BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-07-2024, 11:22 AM   #199
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamroopK View Post
I had 42,500KM = 26408.276 Miles. I do regular maintenance with BMW because the previous owner bought an extended maintenance package. When taking it in for an Oil change they mentioned that I needed to change brake pads. They didn't say I needed to change it right away and I should keep an eye on it.

I got the interval warning on my dash saying my brake service is needed at 3,500KM. After removing the old brake pads I had about 4mm left - I decided to change it cause it was the brake noise I couldn't deal with.
Wow, that is low mileage to need brakes. They must have two footed or something unless heavy city driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:25 AM   #200
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
I used Bimmerlink to put the rear parking brake in service mode - compressed the piston (not rotating it), the piston retracted super easy!!!!.

I had more success with the rear than I did with the fronts. The fronts I spent more time trying to find ways to turn the opening of the M-sport caliper to face me (working out of my parking garage with only 1 jack). Also trying to get the old pads off with the sticking part was such a pain. This took so much time and a lot of effort.
Thanks. I think I need to watch some tutorials on bimmerlink, as I have no clue what it is or how to use it!

Front brakes - I briefly tried to remove my pads as well, and same thing, they were totally stuck. I thought I was missing something, that they must be held on by something I couldn't see, lol. I gave up as I was scared of breaking something. How did you get yours off?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:28 AM   #201
RamroopK
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Wow, that is low mileage to need brakes. They must have two footed or something unless heavy city driving.
I thought the exact same thing!!!! The previous owner hardly drove it. Lets see how long the posi-quiet lasts.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:39 AM   #202
RamroopK
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Thanks. I think I need to watch some tutorials on bimmerlink, as I have no clue what it is or how to use it!

Front brakes - I briefly tried to remove my pads as well, and same thing, they were totally stuck. I thought I was missing something, that they must be held on by something I couldn't see, lol. I gave up as I was scared of breaking something. How did you get yours off?
I would love to help in anyway I can!!! BimmerLink is super simple to use, I would say BimmerCode can get more complex but BimmerLink, you just hook up to your vehicle, push the activity you want to perform and wait for it. We can probably find a way that I can show you virtually

Oh boy, the front pads, I performed multiple ways. My go to was a pry bar but I was being super careful not to damage the painted calipers and the pistons....Now that those suckers are out, I will be able to replace the front more easily as the Posi-Quiet don't have the sticky backing....This is why I think the pads move slightly when switching from Drive to reverse. The original pads would stay in place because of the adhesive.

Boy....My wheels and calipers do stay so much cleaner. We've haven't had a lot of snow in Ontario.....Earlier in the 2024 we did have a lot of slush and dirty water but my calipers still look Blue (not black) and my wheels look clean. They are dirty - don't get me wrong - but I always say, you can wash your vehicle and polish the paint all you want, but if the wheels haven't been cleaned, your car still looks dirty .

Let me know if you want to connect for BimmerLink... If you have everything you can actually practice. You can park your vehicle, plug in BimmerLink, keep your EBK off, use BimmerLink to retract the parking brake, you can hear it retracting....wait 2 mins and turn off the service and you will hear it engage again. After doing so, turn on your EBC, pump the brake pedal a few times to get it hard and you should be able to drive off.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:56 AM   #203
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would love to help in anyway I can!!! BimmerLink is super simple to use, I would say BimmerCode can get more complex but BimmerLink, you just hook up to your vehicle, push the activity you want to perform and wait for it. We can probably find a way that I can show you virtually

Oh boy, the front pads, I performed multiple ways. My go to was a pry bar but I was being super careful not to damage the painted calipers and the pistons....Now that those suckers are out, I will be able to replace the front more easily as the Posi-Quiet don't have the sticky backing....This is why I think the pads move slightly when switching from Drive to reverse. The original pads would stay in place because of the adhesive.

Boy....My wheels and calipers do stay so much cleaner. We've haven't had a lot of snow in Ontario.....Earlier in the 2024 we did have a lot of slush and dirty water but my calipers still look Blue (not black) and my wheels look clean. They are dirty - don't get me wrong - but I always say, you can wash your vehicle and polish the paint all you want, but if the wheels haven't been cleaned, your car still looks dirty .

Let me know if you want to connect for BimmerLink... If you have everything you can actually practice. You can park your vehicle, plug in BimmerLink, keep your EBK off, use BimmerLink to retract the parking brake, you can hear it retracting....wait 2 mins and turn off the service and you will hear it engage again. After doing so, turn on your EBC, pump the brake pedal a few times to get it hard and you should be able to drive off.

Thanks, I may take you up on that in the not too distant future. I was having a hell of a time with my brakes for a while, rotors were warping etc (documented in a couple threads by me on here). In the end we think it was caused by the particular aftermarket rims I was using. I'm now on BMW brand wheels and -hopefully- won't need to actually do brake work again for a little while. Current pads and rotors have roughly 20k km's on them.

For now, can you tell me the specific bimmerlink device you used?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:00 PM   #204
RamroopK
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Thanks, I may take you up on that in the not too distant future. I was having a hell of a time with my brakes for a while, rotors were warping etc (documented in a couple threads by me on here). In the end we think it was caused by the particular aftermarket rims I was using. I'm now on BMW brand wheels and -hopefully- won't need to actually do brake work again for a little while. Current pads and rotors have roughly 20k km's on them.

For now, can you tell me the specific bimmerlink device you used?

Thanks!
Yeah no worries. I'm here when you need it.

I used the bimmerLink on my android device and I have the vLinker BM+ OBD.

What did you use for after market rotors? The same as the pads?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:31 PM   #205
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah no worries. I'm here when you need it.

I used the bimmerLink on my android device and I have the vLinker BM+ OBD.

What did you use for after market rotors? The same as the pads?
Well.........

- Issues started early on in winter, around Jan 2023 I think. They first thought it was simply due to 'witness marks', so they started by turning/machining the stock rotors.

- Prob came back within a few weeks

- Turned rotors again and tried new aftermarket pads at my expense, thinking that maybe the original pads were contaminated.

- New pads squishy. Told them to just make it right, lol. They got BMW Canada to agree to replace rotors and pads with new BMW parts. This happened to be around the time when I was due to put my stock BMW wheels back on for spring.

- Brakes were fine until shortly into winter this year. BMW determined that it was likely caused by aftermarket winter wheels I was using. Also turns out another forum member had same issue as me, with exact same aftermarket wheels (Art Replica 181's).

- Turned/machined rotors, kept the current stock pads on, paid 6500 or so for a 20" set of BMW winter wheels/tires. Have had them a couple weeks now, hoping the issues stay away...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:57 AM   #206
gray_speedster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Brembo Nao Ceramic Front/Rear are now available. Has anyone tried them?

Rear: P06101N
Front: P06106N
I just got the Brembo’s and will be installing them this coming weekend. Had initially ordered the Posi Quiet’s and ended up returning based on the condition they showed up in. The Brembo’s come in great packaging and the fronts have the sticky back, so that should remove the clicking issues.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 09:44 PM   #207
SeattleLSB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, M50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_speedster View Post
I just got the Brembo’s and will be installing them this coming weekend. Had initially ordered the Posi Quiet’s and ended up returning based on the condition they showed up in. The Brembo’s come in great packaging and the fronts have the sticky back, so that should remove the clicking issues.
Let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:06 PM   #208
gray_speedster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
Let us know how it goes!
So far they have been great! No clicking on the fronts. Brake dust has been reduced by about 90%. Calipers staying clean as well. Really like the red backing on the Brembos and how they are a nice contrast against the blue calipers in the rear. You can see the red. As far as performance, they don’t feel any different to me than what I had.

I do have a set of Posi Quiet’s for sale. The seller sent me a second set to try and make it right, but the Brembos won me over.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2090128
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:14 PM   #209
SeattleLSB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, M50I

[QUOTE="gray_speedster;31030354"]Nice how is the initial bite?

So far they have been great! No clicking on the fronts. Brake dust has been reduced by about 90%. Calipers staying clean as well. Really like the red backing on the Brembos and how they are a nice contrast against the blue calipers in the rear. You can see the red. As far as performance, they don’t feel any different to me than what I had.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 04:15 PM   #210
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

i put the brembo NAO pads on my X7 back in November. quiet, almost no dust, and bite just slightly lower than stock. only hiccup i ran into is i swapped the pad position on one side in the rear and ended up with a rust ring because the pad wasnt making full contact (there is an inside pad and an outside pad). fixing the pad orientation and a few hard stops all is well again.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 07:20 PM   #211
cesimeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 MSport, 2018 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Probably missing it but does anyone have a torque spec for the M12 front and rear caliper bolts on a 40i with MSport Brakes?

ISTA PDF procedure would be even better.

Thx