BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Key and profile issue

So we have one profile set on the car and we have 2 keys. When I unlock using my key, it automatically sets the profile.

When my wife uses her key, it does not select the profile automatically, instead it sets as guest. She has to manually select the profile.

Any idea on how to fix? Do you have to link the key to the profile so it recognises it?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 10:49 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
So we have one profile set on the car and we have 2 keys. When I unlock using my key, it automatically sets the profile.

When my wife uses her key, it does not select the profile automatically, instead it sets as guest. She has to manually select the profile.

Any idea on how to fix? Do you have to link the key to the profile so it recognises it?
did you enable driver profile to sync with her key fob?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:01 AM   #3
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Is that the recognition setting?

When I selected key linkage, it made it worse as everytime on startup, I had to login using my username and password.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is that the recognition setting?

When I selected key linkage, it made it worse as everytime on startup, I had to login using my username and password.
yes that’s it, but it’s normal to enter your login credentials a few times. in 2y of ownership, that happened to me after updating i-Level to 11/2022 software. i just ignored it by hitting the BACK button upon confirming my driver profile loaded. after a few times, it stopped asking for them. I’ve found a telematics reboot can resolve the persistent login issue as well.
Appreciate 1
rlou83.00
      06-21-2023, 11:39 AM   #5
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

But it's asking me everytime. If I press the back button it defaults to guest. The only way to select my profile is to login.

How do you do the telematics reboot?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 12:04 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But it's asking me everytime. If I press the back button it defaults to guest. The only way to select my profile is to login.

How do you do the telematics reboot?
interesting. mine would still load my driver profile even when asking for login which I ignore. you have to sync her profile to the fob if you want the vehicle to load her profile (her login, not yours)

telematics reboot: hold radio VOL button through three consecutive iDrive reboots. can release the button when you see the third startup screen
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 12:07 PM   #7
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
interesting. mine would still load my driver profile even when asking for login which I ignore. you have to sync her profile to the fob if you want the vehicle to load her profile (her login, not yours)
We only have one profile which we both use. How do I sync the profile to her fob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
telematics reboot: hold radio VOL button through three consecutive iDrive reboots. can release the button when you see the third startup screen
Thank, will try this.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Profiles or Personal Profiles should be easily found in your owners manual (there’s one built into iDrive, too). If you use the keyword search you can start typing in P R O F I L E to quickly find the section that describes how to set one up.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 06:37 AM   #9
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So spent the last few days doing this. I managed to get my wife's key synced to the profile but now it doesn't work with my fob. It seems like I can only sync the profile to one fob.

Is anyone else having this Issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 09:44 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So spent the last few days doing this. I managed to get my wife's key synced to the profile but now it doesn't work with my fob. It seems like I can only sync the profile to one fob.

it sounds like you're trying to sync two fobs with one (your) profile. not designed that way...

it used to be simpler where no login was required to assign driver profiles with the fobs, but now that some driver profile settings are stored in the cloud, each driver requires his/her own MyBMW account to establish a driver profile that the key fob can sync to. IOW, she needs her own MyBMW account. once established, you can sync her fob to her account using her login credentials.

you can try this: download MyBMW app on her phone and log in with your credentials. add your vehicle. at one point, the setup will ask if this is a primary user or secondary user. assign her as a secondary user. ensure you are were assigned the primary user for the vehicle on your phone. now try and see if you can sync the keys to separate driver settings. i still don't think you can, though, because of the aforementioned account-profile login requirements

Last edited by nZtiZia; 06-24-2023 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

It's not an issue, that is the way it's designed to be. You can only have one drivers profile per key fob. Since all the key fobs that come with the car are identical looking, I put my first initial on the back of mine and my wife's initial on the back of hers. We then created our two independent profiles, synced them and all has been well ever since. She uses her key fob and the car adjusts to her settings and I use mine and it adjusts to my settings. We each have key fob faraday pouches so if I'm driving, her key fob is in its pouch in her purse. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

Quote:

We also have only one profile set on the car but only use one key. We each have our own seat position setting. The only downside is having to rummage around in her purse to look for the key when I need the car. Oh, and the "Welcome Susan" when I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #13
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you all for the replies.

So I tried to create a separate profile for my wife. She downloaded the MyBmw app and tried to add the car. But she gets a message that the car can only be added to one profile.

So I'm confused now. How are people setting up multiple profiles when I can only have one?

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 06:16 PM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you all for the replies.

So I tried to create a separate profile for my wife. She downloaded the MyBmw app and tried to add the car. But she gets a message that the car can only be added to one profile.

So I'm confused now. How are people setting up multiple profiles when I can only have one?
I can’t exactly remember when in the process during setup, but did you assign her as secondary user?

you should be able to add the car to another profile. after I added the X5 in my MyBMW app (as primary), I added it to my wife’s MyBMW app (as secondary). when she got her 530e, I added it to her app (as primary) then added it to mine afterwards (as secondary)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 12:47 AM   #15
bsaikit
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

i have a similar but slightly different driver profile and BMW app linkage problem i am hoping someone may have some solution to...

here's the scenario:
- i have a connecteddrive account under my name.
- we each have mapped our key fobs to our individual driver profiles. there is no issue with the car recognising the key fob and using the correct profile
- my wife and i each have the BMW app downloaded, and we each have our own separate BMW ID (using our own email addresses to log in).
- up until a couple months ago, my wife could log into her myBMW app and send map destinations via 'Send to my BMW. the car would receive the destination request upon start up, when either key fob is used.
- now when she attempts to send a destination via that 'send to my bmw' feature, that box is greyed out and a message is displayed "Vehicle not Mapped".

i am awaiting a response from BMW and will try a hard reset but wondering if anyone has also encountered this issue?
Appreciate 0