Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
LX is a different vehicle for different purposes imo. It's too big for DD for me. Family trip, yes. Looks like its V8 is going away and it also starts near 100k.
Why would anyone in their right mind pay $100,000 for a damn Toyota. Unbelievable.
Yeah looked it up. It's bigger, heavier, and underpowered, non turbo 32 valve V8. smaller wheels, smaller rotors. No comparison to an M50i but price lol
Look up resale and usage of Land Cruisers and Lexus LX. The only thing close to it is a G Wagen, which has similar off road chops. The X5 and LX are completely different vehicles made for completely different uses.
The LX/ Landcruisers are true off road beasts. They are used where a break down can be life or death. No kidding. The GX in the rest of the world is known as the Landcruiser Prado and similarly is known to last forever in any condition.

They are designed for practically and purpose built and won't win any artificial test awards since that is not why they exist.

BMW makes better luxury vehicles and better road vehicles and that is where they excel. The M50i is the best value in what it offers as a true high end performance SUV. But it is not an off road SUV. Most people would not own it after warranty. JMHO.

HAHA, this thread pretty much checks off every stereotype people have about BMW owners!
Agree 100% the butthurt in this thread of some myopic BMW owners is hilarious and for sure reinforces the stereotype. First thing my friend said when he saw my M50i was 'beautiful truck'. Second thing he said was ' difference between a porcupine and a BMW? On the porcupine the pricks are on the outside'. Never gets old!
Appreciate 1
pshyong16.50
      09-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #134
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
^^^This.

We can debate which is better and compare car designed for different purposes all day long, but these car choices are a really personal thing. I would never tell someone who bought a Kia that they made a wrong choice. Their car, their choice. But for me, the price difference is a bargain in favor of the BMW in terms of everything I care about. That's all that really matters.
There is not a rational debate to be had about SUVs, X5 vs KIA(or any Korean brand) as the Asian stuff is as you say designed for a different purpose and that is obviously to be a cheaper alternative. That means cheaper mechanicals, less engineering, cheaper everything. Cheaper means less, no free lunches in the car business either although there are some here who have themselves convinced otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #135
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpuds View Post
Agree 100% the butthurt in this thread of some myopic BMW owners is hilarious and for sure reinforces the stereotype. First thing my friend said when he saw my M50i was 'beautiful truck'. Second thing he said was ' difference between a porcupine and a BMW? On the porcupine the pricks are on the outside'. Never gets old!
Perfect word choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #136
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delm View Post
My wife and I just had a similar conversation this morning. Long-time BMW owner here. I've never had an unexpected rattle suddenly appear in any of our BMWs. Can't say that about the Land Rover we bought new and got rid of as fast as we could. The "thump" you hear when you close the door on our X5...you don't hear the same thump in cars that are lesser-engineered. Yes - when you look at a Kia, or Genesis, or many other SUVs and compare them to an X5, if you are only matching up features and electronics, on paper they will look similar, or even better than the BMW. But to the person that really understands, the hum and high rev of the inline 6 is simply art. The thump of the door hints at the tolerances. The fact that your X5 is highly unlikely to ever spontaneously start an annoying rattle or tick that you can never locate or fix....this is where the additional tens of thousands of dollars go. Is the X5 worth the price difference? Not to everybody, but it sure is to me.
Yeah the x5 has a lot nicer features and well worth the extra cost. But I'm not sure if I like the the "thump" you mention or you must have a different x5. I'm used to it now but at the beginning it felt as if I didn't really close it. I thought maybe it was just me but I see quite a few who wish they had a soft close option on their G05. And no rattling? Long time owner? Uhm... How long have you been a bmw owner? 2 post/1 month long? Interesting. That's quite expensive for "rattling free" option.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #137
Vadersithlord
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 57 Vet 19 Audi etron 21 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
^^^This.

We can debate which is better and compare car designed for different purposes all day long, but these car choices are a really personal thing. I would never tell someone who bought a Kia that they made a wrong choice. Their car, their choice. But for me, the price difference is a bargain in favor of the BMW in terms of everything I care about. That's all that really matters.
Well said could not agree more.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #138
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

Might take the telluride over the GLE350. I would say the strength of both the telluride and X5 is that they are good values, pound for pound. The GLE350 on the other hand, eh. For instance, a lot of the GLE’s have only one feature for the second row - a power window switch. Also I will say that Japanese/Asian cars are better than German cars at not rattling/squeaking over time. Might be due to their simpler materials/assembly but nevertheless that’s just what I’ve noticed.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #139
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
Melbourne, Where are you buying your X5? What dealer?
El Paso Texas
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #140
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Porsche is the only German manufacturer that I know that consistently ranks at the top in quality surveys. Just saying….
That's also due to the fact that their annual sales numbers are so much lower when compared to M-B or BMW.
Appreciate 1
CGG171.50
      09-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #141
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I like comparing vehicles like the Telluride against the X5. I'm a car guy pure and simple. So it's a fun exercise. I guess that's what I do to pass the time, when I'm bored.

So let's say there's a $20K difference in pricing. The question on the table would be, "Is the X5 worth $20K more than the Telluride?" Some people may answer no. Some people may answer yes.

But regardless, I don't think the Telluride is as bad as some of you make it out to be. Kia and Hyundai have made big strides over the last 10 years. They clearly want to knock out the Japanese competition , and they seem to be right on track. I like the fact that companies are constantly competing against each other and their designs get better and better over the years. So today's designs are much better than designs in years past.

OK, how about this comparison? Would you rather get a brand new 2022 Telluride instead of a brand spanking new E53 X5 (that's the first year model for the BMW X5 back in 1999)? Assume the engine power of both vehicles would roughly be the same. Or turn it up a notch and perhaps compare the Telluride to the E70 or E15? My point is how far is Kia from catching up to BMW? Sure, they're behind, but not very far, in my opinion.

I recently looked at all the options for a Palisades Calligraphy, and there aren't a lot of options that BMW offers that Kia doesn't? I mean, even on a Toyota Camry you can get 360 degrees view and a heads up display. Sure the BMW quality might be a tad better, but the Toyota features function fine for most people and get the job done. In my opinion, other than a better driving experience, BMW doesn't offer much more than its lower-classed competitors, especially when it comes to its interior comfort features and technology options. I'm not really talking about engines or suspension technology (for those items, BMW has a clear edge).
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      09-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #142
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your "friend" is jealous.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #143
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like your "friend" is jealous.
Nope. He speaks the truth.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #144
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'll bet, he sounds like a real nice guy.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #145
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
I'll bet, he sounds like a real nice guy.
Yup, instead of going through life bitter and myopic like you, he is open minded. Unless everyone gets down and worships BMW's you get your wad in a bunch and spew piss and vinegar. Move on and get a life.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #146
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Yup, instead of going through life bitter and myopic like you, he is open minded. Unless everyone gets down and worships BMW's you get your wad in a bunch and spew piss and vinegar. Move on and get a life.
Just an observation but you don’t sound any more jovial or less bitter.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #147
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Dude, if you consider a guy who is obviously jealous and essentially calls you a prick to be your friend then it is indeed you who should "get a life". Wow.
Hope you are enjoying your M50i regardless of your "friends" toxicity.
I love mine.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #148
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
I recently looked at all the options for a Palisades Calligraphy, and there aren't a lot of options that BMW offers that Kia doesn't? I mean, even on a Toyota Camry you can get 360 degrees view and a heads up display. Sure the BMW quality might be a tad better, but the Toyota features function fine for most people and get the job done. In my opinion, other than a better driving experience, BMW doesn't offer much more than its lower-classed competitors, especially when it comes to its interior comfort features and technology options. I'm not really talking about engines or suspension technology (for those items, BMW has a clear edge).
this isn't necessarily accurate. You are correct, you can find a lot of the same features in a lot of mass market brands but you'd be surprised at how shockingly bad the implementation of these there can be. As an aside, I was in Santa Fe a week ago (a beautiful city), and had a Chrysler rental. It had a screen that was almost as large as the g05, and a backup camera with radar and all of that. But the resolution of that camera as so so SO bad, I couldn't actually see anything. nevermind the quality of the screen itself. The camera was so useless, I had to actually turn my head and look because I felt unsafe looking at the camera/display.

No, I haven't compared it to the Kia. For all I know, their tech is on par with BMWs. My only point is that just because a manufacturer touts a new feature previously found in luxury brands, doesnt necessarily mean its quality is on par.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #149
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I recently looked at all the options for a Palisades Calligraphy, and there aren't a lot of options that BMW offers that Kia doesn't?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
this isn't necessarily accurate. You are correct, you can find a lot of the same features in a lot of mass market brands but you'd be surprised at how shockingly bad the implementation of these there can be.
And beyond that is the actual way the car drives and durability / dependability of the frame and mechanicals. Most people don't look underneath at the frame, the sway bars if they exist, etc much less the engine, the cooling, etc

Budget auto makers take advantage of this by including (poor?) implementations of luxury features as standard and then cheaping out on the mechanicals.

Anyone ever rented a RAV4 and tried a freeway speed lane change? There's a reason better driving vehicles don't feel like they're about to go tits-up due to a simple 70MPH lane change: better engineered & spec'd mechanicals.

Luckily there aren't only 2 choices: spendy everything or budget everything.

Mazda, for example, makes EXCELLENT driving SUVs (CX-5/9). The interiors are basic - not cheap, but basic - but they drive damn near a BMW, if not exceed it in some places for WAY less. Just an example.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      09-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #150
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
And beyond that is the actual way the car drives and durability / dependability of the frame and mechanicals. Most people don't look underneath at the frame, the sway bars if they exist, etc much less the engine, the cooling, etc

Budget auto makers take advantage of this by including (poor?) implementations of luxury features as standard and then cheaping out on the mechanicals.

Anyone ever rented a RAV4 and tried a freeway speed lane change? There's a reason better driving vehicles don't feel like they're about to go tits-up due to a simple 70MPH lane change: better engineered & spec'd mechanicals.

Luckily there aren't only 2 choices: spendy everything or budget everything.

Mazda, for example, makes EXCELLENT driving SUVs (CX-5/9). The interiors are basic - not cheap, but basic - but they drive damn near a BMW, if not exceed it in some places for WAY less. Just an example.
Yup. There is no free lunch.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #151
10101X5
Captain
Rep

I was at the light the other day and a white GV70 came up. Not sure what the features it has and how they are implemented/compared to German's but unlike the telluride that GV70 got my attention. It makes me wonder if the Macan/Cayenne look any better. At this rate, Japanese and German should pay attention. They would take over just like their big screens did.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #152
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Assume that you wish to buy another fun car. Then It depends on what you are trying to achieve. Let's say I want to buy the new M3C.
I own an $77K X5 but sometimes I think I should have got a Telluride or another regular SUV so I can park outside. I wish that I had used the extra $30K to put down for an M3C or a Porsche. I could then garage both my M2C and M3C and leave the Telluride on the street. I only have space for 2 cars in my garage.

So if you need 2 fun cars, like the M3C and M2C or CS or a P-car and only have space for 2 in your garage, and you are OK to drive Telluride then it's not a bad move. The Telluride is quite safe and arguable same as the X5, plus you get the basic things you need from a family SUV. Personally I won't mind parking Kia outside on the street but I am really hesitant to park my M2C or X5 to make room for a new M3C. Given that, I will be forced to either sell my M2C to make room for the new car, or let the M2C or X5 sit outside.

Just want to share my thought process. So figure out first what you are trying to accomplish.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #153
delm
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5, 2022 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
X5 unlikely to ever have a rattle? Really? SA at a popular BMW dealer told me it was one of the most common reasons for service appointments…Porsche is the only German manufacturer that I know that consistently ranks at the top in quality surveys. Just saying….
Totally aware that it does happen, but I've had rattles in every car I've ever purchased other than my BMWs. Sure - it happens. I'm quite sure a Kia or Hyundai SUV is more likely to generate rattles as the car ages.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #154
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I don't agree with most of these surveys and definitely not this one:

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/ratings...g-to-consumers

but I do agree with them here:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/2...quality-survey
Appreciate 0