BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2024, 11:22 PM   #1
Justaguywholikescars
Registered
Rep
Drives: 21’ X5M50i

M50i hesitation when floored

When test driving several M50i’s they seemed to launch when floored (unlike the SQ8). I finally purchased a 2021 and it seems to respond much like the Audi, notable hesitation followed by a nice spooling up of the turbos. I also notice this lag whenever I let off the gas slowing down to make a 90 degree turn and then floor it. I would say it acts like an intake manifold vacuum leak on an old carburetor car.

Anybody else notice this or have this problem with theirs?

It has 42k miles and new air filters, but likely original spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:44 PM   #2
Justaguywholikescars
Registered
Rep

Also, Sports mode on/off doesn’t matter, it’s just flat when floored.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 09:35 AM   #3
1Boxer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I've noticed this as well and brought it to the dealer who didn't find any issues. After driving it a while longer and paying a little more attention, it has something to do with the transmission getting confused during downshifts and then when you hit the gas, it seems to be stuck in a higher gear than what you would expect to be in when coming out of a turn. I only noticed this when I put the shifter in Sport mode and I can see what gear the transmission is in during driving. I can duplicate this every time by coasting to an almost stop and stomping on the gas, like at the metering lights on the freeways, and it happens every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 10:30 PM   #4
Justaguywholikescars
Registered
Rep

Thanks for chiming in with some input. Mine will do this from a complete standstill as well, does yours? I floor it and wait 1.5-2 seconds
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:04 AM   #5
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguywholikescars View Post
Thanks for chiming in with some input. Mine will do this from a complete standstill as well, does yours? I floor it and wait 1.5-2 seconds
I’ll try what you’ve described above (under conditions safe conditions of course). It’s been awhile. I’m running the carbahn piggy back tune so it may/may not make a difference, haha. Hopefully it will.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 10:51 PM   #6
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguywholikescars View Post
Ok, when in sport mode and in the proper gear, throttle response was without delay. Now, if I remove my foot from the gas and coast or apply regular gas peddle pressure and suddenly throw my foot down…there is a delay as the vehicle shifts down for the proper gear.

I can live with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 11:10 PM   #7
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM50I View Post
Ok, when in sport mode and in the proper gear, throttle response was without delay. Now, if I remove my foot from the gas and coast or apply regular gas peddle pressure and suddenly throw my foot down…there is a delay as the vehicle shifts down for the proper gear.

I can live with it.
This is totally normal with any car, mine is the exact same.

OP, when you floor it, are you in a higher coasting gear?

Edit: OP, I just read one of your replies. You mentioned, from a standstill/complete stop, you get a 1.5-2s lag before your car accelerates even though you fully depress the gas pedal? If that is the case, it’s definitely not normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 05:10 AM   #8
stevebonny
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boxer View Post
I've noticed this as well and brought it to the dealer who didn't find any issues. After driving it a while longer and paying a little more attention, it has something to do with the transmission getting confused during downshifts and then when you hit the gas, it seems to be stuck in a higher gear than what you would expect to be in when coming out of a turn. I only noticed this when I put the shifter in Sport mode and I can see what gear the transmission is in during driving. I can duplicate this every time by coasting to an almost stop and stomping on the gas, like at the metering lights on the freeways, and it happens every time Instaup apk.
It has 42k miles and new air filters, but likely original spark plugs.
Appreciate 0