else would you trade cars now? jeez, what do you replace it with?) I will have my SA look around for X6/X7 options and I can look for CPO, but I think that's going to be pointless and there are reasons I picked the X5 in the first place - it was fit for purpose. Anything else is just different (and for me, worse) compromises. There's just not a lot out there.

I'm just gonna be salty for years that I have a COVID M50i. There will never NOT be a time there won't be fingerprints on the display, because I'll probably hit it twice a day and then bitch. But I don't see a better option unless some miracle x5/Cayenne/SQ8 is on a forgotten back lot somewhere.
i think you just coined the term "COVID X5". Many of us who bought between 2020 and 2022 got some variant of a COVID X5

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-29-2021 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
3Wagon129.00
      10-29-2021, 12:02 AM   #100
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i think you just coined the term "COVID X5". Many of us who bought between 2020 and 2022 got a COVID X5 in some respect
I'll forever think of it as "infected".
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 12:02 AM   #101
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'll forever think of it as "infected".
just changed my signature.
      10-29-2021, 12:16 AM   #102
Laura413
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I apologized for my naïveté, but can someone please explain what the backup assist actually does?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:24 AM   #103
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura413 View Post
I apologized for my naïveté, but can someone please explain what the backup assist actually does?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_HC_WujgLI

There are a bunch of Youtube videos; here's one. Basically, you can hit a button, pull into your parking spot. When you leave, hit the button and it'll take you back to where you were automatically when you hit the button the first time. Situational, for sure, but some people might want to use this daily.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:25 AM   #104
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura413 View Post
retraces your pull in line. You control speed, car controls steering.
      10-29-2021, 12:30 AM   #105
teejnut
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:

I just got my production number today and leaning towards canceling and waiting for touchscreen to come back. We're not in a rush...

Yes, if BMW offered a free retrofit it would have cured it for me too.

I sure hope they bring back the touchscreen and this isn't a permanent thing...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:44 AM   #106
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasShelby View Post
Stolen from another, not as awesome, forum:

These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”
Vehicles with Option Code 6UY are expected to begin shipping this week from Plant Spartanburg, with overseas production to follow next week. All vehicles produced with this option will require a software update prior to retail and customer delivery as they will be shipped and wholesaled with a Retail Stop Sale. The software update will be available as of November 11.

With the software update forthcoming, we felt it was best to deliver the vehicles as they are built to expedite the resolution process
. We acknowledge this is a different approach and thank you for your flexibility, continued cooperation and commitment to BMW.

Thank you.

~Jon S.
So does the software update being release on 11 Nov fix the Touchscreen and Backup Assistant problem? 11 Nov is also right in the middle of week 45 builds so wonder if it will be updated during build ... yes I'm a week 45 build
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:49 AM   #107
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSgt B View Post
So does the software update being release on 11 Nov fix the Touchscreen and Backup Assistant problem? 11 Nov is also right in the middle of week 45 builds so wonder if it will be updated during build ... yes I'm a week 45 build
The touchscreen is a hardware issue - it just lacks a touch capable screen. They are updating the software to work with the changes, but as it won't be ready until later, they are shipping unfinished cars and then going to patch the software at the dealer THEN deliver to customers.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      10-29-2021, 01:51 AM   #108
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The touchscreen is a hardware issue - it just lacks a touch capable screen. They are updating the software to work with the changes, but as it won't be ready until later, they are shipping unfinished cars and then going to patch the software at the dealer THEN deliver to customers.
Yep, early deliveries actually will sit at dealers until Nov 11
      10-29-2021, 02:05 AM   #109
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:

I guess I'm in the same boat. I know I mentioned dropping my order, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with. The only things I liked nearly as much were the Q7 55 TFSI Prestige and the Genesis GV80 3.5TT, and neither has 30 miles of electric range.

I'll probably just buy it and pray there's a retrofit in the future.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 05:57 AM   #110
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I've sent an email to the dealer but if it's true then I'm out for a couple reasons.

A. This is a bit of speculation but I can't imagine this car holding the same value over time. As others have mentioned this version is now the Covid car. Any new buyer walking up is going to ask "you mean the touchscreen does not work?"

B. Software updates I think will be a larger issue down the road. Having a newly written software program written for these units only does not bode well for updates, upgrades or bugs. Or the incentive for them to fix things down the road.

C. I'm not sure what a screen replacement costs but I'm sure it's a lot more than $500. Any idea how much the part is alone if ordered by the dealer?

D. Yes you can make it work with just the dial but without a touchscreen it'd be a PITA. If using GPS I presume I'm using my phone to input addresses but it's like operating a computer without a keyboard. You can do it but why?

E. I'm thinking there'd be more fingerprints now than without it as I mash the screen relentlessly trying it get it to work

F. I think you can cover the back up assistant up with much of an issue for future buyers but as the screen is integral to the interior experience not having it is simply a major letdown.

Where to go from here? MB was a 5-6 month lead for a new car. Won't do that. Audi doesn't have the looks IMO. Porsche is too much $ for what you get performance wise. I'm thinking a lightly used one or a lot car is the best answer.
Appreciate 0