10-10-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Question 45e ICE idle noise

Hi.

Looking for another 45e owner to compare the sound of their ICE engine at warm idle.

Coming from an M3, which could sound like a diesel when cold, the IL6 in my 45e seems really noisy at idle, and I'm wondering if something is wrong?
It is not what I expected from a detuned 3.0, and I want to stress this is how it sounds after the engine is warmed through thoroughly.

When driving it sounds fine from inside the car, and pulls hard without vibration.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AilrAxYeTQYS1JUwTmfaMiqihjTUfA
      10-10-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Sounds completely normal especially for B58/S58 since these engines are know to be on a "noisier" side at idle. Part of the reason is the clearance and second part is the oil. If you switch to Motul 5w40 (Like I have done for my S58 and track B58), the noise will go away mostly BUT I would not recommend doing that on a hybrid, a motor that potentially can be pushed while cold.
Appreciate 2
Artc5.00
GrussGott18113.00
      10-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Mine does make quite a bit of noise when it suddenly turns on in hybride mode when accelerating fast. It sounds like it makes to many revs and then goes down again.

When accelerating fast with the gear in sport it is also more present.

When you hear the ICE in idle I presume you have the gear in sport? Otherwise usually it would be switched if when the car is not moving? Maybe this could be why you can hear it better?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
When you hear the ICE in idle I presume you have the gear in sport? Otherwise usually it would be switched if when the car is not moving? Maybe this could be why you can hear it better?
Yes I am talking about vehicle at total standstill and gear either in P, N or M1 depending on how the car is feeling at the time I'm trying to force the engine to start 😁