beerman80
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman80 View Post
I think I know exactly what you are talking about. My 2018 M550i has steering assist that keeps me centered in the lane and will steer the car around curves. It is also independent of my active cruise control as I often turn it on without using cruise control and it stays on whether I brake or not.
I see exactly what your saying. Perhaps it would have been better to clarify that this feature option has absolutely nothing to do with "Cruise Control". From what you are saying this feature was just what you and the manual are describing. "Steering Assist" NOT cruise control.

This must have been a separate function which was activated with a separate button. Do you happen to have a picture of the button that activates this feature on your M550i? That might help clarify it for others and avoid the dark path this post has traveled down.

It's probably a moot point now as this option is apparently no longer a feature/option on the current generation of BMW X5/X7s.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, it seemed like this is what M50iMWGuy was saying his X3M had and wished it was available on his X5? On my car it is called "Steering and lane control assistant" and is independent of the cruise control(although it says in the manual it also uses the radar sensors).

Below is a pic of my steering wheel, it's the button in on the top left.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #46
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, it seemed like this is what M50iMWGuy was saying his X3M had and wished it was available on his X5? On my car it is called "Steering and lane control assistant" and is independent of the cruise control(although it says in the manual it also uses the radar sensors).

You hit the nail on the head. With my previous BMW X3M, you could enable "Steering assist" independently of cruise control via the button shown in your pic. Steering assist would not "disable" when the brakes were pressed.

With my 2021 X5 M50i, this is no longer the case. The button to enable "Steering assist" is the same button that is used to enable cruise control (which, you can then set to two modes -- distance control or assisted driving). Steering assist (and all other functions enabled by that button) is then disabled when the brakes are pressed.

This post covers it (and shows the buttons):

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1686569

And, to be perfectly clear here, this is not the lane departure warning feature that is part of the Intelligent Safety system.

Man, I promise I am just trying to learn here. I am no expert, but dang, I feel a bit beat up and bruised today. I promise I am the first one to admit my mistakes, and if I am missing a button, or setting, or something glaringly obvious here, please let me know ;-)

(ducks for cover)
Appreciate 2
ifr1198.00
      01-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #47
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
You hit the nail on the head. With my previous BMW X3M, you could enable "Steering assist" independently of cruise control via the button shown in your pic. Steering assist would not "disable" when the brakes were pressed.

With my 2021 X5 M50i, this is no longer the case. The button to enable "Steering assist" is the same button that is used to enable cruise control (which, you can then set to two modes -- distance control or assisted driving). Steering assist (and all other functions enabled by that button) is then disabled when the brakes are pressed.

And, to be perfectly clear here, this is not the lane departure warning feature that is part of the Intelligent Safety system.

Man, I promise I am just trying to learn here. I am no expert, but dang, I feel a bit beat up and bruised today. I promise I am the first one to admit my mistakes, and if I am missing a button, or setting, or something glaringly obvious here, please let me know ;-)

(ducks for cover)
It's all gotten a bit confusing, but I don't think it's ever been possible, on modern BMW, to engage steering assist without cruise also active, regardless of the method required to activate the steering assistant. I could have missed a generation of drive assist where it behaved that way. I've had F10, F15, G05 recently.

The car does not control the steering without also controlling the speed/distance. The converse is not true.

You might not actually be making that point, so apologies if that is not the case, but that is my interpretation.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #48
beerman80
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M50iMWGuy View Post
Quote:

(ducks for cover)
I do not think I would like that system. I love the fact that I have one button that turns on my steering assist, another that turns on my active cruise control, and that I can use either independent of one another. Was this something that changed when idrive 7 was introduced?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #49
BrummyGit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Good assessment!

I feel this too but on the left-side as I am in the UK. When I check the mirrors it does in-fact appear central, it's just that you can't judge the far-side of the vehicle as well as the near-side.
I have searched back for this thread because I am finding the same effect on my UK car. I would say looking in the mirrors I am slightly offset to the left in my lane, but not significantly so. However, I feel too close and my passenger has also been concerned a couple of times at how close we are passing slower moving vehicles - particular wider ones such as lorries and towed caravans.

My car is running 03/2021.40 software.

Has anyone spoken with BMW about this to know if it can be recalibrated at all? My car has to go in for another issue next week and I'm wondering if I can get anything done while it's in?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #50
fndrplayer13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e / 2018 Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyGit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Good assessment!

I feel this too but on the left-side as I am in the UK. When I check the mirrors it does in-fact appear central, it's just that you can't judge the far-side of the vehicle as well as the near-side.
I have searched back for this thread because I am finding the same effect on my UK car. I would say looking in the mirrors I am slightly offset to the left in my lane, but not significantly so. However, I feel too close and my passenger has also been concerned a couple of times at how close we are passing slower moving vehicles - particular wider ones such as lorries and towed caravans.

My car is running 03/2021.40 software.

Has anyone spoken with BMW about this to know if it can be recalibrated at all? My car has to go in for another issue next week and I'm wondering if I can get anything done while it's in?
I get this same effect in my model 3. It's just disconcerting because we're used to driving closer to one side of the lane.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      06-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #51
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

ACC Sudden Deceleration

I have had my 2021 X5 45e do a strange thing several times while driving in ACC without steering assist. While driving on a divided, non-freeway highway with ACC (speed and distance control) on, when I signal and then change lanes it has rapidly slowed down for a second or two in the new lane before accelerating back to the set speed. This has been with and without a car ahead in the new lane. I have also noticed at times a split arrow displayed on the console like it's telling me it doesn't know which lane to be in.

I'm not sure what I am doing to trigger this rapid deceleration, but I and the car coming up behind me do not appreciate it. Any ideas or suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #52
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
I have had my 2021 X5 45e do a strange thing several times while driving in ACC without steering assist. While driving on a divided, non-freeway highway with ACC (speed and distance control) on, when I signal and then change lanes it has rapidly slowed down for a second or two in the new lane before accelerating back to the set speed. This has been with and without a car ahead in the new lane. I have also noticed at times a split arrow displayed on the console like it's telling me it doesn't know which lane to be in.

I'm not sure what I am doing to trigger this rapid deceleration, but I and the car coming up behind me do not appreciate it. Any ideas or suggestions?
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I've noticed mine decelerate a few times when I'm about to miss my exit with the navigation active. Could that be it?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #53
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post

This doesn’t seem to be your case but my car at times gets confused and decelerates if the car in front of me changes lanes and slows down (think left hand turn lane at a light). Even though my lane ahead is now clear it still sees the car next to me as stopped and slows down, sometimes hard. This doesn’t happen often but now when I see those situations arising, I’m prepared to take over control.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #54
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I could be incorrect, but AFAIK BMW only offers rear cross-traffic alert, rear park distance control, and rear automatic emergency braking.

However, BMW increases the seatbelt tension soon after you start driving, therefore IMO it is equivalent of Audi. BMW also preps the car if it senses imminent accident; for example changing settings for pano-roof, windows etc.
“rear cross-traffic alert” sucks.
I’m sure my truck is fine, but i’m yet to hear a single beep or forced brake when backing off from the parking lot or my own driveway.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #55
badlandsusa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Does driver assist recognize traffic lights?

Hey guys,

I have been testing out the driver-assist pro, which is pretty awesome but I notice one thing.

When in traffic, it works fine but if I am behind a vehicle that makes it through a red light, my X6 does not seem to detect the red light and continues to accelerate behind the vehicle in front.

So I am wondering if there is a setting that needs to be enabled or if traffic light detection is not supported currently?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #56
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlandsusa View Post
Hey guys,

I have been testing out the driver-assist pro, which is pretty awesome but I notice one thing.

When in traffic, it works fine but if I am behind a vehicle that makes it through a red light, my X6 does not seem to detect the red light and continues to accelerate behind the vehicle in front.

So I am wondering if there is a setting that needs to be enabled or if traffic light detection is not supported currently?
Yes it can be enabled in settings, in the UK you can enable it but oddly if I do it tells me it is not available.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #57
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlandsusa View Post
Hey guys,

It is not available in the US.
      07-02-2022, 04:59 AM   #58
yoshi838
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Then you missed it because lane assist, steering you back into the lane, certainly works without cruise being enabled.

As mentioned before, you are expecting a feature that doesn’t exist.

I suggest going to your dealer and have the genius explain the systems to you. Your description of the X3M is likely also incorrect.
Hi TurtleBoy, I think you are missing what M50iMWGuy was referring to.

I had a G30 (2017 540i) and I was able to activate ONLY steering assist (on top of always-on lane departure warning/assist) and I enjoyed using it when my hands are sometimes busy. This is consistent with what M50iMWGuy mentioned, that an older X3M has it but no longer on the G05.

In my current G07, I too find the standalone steering assist no longer available and if I had known it (that BMW has gone backwards), I would not have picked up the G07 at all because the car I traded it in (a Genesis) had it as a standalone and I continued to use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #59
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi838 View Post
In my current G07, I too find the standalone steering assist no longer available and if I had known it (that BMW has gone backwards), I would not have picked up the G07 at all because the car I traded it in (a Genesis) had it as a standalone and I continued to use it.
I found this annoying as well, fwiw; my '17 Acura had independent lane keeping assist which you could activate, and would steer to keep you in lane without cruise control enabled.

As I've noted on another thread, you can "fake it" by activating cruise control with steering assist, then manually reducing the cruise speed (via buttons on the wheel) to something significantly lower than you actual speed. Since cruise with steering assist will not disable with additional speed/throttle, this will effectively give you just steering assist (although if you ever brake, you'll need to hit Resume to re-enable). It's a pain, though.

Personally, I've found that the disengagement rate, combined with the "random swerve" rate, while both not super frequent (maybe once an hour for each with current software), are disconcerting enough that I generally don't use the system. I find there's more tension for me to worry about reacting when the system "goes nuts", than the tension from actually driving the whole time. Plus, with the way it's designed, you need to make fairly constant and significant steering inputs anyway even if the system is engaged, or it will disengage in a dangerous manner, so you're stuck babysitting it anyway. All in all, for me, this current generation of system for BMW is just not very useful/good at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:39 AM   #60
electron
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Here’s my observation in a 45e with DAP.
The lane keeping assist works without the adaptive cruise control.
It does seem to only come on above a certain speed (35-40mph, sorry didn’t read the manual), and there’s an indicator in the dash, top left corner. It will perform corrective action when it detects the car is crossing the lane.
Pressing the “steering” button on the steering wheel will activate adaptive cruise with the lane keep assist as well
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #61
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
Here’s my observation in a 45e with DAP.
It does seem to only come on above a certain speed (35-40mph, sorry didn’t read the manual), and there’s an indicator in the dash, top left corner. It will perform corrective action when it detects the car is crossing the lane.
Pressing the “steering” button on the steering wheel will activate adaptive cruise with the lane keep assist as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
Here's my observation in a 45e with DAP.
It does seem to only come on above a certain speed (35-40mph, sorry didn't read the manual), and there's an indicator in the dash, top left corner. It will perform corrective action when it detects the car is crossing the lane.
Pressing the "steering" button on the steering wheel will activate adaptive cruise with the lane keep assist as well
I think what you're describing here is lane departure warning with steering intervention. I think the discussion above is more about steering assist in the DAP. Different thing alltogether.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #62
sigmabody
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
I think what you're describing here is lane departure warning with steering intervention. I think the discussion above is more about steering assist in the DAP. Different thing alltogether.
Second this: there is a separate lane departure warning system, which has possible steering intervention (in addition to audible and tactile warnings).

What other manufacturers call "lane keeping assist" (or other names) BMW calls "Steering Assistant" (owner's manual, p250), which requires cruise control to be active (see Requirements, p251). Unlike in other vehicles (including perhaps previous BMW versions), there's no way to have "Steering Assistant" active without also having cruise control active.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #63
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the system also will start to slow down if you are using the car's navigation and you have a highway exit approaching.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 03:18 PM   #64
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

interesting discussion. I will test my 45e tonight for this. And also compare to my father's Subaru Eyesight system, which I kind of think steering assist can be on without ACC.

IIRC, on other car I have been using, yes, it is definitely possible. In Toyota Camry's (lousy & dangerous) system, steering assist can always be enabled (setting in menu, not button). Kia's version also allow steering assit without ACC.
      07-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #65
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the system also will start to slow down if you are using the car's navigation and you have a highway exit approaching.
Depending on the MY that is correct, early year(s) don’t do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 09:19 PM   #66
Csav
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You are confusing dates, packages and features. The Driving Assistance Professional Package was available starting in December 2018. What you are referring to is the Assisted Driving View. That feature was only available starting with MY20 vehicles.

Since you have the Automated Lane Change you do have the DAP so you could use coding to enable the ADV on yours.
I just had my 2019 x5 serviced for brakes and rotors. I had a loaner x5 with the updated ADV. would love to enable it on my truck. How and where can I do that ?

It’s interesting because I use google maps for nav. And I can see the screen layout behind the directions in the virtual cockpit display, it just doesn’t show my vehicle or any other.
Appreciate 0