BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-16-2023, 08:18 PM   #45
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I have seen worse jobs done but definitely not installed well. It looks like they did a self-cut style job. Which would explain why your edges look so off and uneven. There is a reason why some detailers don't do that, because that happens. Very rarely do installers have an extremely steady hand to make those type of edges look extremely clean. If they explained to you that, they are going curl the edges in so you don't see it, well they did an awful job at it. It doesn't look like they removed the panels either which kills the point of doing what they did.

If you paid 7k for that, you definitely can talk to Xpel directly and ask for a refund through them if you make enough noise and the installer aren't being helpful.

There is a good and negative with pre-cut PPF installs and self-cut installs. Well done self-cut installs are extremely rare and installers who do that still make mistakes (as well as cutting your car on occasion). Pre-cut PPF installs are the safest but it comes with the risk of it not going to the edge, but so long as you protect MOST of your car right at the right places, that is what matters.

So, to answer your question. Yes, that job is pretty bad but I have seen worse.

Edit: Well I showed this to my detailer and he is amazed how bad it is. He is unsure of how they managed to damage your lights during the install and is iffy about damage under your paint. Meaning they could have damaged your paint but you won’t know until the Stealth PPF comes off. Most Stealth PPF installs do require hand trimming but this is particularly bad. They did this car in bulk install, meaning they had multiple cars doing PPF at the same time so they weren’t too careful.

Get your money back or talk to Xpel directly.
      02-16-2023, 09:42 PM   #46
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

I have a reputable guy. He does plenty of high end stuff and he’s done work for my BMW store.

Pm if you want his info.
      02-17-2023, 05:06 PM   #47
RED99HT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 M850i

Sorry to see this happen! I would have never paid the man if that was my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 05:51 PM   #48
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

I avoid precuts. 100% the edges will collect dirt and peel within 1 year. Precuts are done cos they save the installer a ton of time which allows them to price the job lower.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 04:01 PM   #49
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I avoid precuts. 100% the edges will collect dirt and peel within 1 year.
Not my experience at all across several cars. I must be getting quality installation work.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 06:05 PM   #50
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Thought I’d add this image… This cut/alignment seems bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:19 PM   #51
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Those pics are really bad….like they didn’t even try to do it right at all. A really good job will be tucked under all painted panels so you can’t even tell at a glance. I wish you luck with a satisfactory resolution. Did you post a review? Might be helpful to the community to post the business name so that others can steer clear.

There definitely is a real art to a proper PPF job. Those folks ain’t artisans ��
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #52
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I avoid precuts. 100% the edges will collect dirt and peel within 1 year. Precuts are done cos they save the installer a ton of time which allows them to price the job lower.
And if the job is self-trim/cut, it will peel just as fast. Just because it is a self-trim/cut and fold, it doesn't mean it won't collect dust, just because you don't see it doesn't mean the imperfections aren't there. You just don't see it. I don't know where you get that from. If they end up needing to re-do the job, they lose out just as much if they pre-cut or not.

It is the same thing. A good PPF job will show it self. Regardless of what you believe. I have seen both and I have had both. If you want your detailer to take apart all of your car just to fold the ppf into the car, only for it to peel after is up to you. Then they will trim it anyway, which ends up being the same thing. I can also almost guarantee you no self-trim will be perfect because all of the cut lines are going to be uneven to some degree.

They trim, they can damage your car, cut your paint and peel after. Which they trim away the excess part anyway.

If it is a pre-cut, it can be extremely close, it can be far off. Edges can have dust.

If you have a good detailer, that stands by his/her work then that is all that it matters. If you point out something is bad or off, they are willing to re-do and fix it. Then that is what matters. It isn't about pre-cut or non pre-cut. It is about the detailer and installer. THAT is what matters. PPF is there to protect your car, that is the primary objective. If you don't want to see the PPF, then don't do PPF and just do coating. It don't do jack against your paint being hit by pebbles or hit, but it will look great (if you know how to wash the car properly). Not to mention, most detailers/installers that "self-trim" will use pre-cut at some areas, they just never tell you. Most are the doors or big pieces that are universal. They just never tell you.

I been around a lot, a lot of detailers and all the very good ones are very upfront about how they do things.

Last edited by Arcades; 02-19-2023 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
skyline4081573.50
      03-28-2023, 08:53 PM   #53
5_chill
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp XDrive, M5 Comp

Car looked better without it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #54
5_chill
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp XDrive, M5 Comp

Looks like they were using your car to learn how to apply PPF.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 11:14 AM   #55
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post
Those pics are really bad….like they didn’t even try to do it right at all. A really good job will be tucked under all painted panels so you can’t even tell at a glance. I wish you luck with a satisfactory resolution. Did you post a review? Might be helpful to the community to post the business name so that others can steer clear.

There definitely is a real art to a proper PPF job. Those folks ain’t artisans ��
I would only start posting negative reviews after the OP has a resolution and reimbursement.

In addition, if the OP paid by credit card, he shouldn’t hesitate to dispute the amount. By doing so this will put some pressure on the shop to settle the matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 11:20 AM   #56
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In addition, if this is a certified XPEL shop, they would’ve given you the 10 year warranty documents when the job was completed. The OP may wish to contact XPEL directly if this was the case and see what his options are through them.

https://www.xpel.com/warranty-information
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 12:07 PM   #57
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
And if the job is self-trim/cut, it will peel just as fast. Just because it is a self-trim/cut and fold, it doesn't mean it won't collect dust, just because you don't see it doesn't mean the imperfections aren't there. You just don't see it. I don't know where you get that from. If they end up needing to re-do the job, they lose out just as much if they pre-cut or not.

It is the same thing. A good PPF job will show it self. Regardless of what you believe. I have seen both and I have had both. If you want your detailer to take apart all of your car just to fold the ppf into the car, only for it to peel after is up to you. Then they will trim it anyway, which ends up being the same thing. I can also almost guarantee you no self-trim will be perfect because all of the cut lines are going to be uneven to some degree.

They trim, they can damage your car, cut your paint and peel after. Which they trim away the excess part anyway.

If it is a pre-cut, it can be extremely close, it can be far off. Edges can have dust.

If you have a good detailer, that stands by his/her work then that is all that it matters. If you point out something is bad or off, they are willing to re-do and fix it. Then that is what matters. It isn't about pre-cut or non pre-cut. It is about the detailer and installer. THAT is what matters. PPF is there to protect your car, that is the primary objective. If you don't want to see the PPF, then don't do PPF and just do coating. It don't do jack against your paint being hit by pebbles or hit, but it will look great (if you know how to wash the car properly). Not to mention, most detailers/installers that "self-trim" will use pre-cut at some areas, they just never tell you. Most are the doors or big pieces that are universal. They just never tell you.

I been around a lot, a lot of detailers and all the very good ones are very upfront about how they do things.
100%!

When I get PPF for my car, I don't expect it to be completely invisible and perfect - that's just not reasonable IMO. I'm also one of the few who prefer you don't take apart the car to PPF. When I had my doors done, the installer told me they would remove the handles, and I said I prefer that they didn't do that, and they warned me there would be a thin line of no PPF inside the door handle - I was absolutely fine with that. As Arcades above mentioned, communication on how things are done is the key!

I've been to my current installer twice now with 2 different cars, I've only had to take one car back for a bubble that formed in the trunk at the seam where rain collected. They took it back, fixed it and I was on my way.

A quality job will definitely show itself, but expecting the PPF to be completely invisible and perfect on the whole car when you're inspecting closely is never gonna happen. To me as long as it's good quality job and the installer stands by their work, i'm OK with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 07:16 PM   #58
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
100%!

When I get PPF for my car, I don't expect it to be completely invisible and perfect - that's just not reasonable IMO. I'm also one of the few who prefer you don't take apart the car to PPF. When I had my doors done, the installer told me they would remove the handles, and I said I prefer that they didn't do that, and they warned me there would be a thin line of no PPF inside the door handle - I was absolutely fine with that. As Arcades above mentioned, communication on how things are done is the key!

I've been to my current installer twice now with 2 different cars, I've only had to take one car back for a bubble that formed in the trunk at the seam where rain collected. They took it back, fixed it and I was on my way.

A quality job will definitely show itself, but expecting the PPF to be completely invisible and perfect on the whole car when you're inspecting closely is never gonna happen. To me as long as it's good quality job and the installer stands by their work, i'm OK with it.
My shop has been doing this for years and always removes the handles. I had seen him working on many cars and felt completely comfortable with him doing it. He did advise me in the beginning that this was his process. He also warned in in that there would be a very fine line in the trunk lid where the spoiler’s curve is located. You have to look really close to see where the two sections of PPF meet.

Here is a picture of my friend’s M3 Competition being worked on with the handles off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 09:26 PM   #59
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Amateur hour at its worst. Did you research the shop beforehand? Did they have good reviews?
      03-29-2023, 09:32 PM   #60
jimmyf90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
In addition, if this is a certified XPEL shop, they would’ve given you the 10 year warranty documents when the job was completed. The OP may wish to contact XPEL directly if this was the case and see what his options are through them.

https://www.xpel.com/warranty-information
They claim it was Llumar but never gave papers just an invoice with a line that says warranty on file.

They do this new PPF called Legend and I have suspicions that’s actually what was put on the car.
Appreciate 0