BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2023, 06:32 AM   #1
Bosno
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Cool Any updates on DAP being offered thru Connected Drive for LCI in the future

I got my LCI X5 not too long ago and I regret not getting DAP and specifically the adaptive cruise control feature. I have the parking assist package so I would assume my car has all the necessary hardware for adaptive cruise control.

Has BMW released any info on providing that feature in the future through software in Connected Drive?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 06:34 AM   #2
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Based on prior discussions on forum, it seems at least for US cars it appears not to be technically possible, due to lack of actual radar sensor behind the cap
Appreciate 1
eluded3071.50
      12-07-2023, 12:30 PM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosno View Post
I got my LCI X5 not too long ago and I regret not getting DAP and specifically the adaptive cruise control feature. I have the parking assist package so I would assume my car has all the necessary hardware for adaptive cruise control.

Has BMW released any info on providing that feature in the future through software in Connected Drive?
Talk with your dealer. Depending on mileage, demand and what not, they might be willing to help you with trade in/discount/taking advantage of year end incentives.

I did something similar with my wife’s Toyota SUV several years ago (she regretted not getting higher tech package) and we ended up paying what essentially amounted to usage plus sales tax again. We were able to swap with a car on dealer’s lot, we were lucky in that regard. Dealer was able to have one more new car sale in that month and happy to help us out.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 07:11 PM   #4
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Your car also doesn't have the buttons for radar cruise. I agree with the others, you're kinda stuck.

It's also completely unacceptable IMO that any X5 comes without this feature. It's standard on Toyota Corollas for crying out loud. A luxury car should not come without radar cruise as standard.
Appreciate 1
eluded3071.50
      12-07-2023, 07:17 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Your car also doesn't have the buttons for radar cruise. I agree with the others, you're kinda stuck.

It's also completely unacceptable IMO that any X5 comes without this feature. It's standard on Toyota Corollas for crying out loud. A luxury car should not come without radar cruise as standard.
And the camera that is required is missing. I also think it should be standard however look at how many people don't get it because they say they will never use it. While I think that is a little foolhardy, it is their money and driving style.
      12-07-2023, 08:19 PM   #6
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
And the camera that is required is missing. I also think it should be standard however look at how many people don't get it because they say they will never use it. While I think that is a little foolhardy, it is their money and driving style.

I said that when I bought a grand Cherokee without it. Actually, I said "I don't want to get it because I don't trust it but I will use it". I was wrong, and now I won't buy a non sports car without it. I think a lot of people that say that are just being cheap. I know that's an unpopular thing to say, but it's the truth. A lot of things that are optional on these cars should be standard, because they come standard on non luxury competitors.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:02 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I said that when I bought a grand Cherokee without it. Actually, I said "I don't want to get it because I don't trust it but I will use it". I was wrong, and now I won't buy a non sports car without it. I think a lot of people that say that are just being cheap. I know that's an unpopular thing to say, but it's the truth. A lot of things that are optional on these cars should be standard, because they come standard on non luxury competitors.
You are not alone, we often have folks post that they enjoy using it and it is much better than they thought. Usually once a person has it they will never buy another one without it.

I always recommend that folks buy it not only for the driving assistance but also for the extra safety features. I think if they have it they wil eventually use it and like it.
      12-08-2023, 02:02 AM   #8
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Pretty sure a lot of HW is missing to just "add it. I did not want DAP but now I wonder how I would live without it! Such a nice feature. I remember when people used to have to drive on the highway...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:04 AM   #9
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosno View Post

As others have alluded to, there is hardware missing on your vehicle which is required for DAP:

- Gauge cluster camera that watches your eye focus
- Steering wheel attention lights
- Radar sensor(s).
- DAP mode button

There's just no way to add it after the fact.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 07:33 AM   #10
BlkGS
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You are not alone, we often have folks post that they enjoy using it and it is much better than they thought. Usually once a person has it they will never buy another one without it.

I always recommend that folks buy it not only for the driving assistance but also for the extra safety features. I think if they have it they wil eventually use it and like it.
Absolutely agree. I could live without the lane keeping and drive through the turns stuff honestly. I'm not a fan of the idea of hands free driving. But the safety factor of having your car detect cars in front of you is MASSIVE, especially if you have kids in your car. It's the difference between a momentary lapse of attention being unnoticed because the car automatically slows down to avoid a car in front of you, and it being an accident where people could get hurt.

Frankly, I think radar cruise should be federally mandated to be the minimum for cruise control, and that all new vehicles should be required to come with automatic forward braking. It's way cheaper to add that than it is to add some of the other stupid stuff they're trying to push into the markets.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #11
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Are you practicing your stand-up comedy routine? There are no buttons anymore!

Radar cruise is all controlled through the screen, after going through 43 menus.

Steering wheels are the same across the board, DAPP or not...or, heated steering wheel or not.
Appreciate 0