BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2023, 10:16 AM   #23
SierraX5
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i

Quick review on the Pirelli P Zero All Season Tires. Good Lord are these way more quiet than the OEMs !!!! Ride quality is about the same, if maybe a smidge softer. Traction has been the same in dry and wet. Spirited driving does not appear to have suffered. Not sure on high level grip at the edge as I have not had a chance to do that on either the OEMs or these. At the moment, 800 miles in, these are a WINNER.
Appreciate 1
Blue87375.50
      12-16-2023, 10:20 AM   #24
SierraX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Could you please share the link to these tires. They are only showing me winter and summer tires and not all seasons. Thanks!
Here you go.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...erformance=ALL
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:25 PM   #25
Rhody
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Thumbs up UPDATE

I bought the Pirelli P Zero All Season through America's Tires. They did not have the inventory in the website but they had to make special call to their warehouse and delivered it in two days. I also added my AAA discount, and negotiated the price for the full set at 2500~.

The unfortunate part, after installation, they damaged 3 of my rims from their shovel tool that separates the tire from the rims. I was able to put in the claim and got a $975 check after sending my quote from a dealer approved vendor.

Highly recommend getting All-Season over the Winter or Summer tires. They last longer They are quieter than my old Nittos because they have a foam installed inside. Super happy about the purchase.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:31 PM   #26
Rhody
United_States
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraX5 View Post
Quick review on the Pirelli P Zero All Season Tires. Good Lord are these way more quiet than the OEMs !!!! Ride quality is about the same, if maybe a smidge softer. Traction has been the same in dry and wet. Spirited driving does not appear to have suffered. Not sure on high level grip at the edge as I have not had a chance to do that on either the OEMs or these. At the moment, 800 miles in, these are a WINNER.

Your review is accurate. I have the same experience. The BMW Service Agent told me that BMW doesn't have an All Season approved OE tire and they only have winter and summer tire. He said the All Season last longer and it's just a way for these business partners to make more money. They are all in cahoots with each other.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:52 PM   #27
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
I've been shopping for all season tires for my 2021 BMW X5 M50i and I've noticed the OE tires that BMW offers only has Summer or Winter tires (Pirelli Pzero PZ4 LUXURY or Continental PremiumContact 6) and no All-Season options.

It's recommended that you don't drive the summer tires below 45F temp or drive the winter tires in warm weather. Not sure if the recommendation is BS but I try to follow to the spec requirements.

Even though I live in LA, I drive to the mountains to go skiing. I usually go to Oregon for a month to stay at my cabin and ski and I need a capable tire through out any winter conditions. I currently have the Nitto NT420v and I haven't driven them in snow yet.

Thoughts??
You like in so Cal and visit Oregon in winter, I would get all season tires. The issue with summer isn’t Cali or even Oregon temperatures, it is snow or ice. I would not recommend getting summer tires and test your luck in snow. I have done it a few time at Tahoe. Young and ignorant, not great experience. No reason to get separated winter tires.

And no summer tire + chain != to all season. The difference and the question is when do you put on the chains? Snow sock doesn’t last long on if road is dry, chains reduce your speed to about 35mph. You really cannot have them on unless there some good amount of snow on road. Long before they, you summer tire will have traction issue, especially at higher speed.

Another thought, keep summer tires. Rent a car or your ski trip ?
      12-20-2023, 06:17 PM   #28
Rhody
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
You like in so Cal and visit Oregon in winter, I would get all season tires. The issue with summer isn’t Cali or even Oregon temperatures, it is snow or ice. I would not recommend getting summer tires and test your luck in snow. I have done it a few time at Tahoe. Young and ignorant, not great experience. No reason to get separated winter tires.

And no summer tire + chain != to all season. The difference and the question is when do you put on the chains? Snow sock doesn’t last long on if road is dry, chains reduce your speed to about 35mph. You really cannot have them on unless there some good amount of snow on road. Long before they, you summer tire will have traction issue, especially at higher speed.

Another thought, keep summer tires. Rent a car or your ski trip ?
I've updated my status on the previous post. I searched far and wide for Pirelli P Zero All Seasons for my stagger 22inch rims. I also bought two pairs of AutoSocks which I don't think I will need with the All Season tires +AWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 07:13 PM   #29
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've updated my status on the previous post. I searched far and wide for Pirelli P Zero All Seasons for my stagger 22inch rims. I also bought two pairs of AutoSocks which I don't think I will need with the All Season tires +AWD.
For Cali, we have these R1, R2, R3 condition rating setup by Caltran. With R2, everyone is required to have chain or traction device on, regardless of xWD or winter tires. Caltran will have check point on highway to enforce this. It is not common, but I have encounter more than a few times of R2, usually on Tahoe (I-80/US50) area, Shasta (I-5) mountain. And believe it or not, Great Vine (I-5) summit, which is kind of close to you. So do bring along autosocks.
      12-21-2023, 09:45 AM   #30
SierraX5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
For Cali, we have these R1, R2, R3 condition rating setup by Caltran. With R2, everyone is required to have chain or traction device on, regardless of xWD or winter tires. Caltran will have check point on highway to enforce this. It is not common, but I have encounter more than a few times of R2, usually on Tahoe (I-80/US50) area, Shasta (I-5) mountain. And believe it or not, Great Vine (I-5) summit, which is kind of close to you. So do bring along autosocks.

Slight correction on the Caltrans Chain Requirements:
R2 is Chains on 2WD, Snow rated tires OK on 4WD, but chains must be in possession.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      12-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #31
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraX5 View Post
Slight correction on the Caltrans Chain Requirements:
R2 is Chains on 2WD, Snow rated tires OK on 4WD, but chains must be in possession.
thank you for correction. I must be drinking to much last night