BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
Trappistmonk
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

How is your Merino leather holding up?

On the fence to change my Vernasca leather to Merino leather. Can you post some pictures of your driver’s seat and include mileage and use (lots of in and outs or long drives)?

Thanks for helping me decide which leather is best for me!
Appreciate 1
matowi296.50
      09-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappistmonk View Post
On the fence to change my Vernasca leather to Merino leather. Can you post some pictures of your driver’s seat and include mileage and use (lots of in and outs or long drives)?

Unfortunately I can't help with pictures, but just thought I would provide my perspective. We ended up going with Vernasca because we have a baby, and most seemed to think that Vernasca would be the "less maintenance" option of the two. Tbh though, I have no idea if that's actually true.

If the baby wasn't a factor and it was up to me, I think I would have probably gone with Merino just because I like the stitch pattern (which my wife is not a fan of). Still, I've been very happy with Vernasca in the two months I've had the car. It's super easy to clean and looks great.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
Madjackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 40i X5

I have extended Merino with 25,000 on the clock with seemingly no wear at all. The only long trip was driving it back to Phoenix from Spartanburg, SC, and a trip to San Diego. Just got back from my dealer, buying some leather conditioner to apply some preventive maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappistmonk View Post

3 years old, a few 8hr+ road trips, almost zero wear to my eye. The most important factor, though, is it's a convertible and 80% of the miles were top down higher speed, so there's a shitload of dust, not to mention any unbuckled seatbelts constantly flopping around.

Having had lots of Merino for a decade, including this Opal White, I'd say the key is lightly wipe occasionally with a clean dry MF to control the dust and, when needed, after dusting, wipe any places with dye transfer or whatever with a MF lightly damp with warm water. Usually doesn't need more. If so, use lexol or similar.

If you look on the lower right you can see a big smear of sunscreen on the door jamb - 3x per week for 3 years I'd go hiking and get back into the car extremely sweaty, dusty, and full of sunscreen which would get all over the doors & leather (the driver's thigh extension would routinely have a giant tan dirt mark along the leading edge).

Bolster shows no signs of wear to my eye - I'm 6'2 200lb and not gentle in usage and, like I said, used this as Sport Activity Vehicle

Rear seats, but they got almost no usage:

Merino really isn't a problem to care for - I think the challenges come for extreme events like you spilled paint on the seats or your kid found the sharpies.
Appreciate 6
IFlyX5236.50
Auricom4364.50
1230vani660.00
AGONXF30285.00
      09-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
3 years old, a few 8hr+ road trips, almost zero wear to my eye. The most important factor, though, is it's a convertible and 80% of the miles were top down higher speed, so there's a shitload of dust, not to mention any unbuckled seatbelts constantly flopping around.

Having had lots of Merino for a decade, including this Opal White, I'd say the key is lightly wipe occasionally with a clean dry MF to control the dust and, when needed, after dusting, wipe any places with dye transfer or whatever with a MF lightly damp with warm water. Usually doesn't need more. If so, use lexol or similar.

If you look on the lower right you can see a big smear of sunscreen on the door jamb - 3x per week for 3 years I'd go hiking and get back into the car extremely sweaty, dusty, and full of sunscreen which would get all over the doors & leather (the driver's thigh extension would routinely have a giant tan dirt mark along the leading edge)
Wow looks like it's in great condition. I knew I should've gone with Merino!

jk wife said no
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

There are 2 different types of vehicle owners - those who maintain cleanliness and are conscious of leather wear, and those that don't think about it. Keep it clean and don't beat on it - Merino will last a long time with minimal wear. If it's neglected, it will look like crap in short order.
Appreciate 4
      09-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #7
Trappistmonk
Rep

Thanks for sharing! It really looks great. Just wondering with the X5’s wide door sills if it would wear different.
Quote:

If you look on the lower right you can see a big smear of sunscreen on the door jamb - 3x per week for 3 years I'd go hiking and get back into the car extremely sweaty, dusty, and full of sunscreen which would get all over the doors & leather (the driver's thigh extension would routinely have a giant tan dirt mark along the leading edge).

Bolster shows no signs of wear to my eye - I'm 6'2 200lb and not gentle in usage and, like I said, used this as Sport Activity Vehicle

Merino really isn't a problem to care for - I think the challenges come for extreme events like you spilled paint on the seats or your kid found the sharpies.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #8
Trappistmonk
Rep

I have the unfortunate habit of keeping my cars extremely clean. Lexie clean and feed every 3 months. No eating or drinks other than water allowed in the car. But despite that, the driver’s seat (vernasca) in our 21 X5 shows more wear than my 2011 911 with 25k miles. (And yes, swapping a 21 for a 22….)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
There are 2 different types of vehicle owners - those who maintain cleanliness and are conscious of leather wear, and those that don't think about it. Keep it clean and don't beat on it - Merino will last a long time with minimal wear. If it's neglected, it will look like crap in short order.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 08:09 PM   #9
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

Quote:

I don't know how you do it but the seats look brand new for a 3-yo car.
khailuan112.50
      09-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
My first reaction is, having had Merino for over 10 years in 5 vehicles (and many similar before that): I wear cotton clothes and use the muscles in my body to set myself in, and get up & out of the car ...

some of these seat-wear pics I see ... geezus, are these people wearing 50-grit sandpaper pants and slithering in and of the car like lizards?

seriously, wtf is going on there?
Appreciate 3
Auricom4364.50
alewifebp483.50
Blue87377.00
      09-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #11
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyX5 View Post
My first reaction is, having had Merino for over 10 years in 5 vehicles (and many similar before that): I wear cotton clothes and use the muscles in my body to set myself in, and get up & out of the car ...

some of these seat-wear pics I see ... geezus, are these people wearing 50-grit sandpaper pants and slithering in and of the car like lizards?

seriously, wtf is going on there?
There's an M4 on the lot of my local dealer, 39k miles, black interior, and the drivers bolster is so cracked and pummeled that it's basically white. I just don't understand the mindset.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18195.50
      09-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I have taken the family on two 2200 mile road trips to Disney and my ivory Merino looked perfect when I traded it in. Merino is a very high end leather and certainly worth the upcharge. At this level I wouldn’t consider any option but Merino.

Appreciate 7
      09-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #13
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Personally I hate the quilt pattern in the Merino and went with Vernasca. I’m not sure what “at this level” means? It’s not like we’re comparing leather to cloth. They’re both high quality leathers.
I find it funny people that say I have 10-15k miles and the seats still look good. Check back with us when you have 75-80k. If you’re not going to own the vehicle for more than 2-3 years it really doesn’t matter what you choose. Chances are you wouldn’t experience enough usage and weather conditions to see substantial wear and tear.

Last edited by BMWBear; 09-18-2021 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
bforbrian722.50
      09-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #14
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Personally I hate the quilt pattern in the Merino and went with Vernasca. I’m not sure what “at this level” means? It’s not like we’re comparing leather to cloth. They’re both high quality leathers.
I find it funny people that say I have 10-15k miles and the seats still look good. Check back with us when you have 75-80k. If you’re not going to own the vehicle for more than 2-3 years it really doesn’t matter what you choose. Chances are you wouldn’t experience enough usage and weather conditions to see substantial wear and tear.
Vernasca is a bit harder on my butt. LOL. Even my wife complimented the Merino as much more comfortable to sit on.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4364.50
      09-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Here is the info on the difference between BMW leather grades.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/23/k...ather-options/
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #16
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceRN09 View Post
Vernasca is a bit harder on my butt. LOL. Even my wife complimented the Merino as much more comfortable to sit on.
Coming from F15 Nappa, I had an identical experience and reaction sitting in Vernasca. Optioning Merino was a no brainer.

Appreciate 1
iceRN09241.00
      09-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #17
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I optioned Vernasca on my inbound 45e for cost reasons and also because my wife will be driving it and she's much harder on vehicles than I am. I think it's a nice balance between luxury and durability. Sensatec should never be considered.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #18
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Coming from F15 Nappa, I had an identical experience and reaction sitting in Vernasca. Optioning Merino was a no brainer.
That must be it. I’m coming from daily driving a Wrangler with Katzkin and find the Vernasca comfortable. My mattress is also firm so that’s just what I’m used to and what I prefer on top of more visually appealing pattern.

The link posted states the Vernasca is more durable and requires less maintenance. Gotta love how the first sentence for Merino says “ If you want your BMW leather to really impress your passengers, you’ll need Merino”. Lol
Appreciate 1
Auricom4364.50
      09-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #19
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

I'm honestly not sure where this idea comes from that Merino is somehow less durable than Vernasca.

To the touch it is more supple and soft, so perhaps that's what creates this false notion that one must treat it with kid gloves. As a Merino owner, I find it to be consistent across all of the leathers I've had in cars: Dakota, Vernasca, Silk Nappa, and whatever Audi used in the late 2000s.

I think the best reply in this thread is a few up: "There are 2 different types of vehicle owners - those who maintain cleanliness and are conscious of leather wear, and those that don't think about it."

If you treat Vernasca like it's a twin mattress in a freshman frat house, then of course that's going to look bad...just as bad as Merino.

What I'm getting at: don't deprive yourself of Merino because you think it will fall apart with normal use. It won't. Spend the extra $1k and don't look back!
Appreciate 2
FCX52406.00
GrussGott18195.50
      09-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #20
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I'm honestly not sure where this idea comes from that Merino is somehow less durable than Vernasca.
I’ve read from multiple sources that the Vernasca is more durable in like situations. Not a reason I’d choose one over the other but it may be from some buyers.
Remove the dated quilt pattern and I would have given it a second thought.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4364.50
      09-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #21
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
That must be it. I'm coming from daily driving a Wrangler with Katzkin and find the Vernasca comfortable. My mattress is also firm so that's just what I'm used to and what I prefer on top of more visually appealing pattern.

The link posted states the Vernasca is more durable and requires less maintenance. Gotta love how the first sentence for Merino says " If you want your BMW leather to really impress your passengers, you'll need Merino". Lol
The only "person" I'm impressing is my bum and it was extremely impressed, coddled and massaged on the 800+ miles drive home from PCD, LOL. 🍑

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18195.50
      09-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #22
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW I contacted my detailing product brand about what to use on the leather seats. I was going to use a coating that lasted a year. They said all their leather SiO₂ products could be used on automotive leather. When I specified it was BMW Merino they had me switch to another product that only lasts 3 months but they felt was better due to how soft the leather was and how little coating was on it. So at least to this one company there is a difference between Merino vs Vernasca.
Appreciate 0