02-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #23
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
great info. I will be referring to this when I uninstall my Sti-R and Dual BlackVue and re-install in my new X6M.

For those that have the Radar detectors installed, any interference with the laser distance cruise control sending false alerts?

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #24
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
I finally hooked up my radar detector via the mirror tap. I "tapped" into the wiring harness on the backside (side closer to the windshield) as other(s) have reported. It was a really easy process. I would recommend performing with warmer temperatures as plastics are definitely more malleable. I took everything apart once before when it was colder out, even with the heat on and was more difficult to separate and remove plastic coverings. I will now order the blendmount for the detector. I attached a few photos below. Hopefully, someone will find them helpful.
Attached Images

2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black

Last edited by radmjk; 04-07-2020 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #25
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR View Post
The photos in that thread are not photos of the mirror housing for the 2020 G05 X5. They look like photos of the mirror housing that was in my 2016 X5 and the internal plugs and wires in the 2020 G05 X5 are completely different that what is shown in the pictures.
Hi, this is just for clarification as I realize you are all set with your setup but those photos in the other thread are of a G05. It looks identical to my 2020 G05.

Take care!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #26
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Here are some updated photos with the MirrorTap and Blendmount. I would prefer if it could be located closer to the windshield, although not at the expense of being lower, rather with a longer lower bracket. The Blendmount is rock solid however with no movement.
Attached Images

Last edited by radmjk; 04-07-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      04-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #27
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmathortho View Post
I just installed the wiretap to wires shown in picture to my 2020 X5 M50i. I can confirm it works and will shut off about 5 min after car is turned off. Just make sure you grab the wiretap flat connectors with some needle nose pliers (because they can be hard to push in) and push alongside the wire where it will make good contact to the metal shroud (I had to disconnect the molex plug and turn it backwards to get the best angle to insert the wires).
Thanks for the photo depicting wire position/location for the ground and +12V. The image is a little washed out, and was wondering if by chance you recall the color(s) of each of the wires you tapped into? TIA for your help. Cheers.
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmathortho View Post
I just installed the wiretap to wires shown in picture to my 2020 X5 M50i. I can confirm it works and will shut off about 5 min after car is turned off. Just make sure you grab the wiretap flat connectors with some needle nose pliers (because they can be hard to push in) and push alongside the wire where it will make good contact to the metal shroud (I had to disconnect the molex plug and turn it backwards to get the best angle to insert the wires).
Thanks for the photo depicting wire position/location for the ground and +12V. The image is a little washed out, and was wondering if by chance you recall the color(s) of each of the wires you tapped into? TIA for your help. Cheers.
Red (car) to Red + (mirrortap)
Brown (car) to Black - (mirrortap)
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #29
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
Red (car) to Red + (mirrortap)
Brown (car) to Black - (mirrortap)
Great! Thank you!
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #30
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I received some new parts for the Blendmount. The company was very accommodating with the issue I had as far as wanting to bring the detector closer to the windshield. I really couldn't ask for any better service. Kudos to the Blendmount team!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #31
NorCalGator
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Thumbs up Works perfectly

Installed just as your described on my 2019 X5 G05, plastic cover even went flying across room! (Twice!)
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      08-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #32
2020G05
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
I received some new parts for the Blendmount. The company was very accommodating with the issue I had as far as wanting to bring the detector closer to the windshield. I really couldn't ask for any better service. Kudos to the Blendmount team!
what part number did you order to make your RD closer to windshield? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #33
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020G05 View Post
Quote:
Hi, I honestly don't know the specific parts as they sent me "random" parts that they thought I could use and I had to send back the parts that I didn't use. You could use my photos that I posted in this thread and forward to Blendmount as they could probably identify the parts that I used. You could reference my name too, Matthew Kovie.

Good luck!

Last edited by radmjk; 04-04-2023 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Coupon code no longer active
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      08-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #34
2020G05
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020G05 View Post
Quote:
Hi, I honestly don't know the specific parts as they sent me "random" parts that they thought I could use and I had to send back the parts that I didn't use. You could use my photos that I posted in this thread and forward to Blendmount as they could probably identify the parts that I used. You could reference my name too, Matthew Kovie. I have a coupon you could use to save 12%.
http://blendmount.refr.cc/matthewkovie

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll use your link once I'm ready to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #35
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep

Hey Folks,
I just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to all who contributed to this DIY. It's because of the great photos and notes that I was able to get my Valentine 1 Gen2 RD installed (And YES, I did disable the Laser to avoid conflict with the Gesture Control... )

Anyway, just wanted to add a few notes of my own experience:
1) Your X5 is either going to have one of two different mirror covers. The bigger mirror cover is the BMW Connected Drive with the Driving Assistance Professional Package. Either mirror cover pretty much is removed the same way and YES - Attempting to remove the mirror covers on a warm/hot day does make removal easier.

2) Be sure to lay a towel on top of your dashboard before doing the work. Yes it was a hot day. And yes, as the sun was shining it got a bit hot in the car, especially when I was sticking my head up against the glass to view the molex connector and ensuring I was inserting the mirror tap blades in the right spot. I hear that sweat and leather don't mix...

3) Speaking of inserting the mirror tap blades: BMW RED+Green wire = 12 Volt (so that's where you'll insert the RED mirror tap blade). BMW BROWN wire = Ground (so that's where you'll insert the Black mirror tap blade). An important note about the blades. BE CAREFUL to NOT force the blades into the slots too hard or you'll bend them (which is what I accidentally did). The good news is that the blades are somewhat "bendable" but I advise avoiding bending them -- I saw somewhere that using needle nose pliers to grab each blade as you attempt to insert them might help prevent the blades from accidentally bending. ALSO, as someone else noted here on this thread, it's BEST to try and come into the connector from the side that is nearest the windshield.

4) Lastly, I placed a piece of gorilla tape over the area where I had inserted the mirror tap blades as I thought this would help prevent the mirror tap blades from working themselves out -- I don't think this would happen though, given the "snug fit" feeling as I inserted the blades.

5) If you have an RD that uses the standard RJ-11 ("telephone") plug, then you're want to order the Mirror Tap for BMW X5: MT-4015.

Alright. That's what I've got to contribute. Again, I'm so very GRATEFUL for all the guidance from the other folks on this thread. I just felt compelled to "give back" too.

Good Luck with your install!!
Cheers,
-Tony

Appreciate 2
radmjk238.00
Ibiza3478.50
      09-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #36
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Looks great Tony!
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      09-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #37
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
I just did a detector install on a 2019 X5, and used the red/green for + and the black/brown for the -. It works, the only issue is the detector stays on for about 5 minutes after shutting the engine off and closing the door. It's the same whether the key fob is left in the car, the car is locked with the fob, the car is turned "off" via idrive or the Volume control. It seems to be the same amount of time that the ambient lighting stays on. The car settings are set to turn stuff off when the engine is off, and the door is opened.

Does anyone know where to find a hot wire that turns off immediately, and not on a delay? Any in the overhead console / switch panel for the roof and map lights?

The best way to find an ignition-switched live in any vehicle is to use a multimeter.
Simply jam the black probe onto any source of Ground (-) and use the red Positive (+) probe to check each fuse in the various fuseboxes, starting with the fusebox closest to where you need the power.

Step one is to see which fuses are dead while the ignition is in the ‘Accessory’ state (no engine lights On, on dashboard).

Then start the vehicle and check again. Can you find a fuse that’s live when engine is running but dies when engine is killed?

If so, that’s your boy for toys you only want running only when the engine is.

You can buy ‘fuse taps’ -piggy-back connectors that allow you to grab power from a fuse socket without cutting into cables. They, conveniently, also allow you to fuse the supply to your accessory.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #38
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Hi Tony,

Your plastics work is beautiful. Top marks.

Small piece of advice for others though: I wouldn’t advise the tapping of those mirror pins for power as a general rule.

They’ll be supplied by a fuse closely rated for the intended task and adding unspecified load could cause a blown fuse. It may also cause and ‘Electrical consumer’ warning on the dash.

Always best to tap an ignition-switched source at a fusebox. I appreciate this is more work, but it’s the right way to do things.

In a worst case scenario, if your vehicle develops an electrical fault and the vehicle has a DTC code in the system that directs your dealer to a DIY job of that nature, theoretically, you could have your electrical warrantee pulled.

Just a friendlt FYI.

Otherwise, love the spec of that machine of yours with B&W + alcantara headliner. Oh to be living in low-tax USA!

(Also note the EU licence plate on the wall... which country?)
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      10-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #39
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
X5M F95 blendmount install

Incredibly useful thread, thanks everyone for contributing!

Just did an install on F95 - I had to jump around to a few different comments, so just to summarize for future installers: I followed #19 to remove upper panel first (pull from the top after inserting a plastic wedge - very little force was required). To remove the twin panels on the sides I first disconnected the attachment at the top that is visible (push on the tab and pull the cover sideways), then I put a plastic wedge into the seam between the twin panels starting from the bottom (closest to windshield) and disconnected them from each other. After that medium force was required to pull each one out separately because there is another plastic pin on the inside.

The wires are as shown in #21, though my colors are different than what's in that photo - for me black went to black/brown on car, and red to red/green on car.

The wiretap blades fit snug but I could imagine them popping out due to movement so I ziptied the wiretap wire to the stock wires. I didn't have to drill any holes with the blendmount wiretap - it fits very easily through the stem opening and in fact there was enough space for me to adjust the wire a bit and push it in more after putting everything back together.

Putting the plastics together was very very easy - just snap on and click together.

As others have observed the radar detector stays on for a little bit after the car is turned off and locked, and gesture control can trigger laser on V1gen2, but I haven't had time yet to figure out exactly when that happens and if anything can be done about it besides disabling one or the other.

Last edited by Noneya; 10-01-2020 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: adding title to help with search
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      01-12-2021, 10:17 PM   #40
rdavid011
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 45e

Quote:
I finally hooked up my radar detector via the mirror tap. I "tapped" into the wiring harness on the backside (side closer to the windshield) as other(s) have reported. It was a really easy process. I would recommend performing with warmer temperatures as plastics are definitely more malleable. I took everything apart once before when it was colder out, even with the heat on and was more difficult to separate and remove plastic coverings. I will now order the blendmount for the detector. I attached a few photos below. Hopefully, someone will find them helpful.
Great info. Anyway you can tell me how to remove the covers ? It would be create if you have photos. thank you !
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:35 PM   #41
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavid011 View Post
Quote:
Great info. Anyway you can tell me how to remove the covers ? It would be create if you have photos. thank you !
Please check out the first page of this thread, has pretty detailed info and photos of the plastic covers.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:28 PM   #42
rdavid011
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 45e

RADMJK .. thank you !
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:05 AM   #43
murrayjw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Mirror Taps vs plug & play

I assume there is a power connector next to the rear view mirror or overhead center console that I can use for my dash cam.

1) Anybody done this?
2) Is there an aftermarket molex plug splitter for simple "plug & play?"
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #44
GrahamSP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
great info. I will be referring to this when I uninstall my Sti-R and Dual BlackVue and re-install in my new X6M.

For those that have the Radar detectors installed, any interference with the laser distance cruise control sending false alerts?
Resurrecting this old comment/question - I didn't see an answer in the subsequent posts....

Yes, I had Laser interface. I have a 2021 M50i with Executive, DAPP, and Park Assist packages. As soon as I pulled out of my garage, my laser warning went off. Thought it might be a fluke, so I drove around the neighborhood and Laser went off 3 more times. I don't do much daily highway driving, so I turned off Laser for now.

Radar detector is Escort Max360. I have it connected via mirrortap and mounted via blendmount.
Appreciate 0