BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #133
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeya2006 View Post
Try calling ATT at 1866-595-1222 and give them your vehicle mobile number.

If they can't find the number in their system, then the problem is with BMW, then call BMW Genius, they should be able to take your Vin and submit to a department to update the number.

If ATT was able to find the mobile number, then you should be able to activate hotspot with them on the phone.
I am on the phone with AT&T. The phone number (from BMW Connected Web) I gave them did not work. They opened a ticket, but said it would help to have the IMEI number which one may get from the national BMW that I called some days ago. In the meantime, I should contact my dealer - yet again - to see if they can register my VIN and get a new phone number.

BTW, does this process mess up one's Connected App if it is working without complications?

Last edited by Xeno; 01-24-2019 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #134
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I am on the phone with AT&T. The phone number (from BMW Connected Web) I gave them did not work. They opened a ticket, but said it would help to have the IMEI number which one may get from the national BMW that I called some days ago. In the meantime, I should contact my dealer - yet again - to see if they can register my VIN and get a new phone number.

BTW, does this process mess up one's Connected App if it is working without complications?
Does your mobile number start with 521? If so, you need to contact BMW Genius to give you a new number.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #135
Xeno
Major
Rep

Yes it does so I am working on this now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #136
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 G05

Garage List
I'm up everyone!

Got out of an appointment got in the car and then when I went to join the WiFi it popped up with a WiFi hotspot window to activate the hotspot. Exchange of the hot spot changes from 521 to 912. PUMA case for the win and also thanks to our favorite AT&T representative, Frank.
      01-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #137
hopeya2006
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstyler View Post
I'm up everyone!

Got out of an appointment got in the car and then when I went to join the WiFi it popped up with a WiFi hotspot window to activate the hotspot. Exchange of the hot spot changes from 521 to 912. PUMA case for the win and also thanks to our favorite AT&T representative, Frank.
Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #138
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstyler View Post
I'm up everyone!

Congrats!
Haha thanks. I seriously feel like I ran a marathon trying to fix that thing.
      01-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #139
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
Email seems to get the most knowledgeable response. I've been getting the same person via email and he's been great. He's also the one who would call me weekly with updates, to let me know it was fixed, sent me instructions, and has followed up with me a couple times since including when I emailed some more questions.
Ok so i sent an email last night with vin and information and got a response that i have been added to the list to get this resolved.
not a big deal for me really but i do want things to work. not sure if the wifi is just a trial or do we get it for a while?
Appreciate 1
mnewnam269.50
      01-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #140
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
Quote:
Email seems to get the most knowledgeable response. I've been getting the same person via email and he's been great. He's also the one who would call me weekly with updates, to let me know it was fixed, sent me instructions, and has followed up with me a couple times since including when I emailed some more questions.
Ok so i sent an email last night with vin and information and got a response that i have been added to the list to get this resolved.
not a big deal for me really but i do want things to work. not sure if the wifi is just a trial or do we get it for a while?
3 month trial once you sign up with a 3GB cap. I added it to my AT&T unlimited plan that I already had for our cell phones.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #141
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
3 month trial once you sign up with a 3GB cap. I added it to my AT&T unlimited plan that I already had for our cell phones.
You can do stand alone unlimited $20 without add your family plan
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #142
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchhuor View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can do stand alone unlimited $20 without add your family plan
It was the same price to add to my plan, so I did that to keep it all together.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:40 AM   #143
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

This might be a little off topic but why do i want or need the hotspot.My phone has unlimited data and i turn it into a hotspot if the grandkids are with us. Are there any functions on the car that helps to be linked in?
Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 02:06 AM   #144
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This might be a little off topic but why do i want or need the hotspot.My phone has unlimited data and i turn it into a hotspot if the grandkids are with us. Are there any functions on the car that helps to be linked in?
Thanks all
No... it comes in to play if you have tablets or other devices in the car that don't have a cellular connection. That's really what it's for.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:43 AM   #145
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
No... it comes in to play if you have tablets or other devices in the car that don't have a cellular connection. That's really what it's for.
The other thing I've noticed - if my phone is connected to the car's CarPlay system and then my son (with a non-cellular ipad) needs an internet connection, if I turn on my personal hotspot, CarPlay is disconnected.

So I'm eagerly awaiting my wifi hotspot (I have a PUMA case open for 2 weeks now) because it seems personal hotspot and CarPlay don't work (presumably personal hotspot uses the wifi radio in a different and CarPlay-incompatible way?)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #146
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My plan is to use it to stream higher res audio from sirius and other sources and not use my cell phone's bandwidth. Other than that it's for the people I drive with when I do business.
      01-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #147
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
Does your mobile number start with 521? If so, you need to contact BMW Genius to give you a new number.
Dealer finally came up with new number and so my Hotspot seems to be working.

Last edited by Xeno; 01-26-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #148
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Just activated mine today..no issues going through steps on my iphone...will give it a try before committing to paying money for it...anyone have any dropped connections while using it?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 11:57 PM   #149
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still a bit unsure about this whole wifi thing.

I know what wifi hotspot is, but does the car come equipped with internet access automatically, even if the wifi hotspot is NOT working?

I'm assuming this whole thread is about getting the hotspot to work so people can log in and use the car's wifi.

In the COM->Devices menu, the "Internet" box is checked but it says "Requires Wifi." I can't get the hotspot to work, but yet, I'm able to retrieve the latest news and weather. I'm assuming if that's happening, then the car's internet is working?

Reason why I'm asking is I've never been able to retrieve anything from the "BMW store" in the apps menu. Also, I can't seem to update my software OTA. I'm not sure if it's due to my car's wifi/internet connection or that the BMW store not having any apps to download at the moment and the OTA feature is not rolled out yet.

Can someone who has Wifi hotspot activated try to see if the BMW Store has any apps to download?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #150
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm still a bit unsure about this whole wifi thing.

I know what wifi hotspot is, but does the car come equipped with internet access automatically, even if the wifi hotspot is NOT working?

I'm assuming this whole thread is about getting the hotspot to work so people can log in and use the car's wifi.

In the COM->Devices menu, the "Internet" box is checked but it says "Requires Wifi." I can't get the hotspot to work, but yet, I'm able to retrieve the latest news and weather. I'm assuming if that's happening, then the car's internet is working?

Reason why I'm asking is I've never been able to retrieve anything from the "BMW store" in the apps menu. Also, I can't seem to update my software OTA. I'm not sure if it's due to my car's wifi/internet connection or that the BMW store not having any apps to download at the moment and the OTA feature is not rolled out yet.

Can someone who has Wifi hotspot activated try to see if the BMW Store has any apps to download?

Thanks!
The hotspot is a different internet connection. The car has its own connection for the services you mentioned: traffic, map updates, software updates, etc. the hotspot is like a house or office wireless so guests and you in the car have a internet connection for up to 8 devices (someone confirm the number on this, please). It isn't needed to make the car work. The store loading failure is a remaining bug with BMW connected drive. They are working on it, but there is no time frame.

For best results for your phone until your hotspot works, shut off the internet connection in the car so your phone can get to the internet over its own subscription while driving otherwise it won't be able to stream Spotify, Apple Music, etc. because the hotspot can't route to the internet without a live trial or subscription of its own.
      01-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #151
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

Is there a away to get to the SIM card?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #152
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport 3rd

Quote:
Would like to know this as well. Maybe it would be possible for me to swap in a European sim card in there and get my connected drive functions working!....when I get my X5
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #153
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you're the adventurous type there is a sticky in this forum for technical training. You might be able to find out where it's stored in the car through the schematics. I just had AT&T and BMW hash it out on their ends. Took some days, but I've been good since.
      01-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #154
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcastudillo View Post
Quote:
Would like to know this as well. Maybe it would be possible for me to swap in a European sim card in there and get my connected drive functions working!....when I get my X5
I was told by a Genius that it uses an eSIM... which would explain part of the issue with AT&T. My iPad Pro with eSIM took some doing to get activated with them on my unlimited mobile plan.
Appreciate 0