BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #133
Blackcat57
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d, G05 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
Anyone got an aftermarket towbar fitted yet in Australia?
The BMW towbar was meant to become available by now, but (as usual) is very expensive - at least $3400.
I only need for a bike rack - so was waiting for the Hayman Reece (not yet available), but the Stealth Hitch (US based) looks so much better, and still allows the kick-open to work with no cut-outs. Not likely ADR compliant - but wonder if anyone else has looked at this?
The Westfalia towbar is available (OEM). I'm getting mine from https://australiatowbars.com.au/
Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      07-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #134
MPoweRo
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP LCI2 M, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat57 View Post
Quote:
Anyone got an aftermarket towbar fitted yet in Australia?
The BMW towbar was meant to become available by now, but (as usual) is very expensive - at least $3400.
I only need for a bike rack - so was waiting for the Hayman Reece (not yet available), but the Stealth Hitch (US based) looks so much better, and still allows the kick-open to work with no cut-outs. Not likely ADR compliant - but wonder if anyone else has looked at this?
The Westfalia towbar is available (OEM). I'm getting mine from https://australiatowbars.com.au/
Good one. Still $1500.

https://australiatowbars.com.au/bmw-...l#ig_lightbox2[gal]/1/

M4 Times (PSC2): Sandown: 1.21.76 Winton:
1M Times (PSC2):
Phillip Island: 1.53.09 Sandown: 1.24.03 Calder Park: 1.07.31 Winton: 1.36.71
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #135
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

That looks a good option. It doesn't say it is ADR compliant, but assume it must be if the are selling here. Do you know if a 2" square receiver option is possible with the westfalia unit? My bike carrier use the 2" receiver - not a tow ball
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:46 AM   #136
jammit
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone in Australia been able to get traffic jam assist working - ie: when driver assist is on and you stop in a traffic jam, the car will automatically go forward without touching the accelerator?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:42 AM   #137
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Has anyone in Australia been able to get traffic jam assist working - ie: when driver assist is on and you stop in a traffic jam, the car will automatically go forward without touching the accelerator?
No, it doesnt work for anyone in Australia.
I read from an earlier reply on here that the laws around privacy in Australia prohibit the IR camera in the gauge cluster from being able to track your eyes, and therefore the traffic jam assist will not be able to work.
I hope that BMW and the Australia Government can agree on allowing the IR camera to track eyes, and if they do, I expect it should beccome available through a software update.
At least our Government has a good relationship with BMW as there are several BMW government vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #138
jammit
Private First Class
Rep

TJ_BMW - thanks for confirming.
I've had 2 service managers and the ex genius at BMW Melbourne tell me it is working in Australia!
Anyone else having problems with this dealer?
They don't even have a genius at present!
Used to be the flagship dealer owned by BMW until they sold it off.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:27 AM   #139
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 G05 X5 M60i

Quote:
TJ_BMW - thanks for confirming.
I've had 2 service managers and the ex genius at BMW Melbourne tell me it is working in Australia!
Anyone else having problems with this dealer?
They don't even have a genius at present!
Used to be the flagship dealer owned by BMW until they sold it off.
There are two options for Driving Assist (1) Driving Assistant Professional and (2) Traffic Jam Assist. Option (1) is available in Australia and I have it in my car 2019 G05 M50D. This allows active cruise control meaning it maintains the speed and follows the car in-front as well as Start/Stop without touching the accelerator, it also keeps the car in the lane with automatic steering. However, this requires you to be touching the steering wheel at all times. Also, if the car is stationary for approx. 30sec, it will disengage and you have to resume it. The Traffic Jam assist has a very similar functionality but without touching the steering wheel. This feature is NOT available in Australia. Hope this helps clarify.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #140
jammit
Private First Class
Rep

Marcosg - thanks for your note.
My car will not proceed automatically once stopped behind another car. Can you confirm yours proceeds within 30s? Are you doing something additional to get this to work?
Does anyone else have this working is Oz??
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #141
Blackcat57
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d, G05 M50d

Quote:
My car will not proceed automatically once stopped behind another car. Can you confirm yours proceeds within 30s? Are you doing something additional to get this to work?
My 50d disables the speed control if stopped for more than about 5 seconds. You have to click resume for push the accelerator to get it to resume
The IR driver camera does not seems to have any affect on the car's behaviour at all. I've tried sunglasses and blocking it completely with a rag. Nothing changes, even though the IR LEDS are transmitting.

After 3 weeks of trying the driver assist features I think it's a pretty poor job. Looks to me like BMW has 'done a Boeing' and subcontracted the software development out to a 'cheaper source'. It needs a lot of work to be safer. I can't trust it.
The system bounces or oscillates between white lines to the point of making my passenger carsick, it lacks forward perception, accelerates towards stopped vehicles and sometimes fights for control for no apparent reason. It did however save a motorcyclist's life when he came ripping up between the lanes at 120+ks at night and the BMW intervened to steer me away from him. Lucky bastard.
The bluetooth-phone function is just crap. I could go on...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #142
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep

Sorry about the confusion, It is not actually 30 sec (What was i thinking !!!), it is like @Blakcat57 mentioned about 3-5 sec.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #143
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Tracking my custom built order

Hi everyone, bought my first BMW in June and it was a custom build X5. The dealer emailed me last week and said the car has been built, he also told me the VIN, but no shipping details are known yet.

Is it normal to have a built car with no shipping details?
And how long after the car is built would the shipping details be available?

Looking forward to start tracking!

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #144
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_coke View Post
Hi everyone, bought my first BMW in June and it was a custom build X5. The dealer emailed me last week and said the car has been built, he also told me the VIN, but no shipping details are known yet.

Is it normal to have a built car with no shipping details?
And how long after the car is built would the shipping details be available?

Looking forward to start tracking!

thanks
I think the car is normally shipped about two weeks after the build. Your dealer should be able to give you a Shipping Tracking ID or at least the ship name than you can use the Marine Traffic website to track it. Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #145
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
I think the car is normally shipped about two weeks after the build. Your dealer should be able to give you a Shipping Tracking ID or at least the ship name than you can use the Marine Traffic website to track it. Good Luck.
Thanks. Its now day 5 after build, and still no vessel details. I am already getting impatient!

Which US port do the cars get shipping from? and how long does it normally take to get to Melbourne?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:59 AM   #146
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Which US port do the cars get shipping from?
Charleston, North Carolina
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #147
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Its now day 5 after build, and still no vessel details. I am already getting impatient!

Which US port do the cars get shipping from? and how long does it normally take to get to Melbourne?
Usually six to eight weeks from production date.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #148
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Ours took 3-4 months after production to be delivered to us here in Melbourne.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #149
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:

My production date was first week of May 19. I got delivery last week of June 19. It arrived to the dealer about a week before I took delivery in Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #150
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_BMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:

My production date was first week of May 19. I got delivery last week of June 19. It arrived to the dealer about a week before I took delivery in Sydney.
That was fast. Ours was built in January and arrived in March, although the dealer told us April.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #151
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I would be happy with that! even if you add a couple of days to count the distance between Sydney and Melbourne.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:26 AM   #152
iam_coke
Enlisted Member
Rep

Delayed :(

Its been 2 weeks since my car was built and no shipping details have been released.

So I contacted my dealer today and was told that there has been a delay due to a factory fire at the South Carolina plant. He also said the same fire was the reason for the temporary halt of the M50d (https://www.caradvice.com.au/782029/...alian-line-up/).

The worst part is he couldn't give me a revised delivery date

I did a google search for the fire but didn't find anything. Does anyone else know anything?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #153
marcosg
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I recently got the software updated to 07/2019.39. With this version the Active Cruise Control (with Start/Stop) does NOT disengage after stopping and it resumes automatically without interventions. There does not seem to be anytime limit either.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #154
jammit
Private First Class
Rep

Marcosg - that's great to hear and the first software update for the Australian market that I'm aware of.
Are there any other improvements in the software update?
How did you convince the dealer to update for you?
Appreciate 0