BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2022, 07:18 PM   #1
KenEsq
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 45e

MyBMW App on Android...buggy mess?

We have about 1,200 miles on our new 45e and have experienced a number of problems with the MyBMW app.

The Find My BMW has never worked.

Digital Key worked...and then just deleted itself yesterday (very glad my wife was with us or it would have been a miserable afternoon had she not).

The precondition schedule stopped working.

I get error messages from the app saying to try again later.

The Digital Key and Precondition schedule problems started after the app was updated from the Play store yesterday.

Spent over an hour on the phone with BMW Geniuses and it was disappointing that the three I talked to didn't know iDrive 7 and had to keep referring and reading from the manual or telling me this is how we do it in iDrive 6

I have contacted their support by email and gone through all of the troubleshooting steps.

reboot...and update
holding the volume knob in for (exactly 70 seconds) and updating
Uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone.
Enabled/Disabled permissions...and so on.
logging in/logging out.
Phone is a Pixel 6 running Android 12.

Is this the norm for the app and their support? If so...pretty disappointing.

Anyone know how to fix these issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenEsq View Post
We have about 1,200 miles on our new 45e and have experienced a number of problems with the MyBMW app.

The Find My BMW has never worked.

Digital Key worked...and then just deleted itself yesterday (very glad my wife was with us or it would have been a miserable afternoon had she not).

The precondition schedule stopped working.

I get error messages from the app saying to try again later.

The Digital Key and Precondition schedule problems started after the app was updated from the Play store yesterday.

Spent over an hour on the phone with BMW Geniuses and it was disappointing that the three I talked to didn't know iDrive 7 and had to keep referring and reading from the manual or telling me this is how we do it in iDrive 6

I have contacted their support by email and gone through all of the troubleshooting steps.

reboot...and update
holding the volume knob in for (exactly 70 seconds) and updating
Uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my phone.
Enabled/Disabled permissions...and so on.
logging in/logging out.
Phone is a Pixel 6 running Android 12.

Is this the norm for the app and their support? If so...pretty disappointing.

Anyone know how to fix these issues?
Welcome to BMW! The BMW geniuses are geniuses in their own mind but brain dead idiots to the rest of the world.

The app is hit or miss and has always been that way since I've owned my 2020 X7 which I took delivery in November 2019.

With BMW, every updated to the iDrive system or the app to address bugs usually fixes one or two issues but introduces 2 to 3 times as many problems as they fix. BMW is a perfect example of technology gone wrong. They offer great technology in concept but fail to deliver and support what they offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 11:06 PM   #3
Drmsa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e MSport

I have to say, my experience hasn't been that bad. I have now had the car just under 4 weeks (done 950 miles) and have had no issues until the past 3-4 days following an update.
Over the past 3-4 days there have been delays on server following a new iDrive 7.0 update which has come up with things not working on the app.
Do you have access to another phone or another OS like iOS?? Perhaps trying from scratch on that phone?

PS I have iPhone with latest OS on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 05:46 AM   #4
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

While I totally agree with mitch57 about the uselessness of BMW "Genius" (or lack thereof), I have had pretty good luck with the myBMW app. The website, on the other hand, is hit or miss

You might want to try logging out & then back in; then try deleting app & reloading it.

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 06:56 AM   #5
KenEsq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmsa View Post
I have to say, my experience hasn't been that bad. I have now had the car just under 4 weeks (done 950 miles) and have had no issues until the past 3-4 days following an update.
Over the past 3-4 days there have been delays on server following a new iDrive 7.0 update which has come up with things not working on the app.
Do you have access to another phone or another OS like iOS?? Perhaps trying from scratch on that phone?

PS I have iPhone with latest OS on it.
We have two Google Pixel 6 phones. I never setup digital key on my wife's phone so it's not erroring out when I try.
The Where on My BMW doesn't work on her's and the precondition scheduling doesn't either.

I guess...just gotta wait and home BMW fixes it although I'm not sure I'll ever trust the Digital Key again.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 06:59 AM   #6
KenEsq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

While I totally agree with mitch57 about the uselessness of BMW "Genius" (or lack thereof), I have had pretty good luck with the myBMW app. The website, on the other hand, is hit or miss

You might want to try logging out & then back in; then try deleting app & reloading it.

Hope that helps!
Been there...on the resets, logging in/out. Even went to the bother of completely wiping my phone...no luck. I believe it's account based issues...but can't be sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #7
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

The app (v2.5.0) works fine on my Samsung S20. Digital key is not supported on this phone so no comment on that. On precondition scheduling - do you need to enable remote start in the car menus?

I wouldn't be surprised if an iDrive reboot causes the need to re-enable remote start.
      05-20-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
The app (v2.5.0) works fine on my Samsung S20. Digital key is not supported on this phone so no comment on that. On precondition scheduling - do you need to enable remote start in the car menus?

I wouldn't be surprised if an iDrive reboot causes the need to re-enable remote start.
No, rebooting iDrive does not disable the remote start option. Although, an iDrive update will disable that setting and force you to go back into the settings and re-enable it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #9
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

Hope that helps!
My biggest gripe is the remote 3D View. It works, at best, 50% of the time. When it does work it takes FOREVER to complete the process. It usually takes between 3 to 8 minutes for it to complete. At least 50% of the time it fails 3 minutes into the process.

Another 50% of the time clearing the data and going through the setup process again will fix it. But only about 50% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #10
KenEsq
Rep

I've now lost all remote services like lock, unlock, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

The My BMW app has usually operated fine on my car for the past 18 months. I just wish it would receive at least one of the RSU that these cars are supposed to receive.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #12
KenEsq
Rep

Still waiting on a response from BMW. Supposedly, they're "working on it."
Appreciate 0