BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #89
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

My SA called this morning to tell me that the second KAFAS camera did not fix the problem. They are trying to trouble shoot the problem with corporate. I've started the process of replacement. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #90
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep
Drives: Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espejo View Post
My SA called this morning to tell me that the second KAFAS camera did not fix the problem. They are trying to trouble shoot the problem with corporate. I've started the process of replacement. We shall see.
I purchased mine at Momentum as well, but they are terrible and I will never be doing business with them again. I'm dropping off at BMW West per your recommendation tomorrow.

I've been in contact with BMW NA and they have my issue documented and are ready to work the dealer.

I'm curious to see how this goes as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #91
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Oil Company View Post
I purchased mine at Momentum as well, but they are terrible and I will never be doing business with them again. I'm dropping off at BMW West per your recommendation tomorrow.

I've been in contact with BMW NA and they have my issue documented and are ready to work the dealer.

I'm curious to see how this goes as well.
Sorry but my car is at BMW North (FM 1960 & 45). It's there only because its closer to my home. I'm working with BMW Customer Relations since I'm getting anybody on the phone to hopefully get some results. I already told my SA that this Friday I will be coming in and we will need to have a sit down meeting with Supervisor, etc. to discuss specific options to resolve this option. Under the Texas Lemon Laws they have to keep it at least 30 days but if they provide a comparable vehicle then I may have an issue. So every time I speak to BMW I telling them it is a serious safety hazard since that could trigger the law too. Interesting since in theory if they give you a comparable car (in my case I have an X5 loaner) then I could be in this limbo for quite some time. I think by April 1st (appreciate the irony) if my car is not fixed I may go ahead and pay the $35 and file with the State of Texas and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #92
Garymil64
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

it’s not the weather in my case. Does it on dry roads did it when it was sitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
Sorry to hear people having issues with this fault.
I just picked up my G05 about 4 weeks ago. Live in upstate NY so lots of snowy weather, and of course the drivers assistance reduced error was prevalent.
I thought, and still hope, that it's just due to inclement weather.
I actually don't recall getting the message when the weather is nice.

I think I'm just going to wait it out and see how this resolves with BMW.
I don't have a very good relationship with the local dealership either. All my vehicles are leased from a dealer in NJ.

Otherwise, I do love this vehicle! I think it's the idrive 7 that really sells it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #93
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

My errors have not happened since the temps have gone over freezing. I’m starting to thing there is a sensor with water in it somewhere. I saw this mentioned on a different BMW model.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #94
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep

Dropped off this morning and 1 hour later i got the following email back from SA:
"We have diagnosed the problem and found the KAFAS camera to be faulty. We ordered the part from Germany and is scheduled to arrive on the 29th of March."

Hopefully this works.
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy12883.50
mnewnam268.00
      03-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #95
mnx5er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dropped off this morning and 1 hour later i got the following email back from SA:
"We have diagnosed the problem and found the KAFAS camera to be faulty. We ordered the part from Germany and is scheduled to arrive on the 29th of March."

Hopefully this works.
What is the build date of your X5?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #96
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
What is the build date of your X5?
Production started 1st week of January.

I took delivery Jan 19th.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #97
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
You need to have a history of issues/attempts and a service manager willing to fight for you wth BMW. Not a slam dunk by any means, really important to have a good relationship with the service folks.
I took pictures the last 20 times it happened and created a 6 page document with dates/times and pictures. The car was at the dealer less than 1 hour this morning when i got the note that its the camera and they are replacing it.

I just hope thats the real fix. The original dealership just upgraded my software to .65. The upgrade made everything else work better, but the KAFAS issue remained.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #98
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, G05 X5, Gen 2 Raptor

Quote:

Hopefully this works.
This part does not come from Germany - I hate that dealers are telling this to people.

The KAFAS camera is a 100% US sourced part, and there's not enough on hand. I confirmed this with BMW corporate and the Parts Distribution Center when I had the issue in January.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #99
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollywoodkid View Post
Anyone tried getting any credit or anything from BMW NA?
I feel like when you have paid 65k + we should have to see the service center for months.
Yes, I got one month's payment reimbursed.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #100
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post
This part does not come from Germany - I hate that dealers are telling this to people.

The KAFAS camera is a 100% US sourced part, and there's not enough on hand. I confirmed this with BMW corporate and the Parts Distribution Center when I had the issue in January.
Do you think they are being coached/instructed to do this or are they lazy and just assume all the parts are from Germany because its a German manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #101
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you think they are being coached/instructed to do this or are they lazy and just assume all the parts are from Germany because its a German manufacturer?
A mixture of both. Realistically if a CA or Parts guy at the dealer is telling you its coming from Germany its likely because they're lazy, or they don't want to tell you the truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #102
Garymil64
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestpierre View Post
After the part being on order for almost a month, the KAFAS camera came in and I just dropped it off for replacement and a complete re-programming.

Crossing my fingers that this fixes it and I stop getting that annoying pop up every 5 minutes.
Did it work?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #103
mikestpierre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 - X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garymil64 View Post
Did it work?
Picked up the car yesterday, have not seen any error messages and all the safety features appear to be working properly.

The new software fixed a number of glitches as well! I didn’t even know the reverse camera was supposed to move right/left as you turn the wheel, it was not doing that before.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #104
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestpierre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garymil64 View Post
Did it work?
Picked up the car yesterday, have not seen any error messages and all the safety features appear to be working properly.

The new software fixed a number of glitches as well! I didn’t even know the reverse camera was supposed to move right/left as you turn the wheel, it was not doing that before.
What version are you on now?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #105
mikestpierre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 - X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
What version are you on now?
2019/3.22
Appreciate 1
salfeet84308.00
      03-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #106
mnx5er
Captain
Rep

This issue is really bizarre. My 50i only does in when temps are below freezing. I picked up a loaner while they looked at that and the loaner does it all the time no matter what temp it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #107
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verruckt View Post
A mixture of both. Realistically if a CA or Parts guy at the dealer is telling you its coming from Germany its likely because they're lazy, or they don't want to tell you the truth.
Well, my experience says you are likely right.

1 day after I dropped it off and they stated in would take 2 weeks and the part comes from Germany, I get this: "We found the part needed to repair your BMW and have completed the required repairs. Your vehicle is ready for pickup at your earliest convenience."

HA!

I've had it back 1 day now and everything is fine so far. They also updated software to 2019.3.22
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy12883.50
      03-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #108
Garymil64
Rep

My service advisor told me the kafas were coming from Germany as well, they are going to replace that as well as the upper and lower radiator vents and do the software update when it gets in . The dealer was just going to do the software update and replace the upper vent BMW told them to do the rest.BMW knows about the steering issue in cold weather and is working on an update possibly June or July
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #109
mdjeffery
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i 2019

I had this problem since receiving the car on oct 24th 2018. Took it back to the dealer and they had it for a week and fix the driver assist error and a week later they were back.
Next I took to the the BMW dealer nearer to where in live in LA, they had it for over a week and then told me to take it back to my first BMW dealer that worked on the car.

They have since had the car for 16 days now, and counting. Trying to contact my SA is painful, never returns calls and once a week I'll get a text message stating he'll contact me when there is more to report.

He give me the line that "we are waiting on a part from Germany"....

They did give me a loaner X3 that I'm not allowed to do over 100 miles per day in.

When do you all think I am entitled to pull the 'Lemon Law' car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #110
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

^ You are probably not eligible yet since they are giving you a loaner and could argue it has been a reasonable number of repair attempts. Once they get the KAFAS camera and install it your problem should be taken care of.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring up the Lemon Law and even start the process although by the time it proceeds your car will probably be back in your possession.

Here is the ink to the CA Lemon Law guide.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf
Appreciate 0