BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2024, 12:50 PM   #1
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7, Audi Q5 TDI Neutered

Help me choose: 2025: X5: 40i vs. 50e

I was strongly leaning towards a 50e, but the reliablity stuff (especially on this forum) has freaked me out a bit.

My situation is I am in NorCal, 3 days a week commute 40 miles each way. Potential free charging at work (if i can find a spot). Paid charging at home in my appartment building. Other than that just regular errand running, and perhaps a 100-400 mile trip every 4-6 weeks for short vacations.

I suspect that cost of running is not going to be much different, but I like the fact that the 50e has signiricantly better performance. I guess there may also be some environmental benefits, but they would be marginal at best.

Coming from a 2018 Q7 which has been flawless for 6.5 years, the reliablity is a big deal. I just don't have the time to take things into a dealer every month.
Appreciate 1
eluded3044.50
      03-15-2024, 01:12 PM   #2
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Is the paid charging at home decent rates? If it's just like a public charger, I wouldn't get a BEV or PHEV.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:46 PM   #3
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
Is the paid charging at home decent rates? If it's just like a public charger, I wouldn't get a BEV or PHEV.
Nee to check, but pretty sure not, and I'm only here for next 18 months, before I probably buy my own place, where I expect it will be PGE rates.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 01:48 PM   #4
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I should also add that I will get till Sep 2025 HOV lane, though I can (usually) pay to go in that lane with a regular car (expect it would be ~$2K worth during that time).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:48 PM   #5
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Love my 40i, plus I live in Europe and 90% or more are 45e and 50e.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:27 PM   #6
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Drive both for a day. Some folks love the electric operation, some folks hate it.
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      03-15-2024, 08:09 PM   #7
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

You might also find value in not having to go to gas stations on a regular basis, being able to pre-condition in a garage, and yes...the performance benefit of the 50e over 40i is very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:09 PM   #8
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shed View Post
I should also add that I will get till Sep 2025 HOV lane, though I can (usually) pay to go in that lane with a regular car (expect it would be ~$2K worth during that time).
Keep in mind currently the backlog for HOV sticker application is "officially" 3 month but in practical anywhere between 4-9 month before they will even open your application and cash the check lol
Appreciate 1
eluded3044.50
      03-15-2024, 09:42 PM   #9
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

A vote for 40i here. I just don’t think the 50e issues have been resolved.
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 10:06 PM   #10
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Definitely 40i from cost of operation aspect. With pge rate increase again in March, $/mile for Edrive is absolutely higher than $/mile for gas. The free charging at work require some dicispline, like get to office before 8:45am. Public charge at home is expansive too.
LDT1539.50
      03-15-2024, 10:08 PM   #11
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I wouldn't touch a 50e right now. BMW hasn't solved the problems with it. It is an awesome vehicle when it works.

40i is a fantastic choice, even gets decent gas mileage.
Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
      03-15-2024, 11:56 PM   #12
Sevn86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 sDrive40i Msport

I didn’t get the 50e for all the reasons I’ve read here. Stick to the 40i.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 03:29 AM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I'd go with the 50e just for the check engine lights. Nothing like spending bank on a new car with known defects.

40 miles each way means you need to charge twice a day to run all electric. Assuming you achieve 2m/kw. This would be inconvenient in an apartment. PGE rates are crazy expensive and will only go up. Fuel is cheaper than running electric with PGE. PGE has had two rate increases in less than 4 months. Now if you had a home with solar and a battery (because you'll charge at night) it might make sense.

That said a wonderful car. Rides great, descent power.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:28 AM   #14
sdengineer
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M3 CX, 25 X5 40i X

I just went through this exact decision process. Went with the 40i because its already quite economical and has the mild-hybrid. The 50e weighs about 600 pounds more! I couldn't see the value of paying another $5K.

I just felt like 40i drivetrain has been well established and should last a long time.

Note: I have solar panels and a high-current circuit. I'll save that for a full EV when I'm ready.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 10:50 AM   #15
X5MC4ME
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M Comp

Agree w others if you are buying right now the 40 seems like the safer option. The 50E has loads of potential but it seems like BMW is still figuring out the tech.

X
Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
Cityman181.00
      03-16-2024, 12:26 PM   #16
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Arghhhh; really wanted to go for 40i, but just drove the 50e and 40i, and I hate to say it the 50e just seemed to drive feel and much better. Can see why CR gave it 98/100 in it's road test.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 01:19 PM   #17
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It is emotional vs logical. In SF bay, PGE, unable to charge at home, mild weather makes precondition non critical, .. logically, I don’t see any upside. This is from someone with a 45e. All of those still apply for 45e in SF bay, but back then 45e cost substantially less than 40i with fed and Cali incentive, which both don’t exist now. If I have to buy again today, it will be 40i.

Just check PGE March 1st rate. ToU-C, summer off peak tier2, delivery rate is $0.49. Generation rate is about $0.13. So $0.62/kWh. If 50e can do 2m/kWh, you are looking at $0.32/mile. Ice operation at current gas price is about $0.21/mile.
      03-16-2024, 02:21 PM   #18
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Arghhhh; really wanted to go for 40i, but just drove the 50e and 40i, and I hate to say it the 50e just seemed to drive feel and much better. Can see why CR gave it 98/100 in it's road test.
What was so much better?

The air suspension? If you hurry you can definitely order a 2025 40i with air suspension, it just can’t be m sport
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 07:18 PM   #19
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
What was so much better?

The air suspension? If you hurry you can definitely order a 2025 40i with air suspension, it just can’t be m sport
It was really hard to place a finger on. Everything about the drive felt better - smoother acceleration, better acceleration, ride, even cornering. It's not inconceivable I'm imaginging stuff, and the difference isn't that much; I only had 10mins in each. It's not like the 40i was bad, and if I hadn't tried a 50e I'd probably just order the 40i

I'm curious from those who test drove both before picking one.

At this point it's not a financial decision either up front or operating.

On operating, it's not economical to pay for charging in NorCal, and so my free charging at work (when I can get it), will likely be offset by the worse MPG on the 50e, though it's not inconceivable I move to a house with solar in 18 months.

On upfront, I don't qualify for tax credit, but I will save some on tolls so the prices end up pretty close.

So the the choice I'm making is really, do I go for performance and hope and pray that by the time my MY25 order is completed, the reliabillity issues are better, or do I just not risk it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:02 PM   #20
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
It was really hard to place a finger on. Everything about the drive felt better - smoother acceleration, better acceleration, ride, even cornering. It's not inconceivable I'm imaginging stuff, and the difference isn't that much; I only had 10mins in each. It's not like the 40i was bad, and if I hadn't tried a 50e I'd probably just order the 40i

I'm curious from those who test drove both before picking one.

At this point it's not a financial decision either up front or operating.

On operating, it's not economical to pay for charging in NorCal, and so my free charging at work (when I can get it), will likely be offset by the worse MPG on the 50e, though it's not inconceivable I move to a house with solar in 18 months.

On upfront, I don't qualify for tax credit, but I will save some on tolls so the prices end up pretty close.

So the the choice I'm making is really, do I go for performance and hope and pray that by the time my MY25 order is completed, the reliabillity issues are better, or do I just not risk it.
Thanks!

Curious if you want to go for performance have you tried the m60? It’s another decent leg up in cost but will delivery a bette performance experience than the 50e.

My biggest gripe about the hybrids is what is the driver experience like when the battery is depleted - which based on your driving you will experience.

There’s no arguing many have explained that the powertrain keeps “some” battery juice on tap for the need to floor the car - but how long can you floor it before that battery is fully depleted? So you could find yourself with a depleted battery and driving with a smaller output than the 40i - in anything more than a short burst.

My experience from a Jeep hybrid (wife car) - not sure if it applies to 50e. when driving in that empty battery situation where a very little amt of battery is left in reserve - the Jeep ICE motor will be used to charge the battery when brake regen is not sufficient. Personally I hate high regen so would also have this basically off. So if you’re on the highway or at a stoplight I here the motor kicking on at higher revs than expected - it’s noisy and very clunky..

If any of this is true for the 50e - it lends to a far less smooth operation than the 10 minute test driving you just experienced where the battery was full charge. These scenarios / events are why I would now choose the 40i over the 50e. To me, hybrids are there for those looking to do daily local driving and not burn an ounce of gas and maybe combine the power trains for a quick smash of the pedal. If you don’t value this electric only mode - I don’t think the more complicated setup is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 08:08 PM   #21
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Curious if you want to go for performance have you tried the m60? It’s another decent leg up in cost but will delivery a bette performance experience than the 50e.

My biggest gripe about the hybrids is what is the driver experience like when the battery is depleted - which based on your driving you will experience.

There’s no arguing many have explained that the powertrain keeps “some” battery juice on tap for the need to floor the car - but how long can you floor it before that battery is fully depleted? So you could find yourself with a depleted battery and driving with a smaller output than the 40i - in anything more than a short burst.

My experience from a Jeep hybrid (wife car) - not sure if it applies to 50e. when driving in that empty battery situation where a very little amt of battery is left in reserve - the Jeep ICE motor will be used to charge the battery when brake regen is not sufficient. Personally I hate high regen so would also have this basically off. So if you’re on the highway or at a stoplight I here the motor kicking on at higher revs than expected - it’s noisy and very clunky..

If any of this is true for the 50e - it lends to a far less smooth operation than the 10 minute test driving you just experienced where the battery was full charge. These scenarios / events are why I would now choose the 40i over the 50e. To me, hybrids are there for those looking to do daily local driving and not burn an ounce of gas and maybe combine the power trains for a quick smash of the pedal. If you don’t value this electric only [...]
I don’t think HVB change the “smoothness” of acceleration at all. After all, both ice and emotor go through transmission, so both power chain see shifting. The engagement and disengagement once the car is moving is unnoticeable. I don’t see how 50e can be smoother. More stronger acceleration sure.

Cornering also cannot be favorable to 50e due to the added weight, like 10+% more. Softer suspension softer ride from air suspension is more likely what OP is feeling, but definitely more body rolls and dives when pushing.
      03-16-2024, 08:29 PM   #22
shed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

If any of this is true for the 50e - it lends to a far less smooth operation than the 10 minute test driving you just experienced where the battery was full charge. These scenarios / events are why I would now choose the 40i over the 50e. To me, hybrids are there for those looking to do daily local driving and not burn an ounce of gas and maybe combine the power trains for a quick smash of the pedal. If you don’t value this electric only mode - I don’t think the more complicated setup is worth it.
Thank you for your detailed response.

I was thinking about the M60, but there's a level of flashness that I would rather not have my colleagues see.

As for 50e with battery depleted, are the driving chacteristics changed would love to hear from a 50e owner?
Appreciate 0