07-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Retrofit M1 and M2 buttons?

1) Would they bolt/screw on properly?

2) Could they be coded to work?

3) If Yes to #2.... what exactly would they do?
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Each button is configurable allowing different levels of performance based on your driving taste. For instance, M1 could be a setting for driving your favorite back road, while M2 saves your most aggressive settings for track events. You can access settings in BMW iDrive by pressing the Setup button.

Setup button: direct access to the configuration of powertrain and chassis systems.
M-specific controls enable the driver to program an individual configuration for the powertrain and chassis technology and so tailor the car’s setup to the situation and their personal preferences. The new BMW X5 M, new BMW X6 M and Competition models come with a Setup button on the centre console that provides direct access to the settings for the engine, chassis, steering, M xDrive all-wheel-drive system and braking system.

Pressing this button brings up a Setup menu in the Control Display that shows the vehicle settings currently engaged and allows the driver to change the mode of the individual systems in just a single step each time using either the touchscreen or the iDrive Controller.

The engine characteristics can be adjusted via the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS settings, while the COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS chassis options give access to the three profiles for the electronically controlled dampers. The driver can choose between COMFORT and SPORT for both the M-specific electromechanical steering and the new braking system.

The M xDrive system, meanwhile, offers a choice of 4WD and 4WD SPORT settings. Two individually composed variants of this M setup can be stored permanently with the driver’s preferred settings for the engine sound, gearshift characteristics of the eight-speed M Steptronic transmission, driving stability control and Auto Start Stop function. The overall vehicle configuration can then be called up at any time by pressing one of the two red M buttons on the steering wheel.

M Mode button for an unadulterated high-performance experience.
The information shown in the instrument cluster and Head-Up Display and the functionality of the driver assistance systems can both be varied in the new BMW X5 M, new BMW X6 M and Competition models using the M Mode button on the centre console.

This gives the driver the choice of ROAD and SPORT settings. The Competition models include an additional TRACK setting designed exclusively for use on race circuits. Switching to SPORT or TRACK mode reduces the amount of information appearing in the displays. In addition, the safety-enhancing interventions initiated by the driver assistance systems – such as active braking or steering inputs – are reduced to a bare minimum or deactivated altogether.

The_new_BMW_X5_M_and_X6_M_Long_Version PDF
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...01292EN/439566

The_new_BMW_X5_M_and_X6_M_Long_Version.pdf

Name:  2020 BMW X5M Competition (1).jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  662.3 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 07-02-2020 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Righhhhhhht.

But can it be retrofitted to an M50i?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Righhhhhhht.

Since you don't have an M car, I don't think you can code them to work. I haven't been able to see anywhere on the coding forums where someone was able to code M software to their non M cars.

I do remember having a similar convo with someone who swapped out their stock steering wheel with an M steering wheel and I asked about the M1/M2 buttons and that poster said they would be dummy buttons with no purpose.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Since you don't have an M car, I don't think you can code them to work. I haven't been able to see anywhere on the coding forums where someone was able to code M software to their non M cars.

I do remember having a similar convo with someone who swapped out their stock steering wheel with an M steering wheel and I asked about the M1/M2 buttons and that poster said they would be dummy buttons with no purpose.
That's kinda what I thought.... but I wasn't sure. I came across a set of M1/M2 buttons with the harness.... and started wondering..... hmmmm.

Last 340 I did a TON of research on thr Mperformance steering wheel (with the track timer and shift light).... it was codeable.... but I ended up trading the car in before I ever got to tackle the project.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Righhhhhhht.

Apologies, thought my last edit was saved but that's a no to retrofitting and thank you to VTENGR for the reply.

Appreciate 0