Closed Thread

09-14-2021, 09:31 PM   #199
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Open minded doesn’t mean I can’t call something ugly. Funny how you post my comment and not the full thread with referenced X7. Yeah I deleted my comments because the OP was all upset when I thought the thread was a joke. Instead of being a mitch about it I cleaned up my comments and moved on. I see you haven’t.
I wouldn't call you're comment "Yeah I don’t know what you’ve been drinking but get back to me once you’ve sobered up." a joke. I would call it a personal insult to the OP's character. Here's the entire thread, after you deleted your comments, so all can see the entire thread conversation. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post27947454

Perhaps a better approach would have been to apologize for your remarks instead of just erasing them so others can't see what you posted. I'm sure you would have deleted my comments as well if you had the ability to do so.

I had moved on as well until I saw the comment in this thread about being "Open Minded" after making a very "Narrow Minded" post previously. For what it's worth I also think the modifications were ugly but chose not to deride the OP's modifications by insulting him publicly.

I'll step down now so we can move on to more fruitful discussions about BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #200
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
I’ve wondered why rcta never worked. Guess what it worked for the first time yesterday when I was backing out. It beeped for the first time and I looked in the display and saw a car already half way in my butt.
This has never worked for me either now that I think about it. Is there something in idrive you have to do to make it work?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #201
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
This has never worked for me either now that I think about it. Is there something in idrive you have to do to make it work?
You need to check the box. I have it checked since day 1 but it has never worked. Now that I think about it. I wonder if the beep was from the camera sensoring the object or the actual rcta. Maybe it doesn’t work at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #202
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
You need to check the box. I have it checked since day 1 but it has never worked. Now that I think about it. I wonder if the beep was from the camera sensoring the object or the actual rcta. Maybe it doesn’t work at all.
Thanks I will have to check and see if I enabled that...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:48 AM   #203
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
It actually worked for the first time for me a few days ago as well. Finally! As I was backing out of my driveway, it beeped, lit up red on the rear view camera on the side the car was approaching from (passenger side} and applied the brakes. I saw the car approaching and was coming to a stop but I guess I was too close?

I kept wondering if anything was actually being monitored, so I'm glad that it finally did something. I've mentioned this before, but it sucks that there isn't a good way to test this without risking an accident.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:22 AM   #204
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
LEt's face it...not everyone's budget can support a luxury vehicle, but everyone is likely to want something other than the least common denominator...
You're posting on an x5 board.

Perspective is great, but so is perspective.

The Telluride offers a lot of vehicle for the money, but it's not in any way a luxury vehicle. Capacity-wise it almost makes sense to look at it in the same light as a third-row-optioned x5, a q7, etc, but it's far more appropriate to cross shop something like the vw atlas or the subaru ascent, as those are actually the Telluride's competition.

It's not even an act of snobbishness to say the Kia isn't in the same league. It simply isn't. I wouldn't place my v8 short bus in the same league as the platform-sharing Cullinan because there's an obvious difference in build and material choice there.

This is all quite a lot simpler than it's being made out to be in here. If you need 3 rows, skip the x5. The third row in it is, much like the q7, a joke. If your budget is in the Telluride range and you're looking for 3 rows, you should be cross-shopping the aforementioned Atlas, Ascent, and likely the Explorer Sport (because black trim is the right choice, damn it). If you're not worried about a third row, play with the x5 and see how you like it.

done.
      09-15-2021, 04:02 AM   #205
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I wouldn't call you're comment "Yeah I don’t know what you’ve been drinking but get back to me once you’ve sobered up." a joke. I would call it a personal insult to the OP's character. Here's the entire thread, after you deleted your comments, so all can see the entire thread conversation. https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post27947454

Perhaps a better approach would have been to apologize for your remarks instead of just erasing them so others can't see what you posted. I'm sure you would have deleted my comments as well if you had the ability to do so.

I had moved on as well until I saw the comment in this thread about being "Open Minded" after making a very "Narrow Minded" post previously. For what it's worth I also think the modifications were ugly but chose not to deride the OP's modifications by insulting him publicly.

I'll step down now so we can move on to more fruitful discussions about BMW.
Yeah that response was not about his taste in vehicles but his response to my comment about the thread being a joke. (See post 6). That’s clear in the thread and anyone who hasn’t moved on can clearly see that.

Btw the OP didn’t modify anything yet and was was looking for where to find the parts that were on the X7 posted.

No need to step down when youre already taking the low road …mitch.
Better luck next time.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #206
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Even ignoring Telluride vs X5, there's a big price difference between the two SUVs from the same parent company, Telluride vs Genesis GV80. The GV80 6 cylinder in top trim is $76k, which isn't any different than a X5. So you have the same parent company Hyundai, making what they consider the equivalent to an X5, and it costs $76k just like an X5. Is a Genesis worth the extra price comes up on the internet, vs just getting a Hyundai or Kia.

Hyundai explained that luxury products have a completely different product schedule & QC. a Genesis product gets 8 hours of welding instead of 2, 11 hours of paint shop vs 7, 9 hours for the rest of assembly vs 5, and longer QC which they wouldn't quote figures on. The quicker schedule of non-luxury products basically allows them be priced less, a longer schedule means a higher price. There's also factors not on the spec sheet like cabin and noise insulation.

There is a difference and the parent company Hyundai believes in that obviously, having started their own luxury brand. And the extra care ends up costing just as much as a BMW X5 (TBH, the Genesis GV80s are actually going for well over MSRP).
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #207
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taek View Post
Even ignoring Telluride vs X5, there's a big price difference between the two SUVs from the same parent company, Telluride vs Genesis GV80. The GV80 6 cylinder in top trim is $76k, which isn't any different than a X5. So you have the same parent company Hyundai, making what they consider the equivalent to an X5, and it costs $76k just like an X5. Is a Genesis worth the extra price comes up on the internet, vs just getting a Hyundai or Kia.

Hyundai explained that luxury products have a completely different product schedule & QC. a Genesis product gets 8 hours of welding instead of 2, 11 hours of paint shop vs 7, 9 hours for the rest of assembly vs 5, and longer QC which they wouldn't quote figures on. The quicker schedule of non-luxury products basically allows them be priced less, a longer schedule means a higher price. There's also factors not on the spec sheet like cabin and noise insulation.

There is a difference and the parent company Hyundai believes in that obviously, having started their own luxury brand. And the extra care ends up costing just as much as a BMW X5 (TBH, the Genesis GV80s are actually going for well over MSRP).
The GV80 is on a RWD platform, not the Telluride platform. I wouldn't buy one, but it is the Hyundai product to compare against the BMW, no the Telluride.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #208
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
done.
Lol I know that you know that's not true
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #209
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

You also have to consider the price range on the X5 varies to almost double the 'entry' level price...so, depending on what 'options' you want, it can be very costly! A base X5 to an X5 M with all of the options is about 1/2 the price...the X5 M can be nearly $120K in the US before delivery and taxes. So, cost IS a factor for many people, even those participating in this forum...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #210
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Lol I know that you know that's not true
Nah, I meant that once you figured out what the real cross-shopping is supposed to be, you take a ride in each, buy one, and you're done.

Even bringing up the kia in the same convo as the x5 is a bit weird. They're matched because they're both vehicles, but the similarities start to run very bare the moment you move on from that.
      09-15-2021, 02:16 PM   #211
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
Nah, I meant that once you figured out what the real cross-shopping is supposed to be, you take a ride in each, buy one, and you're done.

Even bringing up the kia in the same convo as the x5 is a bit weird. They're matched because they're both vehicles, but the similarities start to run very bare the moment you move on from that.
The comment was made in jest, but fair point
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #212
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

As does a Sinn
Now you've gone too far!!

Sinn is a tool watch maker by heritage and nothing remotely close to Rolex or many (any?) luxury watch maker, though they still do own the rights to the Breitling Navitimer design & still make their version of it as well as various dress watches.

Sinn's bread & butter is their "mission timers" that the German military, police, and rescue services use; in those scenarios an automatic watch with a silicon spring is better than quartz as they're not vulnerable to EMP & magnetic fields that can happen around industrial equipment and/or exploding transformers.

For example, Sinn makes an emergency response & rescue watch with a pulse-timer & hand-detachable bands to more easily clean off blood & fluids:

I wouldn't group Sinn with Tudor (or Breitling or Panerai or Omega).

Sinn is closer to g-shock than any of the luxe watch makers.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread