BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2023, 11:47 AM   #23
dylansauers3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
This thread is about LCI headlights. Let’s stick to the topic.
Yes sir. Mine auto level and have the anti-dazzle highbeams but don’t turn. Unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 11:48 AM   #24
dylansauers3
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Can someone with LCI full LED confirm the “adaptive” feature (steering responsive headlights)? If bmw take this one away, it is low blow. We have it since 2009 1 series, and even a $25k Subaru Impreza has as standards. It is one is the most useful safety features
Yes they do not turn anymore it is really stupid of bmw. They will probably bring it back on the 2025 model leaving us with the crap ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 12:24 AM   #25
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansauers3 View Post
Yes they do not turn anymore it is really stupid of bmw. They will probably bring it back on the 2025 model leaving us with the crap ones.
LCI is scheduled to end production in July of 2026 after which a new X5 generation is expected. So, I doubt BMW will make any changes to the headlights for the next 3 years.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 02:18 AM   #26
coolcat0304
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Headlights are truly disappointing in terms of raw specifications. Another cost cutting measure I presume.

Only the high beams swerve now (for vehicles equipped with the Adaptive LEDs).

There is also only around a dozen of LED modules per headlight, so the resolution of the anti-dazzle feature is not good.

Definitely can't compare to MB's offerings. If you want best of class headlights go for MB.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 04:24 AM   #27
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat0304 View Post
Headlights are truly disappointing in terms of raw specifications. Another cost cutting measure I presume.

There is also only around a dozen of LED modules per headlight, so the resolution of the anti-dazzle feature is not good.

Definitely can't compare to MB's offerings. If you want best of class headlights go for MB.
I have had a GLE450 with adaptive lights and a G05 40i and M50i with laser lights and they are both as good as each other, neither is better.
This is in the UK may be different in US.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:41 AM   #28
dylansauers3
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat0304 View Post

Yeah I noticed that they do turn a little bit when I have the auto high beams active. I also compared them to my 21’ X7 with the regular LEDs and the beam on the LCI seems to a be a bit wider so maybe they thought the turning of the lights weren’t necessary anymore but it still is stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:07 AM   #29
coolcat0304
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: honda civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I have had a GLE450 with adaptive lights and a G05 40i and M50i with laser lights and they are both as good as each other, neither is better.
This is in the UK may be different in US.
I'm talking about the LCI model (which no longer has laser headlights) and comparing the latest generation of headlights offered by both companies.

Digital Light offered by MB are on another league.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:55 AM   #30
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

I drove the LCI model (EU version) in the dark last night. The lights do not turn at all which feels strange after driving BMW's with adaptive, turning headlights for over 10 years.

On the other hand, I felt the high beams were probably lighting up a wider area than the pre-LCI lights. At least the bushes on both sides of the (narrowish) road were lit up. The high beam range seemed ok, but not as long as that of the laser lights. I would need to drive both cars and compare them (the last time I drove my car in the dark was last winter

The adaptive functionality was similar to pre-LCI when meeting oncoming traffic - a dark spot was created around the oncoming car.

I still feel the new headlights are a step backward.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:42 PM   #31
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansauers3 View Post
My LCI has cornering lights as part of the premium package. In the configurator, it’s called “Full LED Lights with Cornering Lights”. From my few experiences using it, it appears to be a separate light that turns on or off depending on how sharp you turn. The laser lights in my M340i work better, but it essentially achieves the same goal of lighting up the darkness you’re turning into and I doubt they’ll cost $4-5k per light to replace when they eventually break out of warranty. At the end of the day, I’m okay with this if it means less complexity and a cheaper replacement cost.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:39 PM   #32
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
My LCI has cornering lights as part of the premium package. In the configurator, it’s called “Full LED Lights with Cornering Lights”. From my few experiences using it, it appears to be a separate light that turns on or off depending on how sharp you turn. The laser lights in my M340i work better, but it essentially achieves the same goal of lighting up the darkness you’re turning into and I doubt they’ll cost $4-5k per light to replace when they eventually break out of warranty. At the end of the day, I’m okay with this if it means less complexity and a cheaper replacement cost.
Look on the inside of the headlight, the area circled in the picture is the Cornering Light. Your Owner's Manual will have information about the function of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Giggler408.00
      08-16-2023, 08:50 AM   #33
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Agree, personally, I prefer 'no moving part' design in headlight, less error prone theoretically.

As per Laser, it is always couple of thousands option, not sure if BMW will slowly add it back or just permanently move away from it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:25 AM   #34
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdah View Post
Agree, personally, I prefer 'no moving part' design in headlight, less error prone theoretically.

As per Laser, it is always couple of thousands option, not sure if BMW will slowly add it back or just permanently move away from it.
I think the M340i with executive package is a perfect example. A 4 year old example with 48K miles is worth $35K on a good day, but realistically could sell for as low as $30K. The laser lights as a repair item at ~$10K parts+labor is worth more than 30% of the car’s value! There are probably traffic accident scenarios where you might have to total the car simply because of the laser lights. So how much sense does it make to put them in lower end models priced below 100K? They might be moving away from them because of insurance and demographic concerns. I still don’t understand how or why you can option them for a few thousand and then pay 5x that much to replace them. Maybe BMW was losing money on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #35
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

The moving part inside headlights are still there, right? The auto level feature. The steering response part, they were there since early 2000s. Subaru has it as standard in $25k car. I don’t know, is it necessary, absolutely not, it is a good safety feature if you ask me. The entire idea X5 isn’t necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #36
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
The moving part inside headlights are still there, right? The auto level feature. The steering response part, they were there since early 2000s. Subaru has it as standard in $25k car. I don’t know, is it necessary, absolutely not, it is a good safety feature if you ask me. The entire idea X5 isn’t necessary.
I am generally talking about the same quality level components. eg. an iphone with fixed cameras vesus an android phone that has a fancy up & down cameras.

I wouldn't consider $25k subaru's headlight is superior only because it can move up & down.

Again, I am just saying that I prefer 'no moving part' design philosophy that can achieve at least similar level if not better of performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:52 AM   #37
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
I think the M340i with executive package is a perfect example. A 4 year old example with 48K miles is worth $35K on a good day, but realistically could sell for as low as $30K. The laser lights as a repair item at ~$10K parts+labor is worth more than 30% of the car’s value! There are probably traffic accident scenarios where you might have to total the car simply because of the laser lights. So how much sense does it make to put them in lower end models priced below 100K? They might be moving away from them because of insurance and demographic concerns. I still don’t understand how or why you can option them for a few thousand and then pay 5x that much to replace them. Maybe BMW was losing money on them.
Nobody is paying $10k to replace headlights like that--they're available on the used market for less than $1k each, which is a pretty normal price for modern headlights.
      08-16-2023, 11:14 AM   #38
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdah View Post
I am generally talking about the same quality level components. eg. an iphone with fixed cameras vesus an android phone that has a fancy up & down cameras.

I wouldn't consider $25k subaru's headlight is superior only because it can move up & down.

Again, I am just saying that I prefer 'no moving part' design philosophy that can achieve at least similar level if not better of performance.
You will be surprised how good Subaru forester’s headlight is. Back to back between that vs MY22 laser headlights, I hate to say, forester illuminates better. This gen of bmw headlights are NOT better than competitors or non competitors. Not worse, but certainly not better, average

I however do agree les moving part is better. But I would first ditch active shutter grille, sunroof.
Appreciate 1
realdah57.00
      08-16-2023, 05:34 PM   #39
Giggler
Banned
Rep

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Nobody is paying $10k to replace headlights like that--they're available on the used market for less than $1k each, which is a pretty normal price for modern headlights.

And I was talking about repairing/replacing new OEM through insurance so don’t know exactly what your point is. So for those of us who pay into insurance because we want to use insurance, you’re getting quoted for a new OEM part and you’re paying the catalog price.

Last edited by Giggler; 08-16-2023 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 10:19 AM   #40
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
And I was talking about repairing/replacing new OEM through insurance so don’t know exactly what your point is. So for those of us who pay into insurance because we want to use insurance, you’re getting quoted for a new OEM part and you’re paying the catalog price.
A headlight replacement being covered by your insurance company doesn't automatically mean that you will receive brand new parts.