BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Carplay and FaceTime

Anyone else experience this issue where if your phone is connected to the car via carplay and you make a FaceTime call then sometimes you can see the video of the other person and sometimes you cannot on your phone and most definitely your own little video bubble doesn't show on your screen and neither can the other person see you. I have the latest iOS version running on a iPhone XS Max and software version 07.2019/71 on the car. Carplay works flawlessly otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I wonder if it’s a safety thing? I know they have the DND, but wonder if they forced the phones on something in the background to kill the video if you’re in motion.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I wonder if it's a safety thing? I know they have the DND, but wonder if they forced the phones on something in the background to kill the video if you're in motion.
Well this is more for my wife who is a passenger and we are connecting her phone through CarPlay so that we can listen to her "awesome "music and sometimes she likes to FaceTime with her family when we are on long drives. So technically not a safety issue if the passenger is using it for FaceTime with their phone connected to CarPlay. Also, the funny part is that sometimes we will be able to see the video and sometimes not but at all times the person who we are face timing cannot see us at all
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:26 AM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Oh no, I think that’s probably it though. I would take a wild guess and bet somewhere in the mix of iOS and BMW, it kills certain features. Are you on the latest iOS? I know the previous versions back a bit would kill whatever is on your screen in the car if you went to another app on the phone. Also, some of the 13.2s had issues killing background apps and data.

I would still check to see if she’s on DND mode. I’ve never actually tested to see if Apple’s software could differentiate, which is why I leave it set to manual. I know FaceTime works while driving, since I’ve had people FaceTime me instead of calling my by accident when they’re driving. It’s so hard to tell who the culprit is these days with software and hardware.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Oh no, I think that's probably it though. I would take a wild guess and bet somewhere in the mix of iOS and BMW, it kills certain features. Are you on the latest iOS? I know the previous versions back a bit would kill whatever is on your screen in the car if you went to another app on the phone. Also, some of the 13.2s had issues killing background apps and data.

I would still check to see if she's on DND mode. I've never actually tested to see if Apple's software could differentiate, which is why I leave it set to manual. I know FaceTime works while driving, since I've had people FaceTime me instead of calling my by accident when they're driving. It's so hard to tell who the culprit is these days with software and hardware.
Yup latest version of iOS and no dnd mode for her and yes FaceTime works when the phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth but just not when it is connected via carplay so clearly not a safety issue specifically addressed by bmw as it works when the phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Yup latest version of iOS and no dnd mode for her and yes FaceTime works when the phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth but just not when it is connected via carplay so clearly not a safety issue specifically addressed by bmw as it works when the phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth.
+1, actually when you even ask Siri to FaceTime someone, it automatically does a FaceTime Audio call. Obviously they don't want us to look at our phones and drive They can't control what happens over bluetooth, hence it should work as expected.

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

I'll try to see if I can re-create it on my car. So it's just via CarPlay? I would bet CarPlay has a kill switch for video when it's connected. I know there was some issues taking videos when connected via CarPlay as a passenger for me in the past. It just blinked in the video screen a bunch of times. You may want to reach out to apple and see if it's an issue on their end? Doesn't sound like a BMW issue...try to submit feedback to apple at the very least.

It's frustrating when there's a particular scenario where the moons don't align and your desired feature is lackluster. Didn't want you to think I was calling you unsafe! Just meant Big Brother Tech probably has some sort of safety kill switch.
Appreciate 0